Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 10:38 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
But what are the numbers of illegals? Anyway, still there are more Hispanics in the Houston (34%) metropolitan area than in Dallas - Fort Worth (28%). Dallas - Fort Worth also has over 500,000 more people. than the Houston metropolitan area.
Major premise: Illegals cross the border (We know this not because they do, but because there is little being done to stop them).
Minor premise: The border is closer to Houston than Dallas which, as a major city, is further south.
Therefore, Houston has more illegals than Dallas - Fort Worth.
That is the WORST logic I have ever heard.

If that were so then do explain why Chicago has the 2nd largest Mexican community in the US. It is really far from the border.

Given that there are 2 million total Hispanic residents in Houston vs. 1.85 million total Hispanic residents in the DFW area, the difference is tiny. If a person who is white wants to escape Hispanic residents, it would be stupid (I cannot emphasize that enough) to even remotely consider Dallas. It would be dumb beyond belief, it would unthinkable that you could come here and be away from "illegals" as we have almost as many of them. A person looking to escape Hispanics should leave Texas or move to a smaller town in East Texas (even then you cant really escape them).

You probably just need to drop the racism. There is no way you can tell if someone is illegal or legal just be looking at them. There is no fool proof way to segregate the illegals and legals by census taking.

Again, I think you know virtually nothing about Dallas.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:09 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
Quote:
Major premise: Illegals cross the border (We know this not because they do, but because there is little being done to stop them).
Minor premise: The border is closer to Houston than Dallas which, as a major city, is further south.
Therefore, Houston has more illegals than Dallas - Fort Worth.
Looks like I need to brush up on my Texas geography. Who knew Houston was located on the banks of the Rio Grande?

Old 08-04-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotextist View Post
Looks like I need to brush up on my Texas geography. Who knew Houston was located on the banks of the Rio Grande?
Indeed. Both from Houston and Dallas, Nuevo Laredo is the closest border entry into Mexico.

From Houston to Nuevo Laredo, the distance is 320 miles
From Dallas to Nuevo Laredo, the distance is 418 miles

Somehow, I dont think the 98 miles is going to make a world of difference. Especially since Chicago is 1400 miles from the closest Mexican border and it has more Mexicans than DFW or Houston.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:57 AM

912 posts, read 1,888,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm214 View Post
People are leaving California because of the ridiculously high cost of living. It has nothing to do with Hispanics. I really don't have a response for the rest of your post since I don't think it's based in reality.
Please, let us not overheat the conversation. I do know what "ad hominem" means. I just laid out the argument rationally. If you don't understand something, that doesn't mean it is irrational. Perhaps it is just a difference of opinion?
So, are Hispanics also fleeing the high cost of living in California as well? If so, then I will agree with you.
Look, it is racist to hate someone as it is prejudice to prefer ones own culture over anothers, but it is not inappropriate to prefer to live with ones own kind. This is reasonable and rational.
As terrible as this might sound, I, as an Anglo, prefer to be with my own kind. This is also reasonable and rational.
Why?
Well, I believe in the American work ethic. Let me explain how such a strange culture came about.
The people who pilgrimmed over to this continent were puritans and pilgrims. Check (this is rational).
As the Puritans pilgrimmed to escape religious persecution, the pilgrims pilgrimaged over seeking a better life for themselves. Check.
Most of these early pilgrim settlers were not farmers but were master craftsmen and artisans, as farmers who knew how to farm in Europe had no incentive to pick up and leave. Check.
As there existed no food to eat, the master craftsmen and artisans had to learn how to farm. Check.
So, what is a person hell bent on social status to do? Well, they didn't just learn to farm lazily like European farmers did and still do, but they did it 18 hours a day, six days a week! Out of this phenomenon came the American work ethic and the idea of quality! Check and whew!
There you go!
Now, Mexicans don't know anything about this. Do Mexicans work hard? Yes. Are they rebellious? Yes. Will they run through red lights without even stopping their vehicles like they still do in Spain? Yes. Do Mexicans mind it if bugs are in their food? Not so much as Anglos are concerned about it. Will they pick up a piece of meat that has fallen onto the floor to cook it? Probably. Do they care if their table is cleaned before sitting down at it? Not always. Will Mexicans wait all day long in a long line? From what I've seen, yes. Okay, all this is a bit my opinion.
Still, the culture that created the rich society is the Anglo culture. Check.
The Mexican culture is the one fleeing a poverty caused by tyranny. Check.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Indeed. Both from Houston and Dallas, Nuevo Laredo is the closest border entry into Mexico.

From Houston to Nuevo Laredo, the distance is 320 miles
From Dallas to Nuevo Laredo, the distance is 418 miles

Somehow, I dont think the 98 miles is going to make a world of difference. Especially since Chicago is 1400 miles from the closest Mexican border and it has more Mexicans than DFW or Houston.
Yes, but there are two major ways of getting to Houston (59 and 1-10) from Mexico as compared to Dallas (I-35). So, this increases that distance significantly.
It is amazing how people here consider the numbers of Hispanics as a negative.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
That is the WORST logic I have ever heard.

If that were so then do explain why Chicago has the 2nd largest Mexican community in the US. It is really far from the border.

Given that there are 2 million total Hispanic residents in Houston vs. 1.85 million total Hispanic residents in the DFW area, the difference is tiny. If a person who is white wants to escape Hispanic residents, it would be stupid (I cannot emphasize that enough) to even remotely consider Dallas. It would be dumb beyond belief, it would unthinkable that you could come here and be away from "illegals" as we have almost as many of them. A person looking to escape Hispanics should leave Texas or move to a smaller town in East Texas (even then you cant really escape them).

You probably just need to drop the racism. There is no way you can tell if someone is illegal or legal just be looking at them. There is no fool proof way to segregate the illegals and legals by census taking.

Again, I think you know virtually nothing about Dallas.
But in Houston one can tell when someone is homeless? Therefore, it is legal for Houston police officers to harass the homeless by asking them for their identification, yet it is not legal for them to harass the illegals? What? Yet, while the homeless are legal citizens, the illegals are legally homeless? Excuse me?
I think you have perceived me as being conservative and, therefore, you have classified me as a racist. I am not a conservative or a liberal. I am exactly moderate in that I don't really care either way in matters concerning most things. That's right. I just don't care.
Now, I do care about Texas because I am a Texan.
The metropolitan area of Chicago is much larger than Dallas - Fort Worth or Houston. The city core of Chicago will tend to have a higher concentration of minorities.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:55 PM

719 posts, read 1,554,072 times
Mister Nifty,
Your comparisson of Pilgrims to Mexican immigrants is pathetic, racist and shows a complete lack of understanding of history as well as current events. The situation in Europe, at the time when many of our Anglo ancestors came to America, as well as the reasons Mexican's come now, were/are virtually the same.
Our Anglo ancestors came here to make a better life for themselves and their families and to escape numerous forms of persecution and to find better opportunities. Now why do you suppose Mexicans are coming here now?
Your comment on work ethic is one of the most ignorant statements I've ever read on here. It's August. It's 100+ degrees. Go take a look at who is doing manual labor outdoors today. Let me know what you see. Illegal or not, you absolutely can NOT question the work ethic of these people.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
But in Houston one can tell when someone is homeless? Therefore, it is legal for Houston police officers to harass the homeless by asking them for their identification, yet it is not legal for them to harass the illegals? What? Yet, while the homeless are legal citizens, the illegals are legally homeless? Excuse me?
I think you have perceived me as being conservative and, therefore, you have classified me as a racist. I am not a conservative or a liberal. I am exactly moderate in that I don't really care either way in matters concerning most things. That's right. I just don't care.
The metropolitan area of Chicago is much larger than Dallas - Fort Worth or Houston. The city core of Chicago will tend to have a higher concentration of minorities.
Its not about being conservative or liberal and Im not here to label you. If you prefer to be around your own race, thats fine. I take no issue with that. Lots of people prefer that.

Its just that you dont seem to have your facts straight. For example, this last fact you mentioned. Chicago has a higher concentration of White residents on a city and metro area level. The City of Chicago is 31.5% White, vs. 28% White in Houston and Dallas is 30% White (all measured in terms of Non-Hispanic White).

Then there was the statement about Dallas/Fort Worth being the place all white people flee too. Metro Houston received more domestic migration in 2009, but DFW received more international migration in 2009 (and since 2000) especially from Mexico. Since there is no real way to measure illegal vs. legal residents, thats all we have to go by.

Bottom line, white people are moving to Houston and there are tons upon tons of Hispanics in DFW.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:29 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,765,323 times
Quote:
Are you racist?

Old 08-04-2010, 01:43 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
If someone wants to be racist, there is really nothing we can do about it. Except, letting them live in their little holes and ignoring them. Just don't respond to Nifty. He'll still post a page long discussion to himself (I've seen it before).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas