Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 10:15 AM

6 posts, read 11,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acntx View Post
This set of photos includes a few historically significant landmarks and notable buildings in the city.

W.A. Strain House as seen from Lancaster-Hutchins Road.
Built in 1896, the farmstead is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Strain family played a prominent role in the early history of Lancaster and the property is still inhabited by the heirs of W.A. Strain. Additional information can be found here.

Rocky Crest School
This historical marker was unveiled during a September 8 dedication ceremony at the former Rocky Crest School. During segregation, African American students from Lancaster and the surrounding areas attended Rocky Crest. At one point, the school served roughly 18% of all minority students in Dallas County. Now known as the J.D. Hall Learning Center, the campus is Lancaster ISD's alternative school.

Pleasant Run Community
This historic marker commemorates the community of Pleasant Run, established in the late 1840s. Pleasant Run was located north of the original town of Lancaster, which was founded several years later in 1852. The name lives on today through Pleasant Run Road, a major east-west thoroughfare running through the southern Dallas County cities of Cedar Hill, DeSoto, Lancaster, and Wilmer.

Regions Bank Building
The Pleasant Run marker is located in the front parking lot of Regions Bank. Standing 56 feet high, this four-story office building completed in 1974 is the closest thing we have to a skyscraper.

Grain Elevator
This old grain elevator is located in a largely undeveloped area of eastern Lancaster near the border with Wilmer. Visible for several miles around, it is a true relic of the past.

I also photographed more neighborhoods throughout the city, but I'll post them later.
Interesting photos and information. Nice work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 10:55 AM

3,983 posts, read 5,015,433 times
This thread is awesome. My friend just moved to Lancaster about 3 weeks ago...I'm just sure I'm going to see her house photographed and placed here!! I've visited her twice and am now searching rentals just in case a cute little historical home opens up! She lives in downtown, I guess it would be...one of the little streets off Main...just blocks from the visitor's center.

It's quiet, friendly, clean. I didn't have any doubts but I didn't have any idea it was so charming. She drove me around all the little areas she planned on visiting and I was pleasantly surprised. For all those wondering about the "south of I-30" comments, I have this to say: with all the rolling hills, green trees and open fields - how on earth could you go wrong? It's so pretty...and all the homes featured here is a sampling of how lovely it is.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
This thread is awesome. My friend just moved to Lancaster about 3 weeks ago...I'm just sure I'm going to see her house photographed and placed here!! I've visited her twice and am now searching rentals just in case a cute little historical home opens up! She lives in downtown, I guess it would be...one of the little streets off Main...just blocks from the visitor's center.

It's quiet, friendly, clean. I didn't have any doubts but I didn't have any idea it was so charming. She drove me around all the little areas she planned on visiting and I was pleasantly surprised. For all those wondering about the "south of I-30" comments, I have this to say: with all the rolling hills, green trees and open fields - how on earth could you go wrong? It's so pretty...and all the homes featured here is a sampling of how lovely it is.
You're right. We moved to Lancaster two months ago and our family loves it here.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:44 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Thanks for posting these. I don't live in Dallas, but I know several people here SA that had one time or another. When we pass through the exits to the southern burbs on road trips to Dallas, all I ever hear is "you don't ever want to live here." When I ask why, it's always the same answer -- it's the crime. So, finally the last time I took out my phone and did research on crime, and guess what? Crime wasn't any worse than in the northern burbs or where we live in SA. I show them the real stats. End of conversation...LOL

Old 09-26-2012, 03:49 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,105,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post

Thanks for the compliment. I love the historic homes around downtown and try to snap a few photographs whenever I can. I dug through some of my older photos and found two homes on Main Street, just west of downtown that I took in May 2011. I added them to the post below.

All the best to your friend. I hope her stay here is pleasant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarilynHW View Post
You're right. We moved to Lancaster two months ago and our family loves it here.
Nice to hear from you again. Glad everything is going well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Thanks for posting these. I don't live in Dallas, but I know several people here SA that had one time or another. When we pass through the exits to the southern burbs on road trips to Dallas, all I ever hear is "you don't ever want to live here." When I ask why, it's always the same answer -- it's the crime. So, finally the last time I took out my phone and did research on crime, and guess what? Crime wasn't any worse than in the northern burbs or where we live in SA. I show them the real stats. End of conversation...LOL
Perception isn't always reality and I'm glad you pointed it out. The southern suburbs have more in common with other area suburbs than differences.

Last edited by Acntx; 09-26-2012 at 04:13 PM..

Old 09-26-2012, 03:52 PM

Default More neighborhood photos

Beltline Ashmoore
A small subdivision of 88 mostly two-story homes.

Saddlebrook Estates
Located approximately a quarter mile west of Beltline Ashmoore.

Meadow Creek Estates
A large neighborhood in central Lancaster. Homes in this area were built from the late 1970s through the mid-1990s.

To the south of Meadow Creek Estates is Hearthstone, one of the newest subdivisions in Lancaster.

I took these two Hearthstone photos back in September 2009.

Millbrook East
A newer subdivision located east of the original Millbrook neighborhood.

Palma Pita Street, looking east from Chapman Drive.

Two homes on West Main Street near downtown Lancaster. Taken in May 2011.

Last edited by Acntx; 08-13-2017 at 03:11 PM..

Old 09-26-2012, 04:09 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Quote:
Thanks for the compliment. I love the historic homes around downtown and try to snap a few photographs whenever I can. I dug through some of my older photos and found two homes on Main Street, just west of downtown that I took in May 2011. I added them to the post below.

All the best to your friend. I hope her stay here is pleasant.

Nice to hear from you again. Glad everything is going well!

Perception isn't always reality and I appreciate that you pointed it out. The southern suburbs aren't that different from other suburban communities.
Yep, a burb. Could easily be Irving, Garland, Richardson, etc. Your photos show that same thing we see everywhere. Lancaster is just a bit farther out... but I think the real estate prices are pretty good there.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:53 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,015,433 times
It's slightly further out but it "feels" quiet and country...part of it's charm, I think.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Beltline Ashmoore
A small subdivision of 88 mostly two-story homes.

Saddlebrook Estates
Located approximately a quarter mile west of Beltline Ashmoore.

Meadow Creek Estates
A large neighborhood in central Lancaster. Homes in this area were built from the late 1970s through the mid-1990s.

To the south of Meadow Creek Estates is Hearthstone, one of the newest subdivisions in Lancaster.

I took these two Hearthstone photos back in September 2009.

Millbrook East
A newer subdivision located east of the original Millbrook neighborhood.

Palma Pita Street, looking east from Chapman Drive.

Two homes on West Main Street near downtown Lancaster. Taken in May 2011.

Great photos. BTW, how large are those homes in Beltline Ashmoore?

Old 09-28-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarilynHW View Post
Great photos. BTW, how large are those homes in Beltline Ashmoore?
Thanks. The two-story homes in Beltline Ashmoore are approximately 2,900 to 4,300 square feet. There are also a few single-story homes that are smaller in size (approximately 2,200+ square feet).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas