Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 08:27 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by + or - View Post
San Antonio doesn't have the urbanity or big city feel of Dallas, or even Austin for that matter. It feels like a big suburb with a concentrated downtown. Yes, it's got history and lineage, but it's very slow and not very modern. Austin to San Antonio and vice versa is a major culture shock, because the cities are so incredibly different.
I thought SA felt less like one giant suburb, and more like one seriously run down dilipitated mess of very small old houses. Granted there was also a more suburban element of newer homes.

But yeah, what a disappointment of a city. (I'm not a Texan, so have no stake in supporting one city over another...just that was my impression of S.A.). I originally specifically went to visit because I'd heard so many good things about it. The Riverwalk is nice, but it's kind of 'mall-like' as well..it's nice, but certainly no reason whatsoever to move to San Antonio whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 08:35 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,026,285 times
San Antonio is a very outdoor and recreational city. We have a ton of hike/bike trails and linear creekways connecting many of our parks. Our city was rated one of the top adventure cities by National Geographic last year. Our downtown is very touristy and attracts few locals. Downtown Dallas has a tourist factor, but is also a hub for your cities business activity. Few businesses in San Antonio actually operate downtown. San Antonio is sprawl friendly and comparable to much of California.

Both cities have positive things about them. Depending on your likes and dislikes you will find one city favorable to the other. San Antonio has a much lower violent crime rate despite having about 2/3 the law enforcement of Dallas. In both cities whites are minority (31% in San Antonio compared to 34% in Dallas). The median income is higher in San Antonio, but the home values are lower. The poverty rate is higher in Dallas. Males are a majority in Dallas and females are the majority in San Antonio. San Antonio builds over twice as many new single-family homes each year compared to Dallas. Dallas builds much more multi-family residences (apartments, condos, etc). San Antonio has a lower unemployment rate. San Antonio has a larger concentrated medical center, but Dallas has more overall medical facilities.

I can spit facts all day, but each city varies by area/zip code. I like the suburban lifestyle and being outdoors so San Antonio is my choice. I have a brother that lives near Highland Park and he wouldn't consider living in San Antonio. To each his own.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:38 AM

810 posts, read 1,425,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gglick View Post
Hands down Dallas! Went to law school in SA and lived there for 6 years. If youre an SA native, you love it; otherwise NO! There is so much more to do in Dallas, so many more business opportunities, etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I thought SA felt less like one giant suburb, and more like one seriously run down dilipitated mess of very small old houses. Granted there was also a more suburban element of newer homes.

But yeah, what a disappointment of a city. (I'm not a Texan, so have no stake in supporting one city over another...just that was my impression of S.A.). I originally specifically went to visit because I'd heard so many good things about it. The Riverwalk is nice, but it's kind of 'mall-like' as well..it's nice, but certainly no reason whatsoever to move to San Antonio whatsoever.
Couldn’t disagree more. The majority of the city looks very run-down and old with small pockets of newer areas.

Besides the Riverwalk, there are some unique areas that define SA and its history but I think the city needs to learn to adapt to the 21st century instead of thinking things are just fine the way it is here.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
I have a brother that lives near Highland Park and he wouldn't consider living in San Antonio. To each his own.
Moving from Highland Park to SA is like trading your Lexus in for a Kia. LOL.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:13 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,026,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
Moving from Highland Park to SA is like trading your Lexus in for a Kia. LOL.
You've obviously never been inside The Dominion, Anagua Springs, Olmos Park, or Alamo Heights.

http://www.saluxuryhomes.com/neighborhoods.php

Many of the new homes are over 10,000sf.

Last edited by tgannaway89; 12-30-2009 at 10:24 AM..

Old 12-30-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
You've obviously never been inside The Dominion or Anagua Springs.
I was referring to SA in general. I know about Dominion and have been there but have not been to Anagua Springs.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:11 AM

3,260 posts, read 8,765,323 times
Dallas hands down! San Antonio is just a larger version of Fort Worth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas