Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 12:58 AM

3 posts, read 9,517 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm a single guy looking to build a bachelor pad, but I haven't been in Dallas long enough to know where the good spots are. I'm basically looking for a 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom apt for myself, and my price range is $1000 - $1500. (Yes, I know I could buy a house, but living in the suburbs is NOT my interest -- besides I might move to LA or NYC in a couple of years if I get bored with Dallas, who knows).

I was originally thinking of Monterra in Las Colinas or Post Uptown Village in Uptown. I really don't know, as I've never visited either. I want something upscale, but not so expensive as to price out the single women. I'm in my early 30's, professional, good career, and seeking a community with lots of single women around. I'm a pig . I might apply for The Bachelor one day, watch out! But enough about me -- please tell me where the good-looking, young, and successful people in Dallas live???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 02:38 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,323,105 times
Dude, Uptown, by a MILLION miles. If you live in LC, you will be white-knuckling it home from Uptown/Downtown/Greenville/AAC constantly.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:56 AM

3 posts, read 9,517 times
I just saw 4eversearching's thread about "If you're down-to-earth, non-yuppie, 30s and single, THEN what is the best area to live?" -- well, I'm looking for the exact opposite, I am that snobby yuppie. I happen to like $14 martinis, sushi, and "scene" girls.

I just googled this place next to SMU called The Shelby, which is brand-spanking-new (they are just about to finish building it). Is the neighborhood any good?

Old 06-11-2009, 05:03 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnat View Post
I just saw 4eversearching's thread about "If you're down-to-earth, non-yuppie, 30s and single, THEN what is the best area to live?" -- well, I'm looking for the exact opposite, I am that snobby yuppie. I happen to like $14 martinis, sushi, and "scene" girls.

I just googled this place next to SMU called The Shelby, which is brand-spanking-new (they are just about to finish building it). Is the neighborhood any good?
Sounds like Las Colinas is the place for you, with the occasional to frequent foray into the OakLawn/UpTown scene. Wouldn't want any stray ladies dragging over to bang on your door.

As far as SMU, it's in the park cities area so the neighborhood would be upscale. So would living and the residents and your 15 bills begin to pale. And upscale by Dallas standards is more like eyeballs being in the nostrils. 'Specially in the park cities tho' breaking in would be a good challenge..

Old 06-11-2009, 07:03 AM

6,820 posts, read 14,034,515 times
I would go with Uptown over Las Colinas based on what you want. You would be right in the heart of everything. It would be a perfect fit. I think if you were to explore both places you would come to the same conclusion.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:43 AM

58 posts, read 153,008 times
What if you're a young professional and you don't drink? Where should you live?

Old 06-11-2009, 07:49 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
Uptown over Las Colinas, for sure. I would even say the place by SMU over Las Colinas.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:39 AM

702 posts, read 2,723,676 times
I'm 23 and I would definitely choose to live in Uptown over Las Colinas! The "scene" is trendier and there are plenty of bars and clubs in uptown... there are few in Las Colinas. I visit my friends that live in lofts in Las Colinas and always run into families or old people (40 year olds). I actually have a friend that lives in the Monterra of Las Colinas and while it is nice, it is a bit too traditional for my liking.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:06 AM

70 posts, read 294,002 times
I lived in Las Colinas for a short time and there's not much to do, I would definitely choose Uptown.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:08 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,802,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan#1 View Post
I visit my friends that live in lofts in Las Colinas and always run into families or old people (40 year olds).
Yikes!!! I hope this isn't the new "old"!!!

All in perspective, my dear, all in perspective... and what side of that "old" you're viewing from!

But, back to the OP, while I'm personally partial to the Las Colinas area, I would have to agree with the other posters as well that Uptown sounds like it would be the very best fit for ya!

Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas