Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 11:49 AM

126 posts, read 443,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Please get off your soapbox by pretending all educated on teh internetz already, REALLY? C'mon NOTHING will change. Here's your proof. WOW! Google is hard to use.

Economic Bad Times Put Minorities at Higher Crime Risk - US News and World Report
I have no reason to pretend. You seem to be convinced that all minorities are either suffering or doomed to suffer simply because we're minorities. I guess I'm a bit more hopeful than that.

Your article is only proof that people who are in economically depressed circumstances tend to be victimized more often. That's pretty obvious. And the fact that many people in that category are minorities is pretty obvious given the demographics of this country. You tend to jump to pretty ridiculous conclusions, but whatever.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:52 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,213,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Don't go attacking MPSMom. How do you know whether or not she is educated or not? Sure, that google article is what you see, but do you ever question things? Do you ever ask why that is so? You can't believe everything you see or take everything at face value.
Fine, I can play your little games if you want. Yes, sometimes I question man landing on the moon and occasionally when I glance at the tabloids in the supermarket. You want EVEN more PROOF, okay, no problem, but please don't expect to be attacked when I was attacked first.

Proof is in teh puddin' LOL! Ya'll have a blessed day and remember too much interweb forumz can be detrimental to your overall health HAHAHA!

Okay use this website and notice the zipcodes:

Most Dangerous Neighborhoods - WalletPop

Next, plug in these zipcodes into this website and click on "VIEW COMMUNITY DEMOGRAPHICS"

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Ain't life grand?

Last edited by Yac; 05-23-2012 at 07:04 AM..

Old 06-22-2009, 11:53 AM

6,823 posts, read 14,036,923 times
Quote:
Please get off your soapbox by pretending all educated on teh internetz already, REALLY? C'mon NOTHING will change. Here's your proof. WOW! Google is hard to use.

Economic Bad Times Put Minorities at Higher Crime Risk - US News and World Report

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the economic times have put poor people at a higher risk of crime. I will give you minorities make up a higher precentage of the poor but certainly poor whites that this economy will be affecting also. I going to bow out on this thread because it really should not be on this forum. Good day to all.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:54 AM

25 posts, read 98,560 times
Quote:
Sorry my view of the world is what I see everyday, go head, turn on the news, I dare you, or better yet go into a "bad neighborhood" please tell me what you see and who you see. Your view of the world is distorted by your "politically correct" bandwagon ways. I just have the cajones to say what most people already have known since being born. Good day, sir.

So you think that all black people in low income neighborhoods are criminals? Base on your comment, I highly doubt that you know anybody in the "hood". You are probably one of those guys who drive down the main streets and assume that you have us all figure out.

Media has a very strong influence on people's perception of others. I remember all the way up to jr high, I always thought that there were no poor white people because of what I see on TV. When you see whites on television, you will the nice middle class neighborhood with both parents being very successful and the kids are just the perfect students. It was like whites didn't have any flaws. But it is the total opposite with blacks and latinos.

My advice for both side is to get to know some people from the other race before you pass judgement on a entire race.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:54 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Fine, I can play your little games if you want. Yes, sometimes I question man landing on the moon and occasionally when I glance at the tabloids in the supermarket. You want EVEN more PROOF, okay, no problem, but please don't expect to be attacked when I was attacked first.

Proof is in teh puddin' LOL! Ya'll have a blessed day and remember too much interweb forumz can be detrimental to your overall health HAHAHA!

Okay use this website and notice the zipcodes:

Most Dangerous Neighborhoods - WalletPop

Next, plug in these zipcodes into this website and click on "VIEW COMMUNITY DEMOGRAPHICS"

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Ain't life grand?
Statistics is one thing. The reason behind the statistics is another. You have to ask why certain neighborhoods with specific demographics have more problems with crime. I don't just accept the statistics. i go and research the reasons why things are the way they are.

Last edited by Yac; 05-23-2012 at 07:04 AM..

Old 06-22-2009, 12:18 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
This must have happened in W. Plano.
Yeah did you happen to read all the comments at the DMN and some other local blogs after a guy was attacked and put into a coma while attending the Rascal Flatts concert at GASP "Fair Park"?

The usual types were railing on Fair Park and South Dallas - some of them from Plano -- then it turns out the culprit is a white kid from W. Plano...

BTW he is still 'on the lam' the last I heard...

Old 06-22-2009, 12:26 PM

6,823 posts, read 14,036,923 times
I saw that and was like WTF! Seems the guy sucker punched him and he hit his head on the concrete when he fell. I am sure daddy and his attorney are working out the details with the police before he turns himself in.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:30 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
To the OP, this is why there is a bad perception of blacks in America. This bad perception has existed since the early days of America. The image of blacks as bad people as a whole has been so ingrained in contemporary American society that some people still react to it unconsciously. Back in the old days most people came out and admitted they didn't like blacks and didn't bother to defend not liking them. Nowadays many people hide it, make excuses for it, or even use statistics to back it up. While some people don't want to be hateful, the attitudes have been ingrained for hundreds of years. It is going to take a while before those attitudes are engineered out of American society. Even with the election of a black president, this is still going to take a while.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:37 PM

438 posts, read 1,783,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorbroni View Post
My question to white people is "Do you think of us as thieves at first impressions?"
No, if by "us" you mean black folks.

I make judgements about my family's safety based on the individual and the situation.

On a purely personal anecdote note: I have been robbed exactly once, by a young black male in a largely white setting. The three most recent armed robberies (including a shooting victim) in my immediate neighborhood (within a half-mile) were performed by black males (2 young, 1 middle aged). Again, in a largely white setting. In my tiny little sphere of recent experience young black men are way overrepresented in the violent crime scenario. Would I be smart to factor in race (and age) in my calculus of risk? Maybe. But I think that personal traits outweigh demographic trends. A trend does not predict what a particular individual will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorbroni View Post
If so why is this the case?
That's an interesting question.

Is there any reason, demographically speaking, that the general public should assign more risk to contact with our black brethren? Or, for that matter, Baptists or Atheists or old folks or people with red hair?

Old 06-22-2009, 12:54 PM

374 posts, read 1,124,649 times
Quote:
Why is it that Kanye West comes to mind when anyone talks about race? First, he calls our president a racist by saying "he doesn't like black ppl", then when papparazzi takes his picture he smashes their cameras. And these kinda of musicians are what black ppl listen to and admire, so why are you confused when us "white" ppl have these preconceived notions? Its not hard to figure out. IMO black ppl are more racist than whites because ya'll bring it up EVERY time something doesn't go YOUR way, boo hoo join the club.

Professional black male + "still a purse" = CLASSIC!
This is exactly why topics like this one is brought up. You can point out Kanye West (which most of the individual who support Kanye are young white kids, dont believe me, check sound scan), and I can point out the individual who shot and killed the black security guard at the holocaust museum in Washington DC. I know personally this is not all white people, but that incident is a sure example that racism still exists in America. "Its not that hard to figure out."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas