Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2009, 09:42 AM

7 posts, read 36,709 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I'm looking for pro and cons of buying a Sotherby's home in Cumberland crossing....and comments on the subdivision!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 10:33 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,091,523 times
Depends on the home. There were a few left that were mostly completed before the rains and winter came and they went belly up.

The others that were not finished, well, let's just say the contractors didn't really do that well of a job in finishing what they did do, and didn't really care that much when ripping out the stuff out of the unfinished homes.

Now as far as a resale existing home...well, home warranties are not really that expensive and hope against all hope that there is no foundation problems. The parent company Shaddock Development Corp, is trying to honor some of the work (from what I hear), but they are on shaky ground as well.

The area is nice, it's close to Twin Creeks, and 121. Cumberland crossing is only about 50% (if that) complete, and with only Dree's in there right now, I don't see them selling enough homes to finish it in less than 2 years.

In other words it's a coin flip. Good luck.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:55 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,252,035 times
There are a couple of foreclosures in the community that have never been occupied and they are Sotherby built. I think Drees expects to be out of there by the end of 2010.

Just do your due dilligence, get a good home inspector, get the comps so you don't overpay too.

Naima

Old 03-17-2009, 04:57 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,743,369 times
I have a Sotherby, built in 2005 and the quality is very good. But I'm not sure I'd consider a Sotherby built in the last several months. The vendors were not being paid, and from what I was told by a police officer, actually converged at the Sotherby corporate office to demand payment and almost became a riot situation. This same officer said they suspected that the number of "new construction site thefts" in Murphy were actually vendors taking back items that were never paid for.

I'd like to think that people will do a good job for the sole reason of wanting to do good work. But I'm not delusional enough to think that shortcuts weren't taken to reduce costs so they could even break even while waiting to be paid.

As far as Shaddock honoring the work, well that would be Peter Shaddock Sr. honoring the work of Peter Shaddock Jr. I'm sure the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:34 PM

7 posts, read 36,709 times
Thanks for the advices...

Old 02-28-2011, 08:05 AM

43 posts, read 115,221 times
how come they Grand homes win soo many awards, if they are not good builder or not using quality product then they should not be winning these awards. Mystry :-]
  • Lee Evans Award for Business Management Excellence
  • Numerous Texas Star Awards
  • DFW Builder of the Year, 2005, 2009 & 2010
  • America’s Best Builder 2011
  • Consumers Choice Awards 4 Consecutive years, 2007, 2008, 2009 & 2010.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:06 AM

43 posts, read 115,221 times
Any Expert
I got specification from Grand Homes. Any one expert in these areas please put some light on these specifications Please. Thank you in advance

Here are the building specifications for both the foundation and framing, if it helps you:

FOUNDATION
Engineered post tension 1. monolithic slab
2. Minimum 3,000 P.S.I. concrete
3. 4' Reinforced brushed concrete lead walks
4. Rear patio 8' x 8', brushed finished
5. Brushed finish front porch
6. Brushed concrete front entry drives
FRAMING
1. Treated base plates
2. Engineered I-Joist flooring system
3. 7/16” OSB roof decking
4. Thermo-ply sheathing behind bricked areas
5. 240 lbs. Premium Architectural Shingle, 30 year warranty
6. ¾” T/G OSB subfloor for 2nd floor
7. All turrets and dormers are shingled. Metal or copper available as an upgrade
8. All porches, bay windows and boxouts shingled. Metal available as an upgrade
9. Fiber cement siding and soffit per plan
10. Continuous ventilated soffit

Old 02-28-2011, 10:21 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,091,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qmoosa View Post
Any Expert
I got specification from Grand Homes. Any one expert in these areas please put some light on these specifications Please. Thank you in advance

Here are the building specifications for both the foundation and framing, if it helps you:

FOUNDATION
Engineered post tension 1. monolithic slab
2. Minimum 3,000 P.S.I. concrete
3. 4' Reinforced brushed concrete lead walks
4. Rear patio 8' x 8', brushed finished
5. Brushed finish front porch
6. Brushed concrete front entry drives
FRAMING
1. Treated base plates
2. Engineered I-Joist flooring system
3. 7/16” OSB roof decking
4. Thermo-ply sheathing behind bricked areas
5. 240 lbs. Premium Architectural Shingle, 30 year warranty
6. ¾” T/G OSB subfloor for 2nd floor
7. All turrets and dormers are shingled. Metal or copper available as an upgrade
8. All porches, bay windows and boxouts shingled. Metal available as an upgrade
9. Fiber cement siding and soffit per plan
10. Continuous ventilated soffit

Here's the problem, which you can search everywhere on the internet and here at C-D. It appears that either a) Grand Homes does NOT build to it's spec or b) the site/development mgr.'s don't oversee their contractors who are supposed to be building to GH's spec's.

Google: Grand Homes+foundation problems.

Also, the OP was questioning Sotherby homes. if you want to spin an old topic...just start a new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: