Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 04:23 PM

143 posts, read 702,394 times

Advertisements

I live a few blocks away from there. The units there seem to be reasonable but I am concerned about this:

1. The windows are single pane to go with the "old warehouse" look, IIRC. That has to be terrible for energy waste and noise.

2. I don't live as close to 75 as these units. Even with brand new double-pane windows AND storm windows over them I can still hear the noise from 75. The Live Oak Lofts are VERY close to 75 - especially the units facing 75. Even the ones opposite 75 might have problems if the new DART trains are ringing those bells "Ding! Ding!" all day long.

3. How is noise with the neighbors? I believe the floors are concrete so that should be a plus.

If anyone has firsthand experience with this complex please give me your take on them. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 04:38 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times
I sent you a DM about another forum where a couple of the posters live there -- also the new DART rails station in front of there should be open by August or so...

Old 05-06-2009, 04:15 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,518,823 times
I was on the sales team at Live Oak Lofts when those were converted to condos back around 2004, so I've spent lots of time in that building. The units facing downtown on the west side will have the most noise because they look right over the freeway. The ones on the east side overlooking Good Latimer will be looking right at the Dart trains as they pass by. The trains themselves are pretty quiet, but if they ring bells at all hours that could be a problem. The quietest units and also some of the best views are going to be the interior units overlooking the very large courtyard & pool area. You are correct, the building is built of concrete & steel so there is minimal noise between floors. I never noticed much noise from between units, but I've never spent the night there either. The building offers good value. With the addition of DART rail I suspect that the general area is going to build up over the next several years. Hopefully the City Lights retail project (or similar) across the street will be built at some point in the not too distant future.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:32 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,466,359 times
I have been in the building and known people that live there. I liek the place but I wouldnt live in any apartment that faces a major highway. Nor would I want to face the rail. If you can get one that doesnt face either of those things you should be fine. I prefer the Continental lofts managed by westdale properties. I lived there for two years and I loved it. Also look into Adam Hats, and Futura lofts.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:36 PM

133 posts, read 514,506 times
Where's the nearest coffee shop to here?

Old 05-07-2009, 06:51 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,518,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago_transplant View Post
From 2502 Live Oak, the closest coffee shops would probably be in Deep Ellum. Cafe Brazil perhaps? That would be several blocks away.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:07 PM

52 posts, read 175,333 times
I live here and love it. True, the windows are not great, but you can have them replaced if you so desire (not cheap, not sure about ROI). Otherwise, great value for the cost (relative to Uptown and Downtown condo prices). My unit has some indirect visual/acoustical exposure to the highway and you can hear it, but it's not really that bad and you get used to it. In addition to the DART trains, you'll also hear planes flying directly above, which is virtually unavoidable in central Dallas. It's all part of urban living. Embrace it!

Old 05-10-2009, 10:06 PM

81 posts, read 237,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago_transplant View Post
Murray Street Coffee in Deep Ellum or Opening Bell Coffee Downtown.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:24 PM

8 posts, read 27,136 times
I moved in about 5 years ago and have one of the 3rd floor units looking over 75. Its a bit noisier than other places but you really do get to the point of not noticing pretty fast once you settle in. More annoying can be the sirens of emergency vehicles - with Baylor and 2 fire stations in close proximity (and that use Good Latimer) those can annoy when they forget to turn off their sirens when they enter the residential area at night. The option to replace the windows with nitrogen filled dual pane glass is available, and in fact some work is currently being done to organize windpw replacement packs on a community level. ($1100/window)

Association dues are fairly low but not cheap. Small units are less than $200/mo and the largest ones are around $500/mo or so. With the city doing its best to kill off Deep Ellum the values have declined very marginally with fewer restaraunts in walking range. As others said, Murray's and Cafe Brazil are the closest coffee options. I expect that to change when the area across the way is developed, as well as with the new DART station going in across the alley. Bars are closer, with Lizard Lounge and Prime both very close.

Honestly its a good time to move in, values haven't gone up and DART is pretty close to completion. (City Lights has been dragging on for 5 years now and still haven't broken ground -- one reason values have stayed constant with the construction and death of Deep Ellum contributing) At least if you are looking long term. Over the short term I doubt its going to go up very fast, except for a slight rise when the DART opens.

One thing to be aware of is that AC units are probably getting close to replacement. (I already replaced mine - and contractors don't like working on them as designed into the building) I would probably either require an offset or replacement before closing.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:39 PM

143 posts, read 702,394 times
I went past the place last night. I saw the lift(?) that they use to put new windows up. $1100 a window is insane. The nitrogen gas probably does as little as the argon gas in my new windows. The only thing that might help is if the windows are storm-rated where they have a plastic film on the outside of the glass which cuts down on the noise. Otherwise, I don't see how people can stand it. At my place I have a steady low rumble of noise of the trucks, and of course, the jerks on motorcycles that have to make their bikes as loud as possible.

I think the people facing west and north are not going to like the DART train crossing the street. When I was getting new windows from Don Young a person there told me about someone who lived near McKinney Avenue and hated the dinging noise from the trolley. He had new windows put in and still heard the noise. He had storm windows put over his new windows - just like I did. I don't know if that worked for him.

I am curious as to how the noise is between units that are next to each other on the same floor. I had a cousin that stayed over a friends unit over at the South Side on Lamar. He said the sounds from the next door neighbor were so loud he "felt like he was sleeping in the same room as them".

Personally, I kind of like the units over at 3015/3025 Bryan in that price range. As you can tell, I am big on noise. Right now I can hear every step the people above me make and it feels like my personal space is violated.

If anyone has more insight on the units over at 2502 Live Oak keep them coming. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas