Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 09:28 AM

8 posts, read 18,228 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the Dallas area. I work near DFW airport in Irving area. I don't want a long commute, only like 20-30 minutes, because I work 9-5 during traditional rush hour times. I am 30 years old, no kids. I may like to go "out" once a week at most. But, nice to be able to walk around cafes or little stores. Great to have a food store nearby, but don't need to live near tons of big box stores or malls.

I am not buying a home, so I don't want to live in far out quiet suburbs. It seems very convenient to work, to live in Las Colinas, however, a bit boring to me, and so close to airport noise. Lakewood on White Rock Lake looks lovely, being able to walk around lake community, but a bit too family oriented, and too far a commute to work unfortunately. Highland park looks nice, but expensive homes, although, maybe there is something to rent. I am looking for a nice 1br apartment in the $1300 range.

I am moving from a city. I am used to walking and not driving.
I don't want to live in official "downtown" dallas with the tall office buildings and 30 story high rise apartment buildings. However, I have been reading about uptown, the village, m streets, oak cliff, oak lawn, etc.... Seems like a good mix of townhomes, condos, etc...and then I could still walk to some coffee shops, etc....

It would be great to have a cool pool to swim in, at the apt complex, since Dallas is hot.

However, of these somewhat light urban areas in uptown, which area has the most trees and seems prettiest? I would like to live somewhere not too far out of city that has trees and stuff. But, then the second issue is not being too far from Irving.

Any suggestions to balance my three needs. Basically, somewhere with good access to stuff in downtown dallas, not too far from work in irving. And, of these areas somewhere near uptown, which looks most green and suburban (without actually being suburban)??

I have looked at google satellite and read forums already. WHen I look on Google Satellite, I can see how green some of the "suburbs" are, like Highland Park, University Park, Lakewood, etc.... However, irving, downtown, and uptown don't look too green, it seems.

Please give me some areas to live in for suggestions???!!! Thanks!!

Last edited by dallasapt; 03-11-2010 at 09:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 11:05 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
The commute from Uptown/Oak Lawn is easy coming and going - against rush hour. I did it for years. From Lakewood the commute would get old after the first hour. M Streets would be like the Lakewood commute. From east of US75 you have to cross the Park cities and they do everything they can to make sure you don't want to do that. Loop 12 is for soccer moms and traffic moves accordingly. Forget 635, it's not really intended for moving traffic.

There's a cool area in Las Colinas with some apartments and bars on a canal (or something like that, only went there for drinking after work). And forget the walking thing to get places. Some in the DFW do walk but not to get somewhere... just isn't done. If you're with the telco then LasColinas will do you well.

Highland Park and University Park are top dollar. If you're not in the big bucks you can forget that. Make that really big bucks. You might notice Turtle Creek runs south out of Highland Park. If you're looking for green that's as good as it's gonna get and you can get it in Uptown/OakLawn.

Maybe taking a six month rental in LasColinas would be a good way to start. Don't worry about airport noise from DFW, it doesn't go to Las Colinas. Seems like some people in Grapevine are starting to complain but hey, the airport was there first. Well, that is, Grapevine was a country town til DFW came along. There is jet noise in OakLawn, between Maple and Lemmon Ave.

Last edited by WillysB; 03-11-2010 at 11:18 AM..

Old 03-11-2010, 11:43 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
I would look in Knox-Henderson area, the very north end of "uptown" bordering Highland Park to the west and M Streets/ East Dallas/ Lakewood to gte east.

It is an older crowd than the post-college uptown kids, definitely more late 20's to 40's, singles and couples. There are tons of restaurants & shops (with a few bars sprinkled in, but nottoo many) within walking distance or a very short drive.

It is adjacent to the Katy Trail for jogging & biking and you can always walk in Highland Park, too, for a change of scenery. I live close by and do that often! You are also only a 10 min drive to White Rock if you feel you'll use the lake for biking, etc.

$1300 will get you a nice 1br apt in a complex (like Knoxbridge) or a condo rental from a smaller landlord. You'll need to look at big complexes if a pool is non-negotiable.

I think even 6 mos in Las Colinas will have you thinking you hate Dallas so go ahead and start in a fun, pretty, vibrant neighborhood like Knox-Henderson (particularly the Knox Street side, west of 75 Central Expy).

Old 03-11-2010, 02:46 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
I second TC - Lakewood itself - east of Abrams, south of Mockingbird, north of Lakewood Country Club is extremely family-oriented but the adjacent areas are more single, professional couple, boho, enterprenuer, artist, free-spirit friendly. Lakewood is a bit farther and you have a few road barriers to getting to Irving. I think you would love it but you should probably go for Uptown or Knox-Henderson first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas