Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 07:50 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,281,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
That's what I'm saying, humidity isn't a factor to me up to a point. Once the weather hits the 100 mark it doesn't matter to me anymore, it's boiling hot and all I know is it's hot. Also, did I mention it's hot?
You are right. When it's this hot, it doesn't matter. I wonder how many who speak of the heat right now have done anything other than go from air conditioned house to A/C car to A/C building? Try doing something physical and see how a dry heat feels. I walk my dogs each evening for only a mile and it does us all in. It's dangerously hot. When I mow my lawn, it literally sickens me, dry heat or not. It's really not all that dry per se.

Even with what some perceive as low humidity, there is still a heat index higher than the actual temperature. The dew point is in the mid 60s and that is not comfortable or safe. Dallas' heat index was 108 earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 09:22 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,558,967 times
Yep...It's hot. We ARE in Texas after all. If you didn't realize that when you moved here, then you didn't do your research very well.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:34 PM

990 posts, read 2,304,209 times
spent a couple of weeks in Houston and thought the humidity was bad, but upon getting back, the heat here hurts. Don't want to be outside at all.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
Yep...It's hot. We ARE in Texas after all. If you didn't realize that when you moved here, then you didn't do your research very well.
You're right, and I shall never, ever forgive myself. I have only myself to blame. I believed the boloney rather than checking on it myself.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:13 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,378,401 times
This little heat spell is nothing so far, wait till August when things really heat up.

The summer of 1992 is scorched into my mind. The DFW area had like 40+ days straight of temps over 97 degrees with little to no rain. I remember when it finally began to cool down in late Sept to the low 90 degrees, we were joking how cool it felt outside. I was more than happy to be back in DC that fall for a new job; until the 'Storm of the Century' dumped 45" of snow there over a one week period and the temps remained in single digits to low 20 degrees for the following two weeks. That year I decided I preferred heat to cold.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
This little heat spell is nothing so far, wait till August when things really heat up.

The summer of 1992 is scorched into my mind. The DFW area had like 40+ days straight of temps over 97 degrees with little to no rain. I remember when it finally began to cool down in late Sept to the low 90 degrees, we were joking how cool it felt outside. I was more than happy to be back in DC that fall for a new job; until the 'Storm of the Century' dumped 45" of snow there over a one week period and the temps remained in single digits to low 20 degrees for the following two weeks. That year I decided I preferred heat to cold.
1980 was worse. I can't remember for sure, but I think it was 60 plus straight days of triple digits. I thought I was in Hades.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:36 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,184,459 times
OK where you all are at I cant complain but wondering if I am only one? Over the 4th I was in Eastern WA which as 103 drive home 96 to 105... had on shorts and AC on feet.... got out of the truck and skin stuck to seat!!!! That was a new one!!! In Hawaii bought cloth - don't much wear shorts on leather thinking now I need to put cloth on leather if do that again!!! Sorry today made it to 64 degrees.....

Old 07-14-2009, 06:05 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,466,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
You are right. When it's this hot, it doesn't matter. I wonder how many who speak of the heat right now have done anything other than go from air conditioned house to A/C car to A/C building?
I normally work in my office but about 3-4 times a week I am on a roof. I am an estimator for a commercial roofing company. You should see how hot it gets up on those roofs. I try to make my appointments early in the day though.

And on the weekends and sometimes in the evenings I do side jobs. Last week I had to just stop what I was doing because it got so hot. I told the guy Id be back to finish the next day because I just couldnt take it anymore.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:11 AM

3,463 posts, read 7,308,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
I normally work in my office but about 3-4 times a week I am on a roof. I am an estimator for a commercial roofing company. You should see how hot it gets up on those roofs. I try to make my appointments early in the day though.

And on the weekends and sometimes in the evenings I do side jobs. Last week I had to just stop what I was doing because it got so hot. I told the guy Id be back to finish the next day because I just couldnt take it anymore.
How do you explain the people that go about their business as usual in the 100+ heat? I'm sure you see it too...

I see people driving with their convertible tops down, or with their windows down. I see literally hundreds of children practicing and playing sports. I see the children's parents coaching and watching. I see bikers riding their bikes long distances. I see joggers enjoying themselves.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:26 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,466,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
How do you explain the people that go about their business as usual in the 100+ heat? I'm sure you see it too...

I see people driving with their convertible tops down, or with their windows down. I see literally hundreds of children practicing and playing sports. I see the children's parents coaching and watching. I see bikers riding their bikes long distances. I see joggers enjoying themselves.
honestly I dont know how they do it. I wont go outside for longer than 20 minutes unless Im working or Im at a body of water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas