Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2009, 08:42 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
After about 3 hours of gray skies and rain I'm ready for blue skies and sunshine again. Anything more...and I'm ready to scream!
Really? I find cloudy days quite cozy especially at this time of year. We don't get enough of them to really complain so what we do get, I'm very grateful. Of course though if you get chilly in 103 degree weather, I guess you'll freeze should this so called "cold" front come through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 09:21 AM

3,463 posts, read 7,306,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Really? I find cloudy days quite cozy especially at this time of year. We don't get enough of them to really complain so what we do get, I'm very grateful. Of course though if you get chilly in 103 degree weather, I guess you'll freeze should this so called "cold" front come through.
Yes, really! I do not like cloudy skies with no sunshine. I do not like rain lasting more than a few hours. To me - that's dreary. If I liked that kind of weather on a regular basis I'd live somewhere other than the sunbelt.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:35 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,014,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post

Old people get cold easy. Why do you think florida is a fossil farm? They need the heat, the heart just in not pumping enough to keep them warm.

I like gray days too, I also miss fall when you can come home when it chilly out and light the fire and get cozy or christmas when it's snowy. Don't have days like that here.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:44 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
I think the ground here moves to much for basements. We have foundation issues on a lot of the homes after they are built.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
Technically, this is incorrect. The cost of building a basement, due to ground conditions (calcium carbonate and shifting soil) make it more expensive than just building a 2nd level, so that's what builders generally do.

There are a small number of homes with basements. I read an article a while back talking about homes in Highland Park that were built with garages below grade so they can get more livable space on the first floor (and in fact, the article was talking about a car sized "lazy-susan" so the driver doesn't have to back out... haha).
The soil and the frostline play the largest role in why there are no basements here. I have a house that sits on white rock. Even to dig the trenches for the new garage for the foundation was a royal PITA! Then the plumber was about beside himself digging the trenches for the plumbing lines to the street. All of that hard rock and a basement........ YIKES! My house would be well over $1M to pay for that if we had a basement. It is bad enough with the pool. Oh, and there are areas around Dallas that have underground water. I know of several and you really don't want a house w/ a basement in THOSE areas.

FYI, most houses do NOT have foundation issues or problems. Now, there are some areas that are more prone and sometimes it is the builder/developer that are at fault moreso than the actual ground/dirt that was there BEFORE they disturbed it.

Quote:
After about 3 hours of gray skies and rain I'm ready for blue skies and sunshine again. Anything more...and I'm ready to scream!
Quote:
Yes, really! I do not like cloudy skies with no sunshine. I do not like rain lasting more than a few hours. To me - that's dreary. If I liked that kind of weather on a regular basis I'd live somewhere other than the sunbelt.

SAME HERE!!! I've ALWAYS been that way for my entire life so it's not just "old people" . A day of cloudy dreary weather is enough for me. I LOVE the sunshine. Even when skiing I like the sunny days when I can ski w/o a jacket and gloves. Give me the sunshine any and every day

Old 07-16-2009, 09:47 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,014,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

SAME HERE!!! I've ALWAYS been that way for my entire life so it's not just "old people" . A day of cloudy dreary weather is enough for me. I LOVE the sunshine. Even when skiing I like the sunny days when I can ski w/o a jacket and gloves. Give me the sunshine any and every day

Kootr couldnt handle the cold, he would freeze to death since it would below 103.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Kootr couldnt handle the cold, he would freeze to death since it would below 103.
No cupcake, I've camped and hunted in -20 degrees numerous times for days on end while on hunting trips. I've even spent some time on a mountain top at 5,000 feet with minus degree temperatures and 70mph winds. I didn't die, but I was glad to get back in a warmer part of the country.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:19 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDizzl View Post
It looks like a "cold front" will be moving through this weekend. Highs should be in the low 90s with scattered rain showers.... Your local on the 8s
I am not kidding w/ y'all. I just saw a chick that must be new to Dallas and does not know what a "cold front" in July means here. I swear I had to be staring at her as I could not believe it but this is her ensemble:
Shorts
knee high SUEDE BOOTS w/ FLEECE in them
Long sleeve sweatsuit jacket fleece LINED w/ a fleece HOOD!

It made me start sweating just seeing what she had on.
Granted she was kind of young (mid 20's) with a playboy bunny sticker on the back of her car.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Old people get cold easy. Why do you think florida is a fossil farm? They need the heat, the heart just in not pumping enough to keep them warm.

I like gray days too, I also miss fall when you can come home when it chilly out and light the fire and get cozy or christmas when it's snowy. Don't have days like that here.
I don't know what you consider "old", but I'm fairly certain I'm a lot older than you and I can guarantee that's not true with this "old" person. I do not turn on my heater unless it's 20 degrees outside. I prefer being chilly as opposed to burning up. A lot of old people take care of themselves and therefore, they have fine pumping hearts, a lot better than many younger people who are couch potatoes or worse. No, that doesn't apply to you, I know that.

As far as why Kootr is chilly in 103 degree weather, I don't know. If he or she is "old," that's must be it. Actually, I know lots of young people and older alike who are about to buy the farm with this dang hot spell.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I am not kidding w/ y'all. I just saw a chick that must be new to Dallas and does not know what a "cold front" in July means here. I swear I had to be staring at her as I could not believe it but this is her ensemble:
Shorts
knee high SUEDE BOOTS w/ FLEECE in them
Long sleeve sweatsuit jacket fleece LINED w/ a fleece HOOD!

It made me start sweating just seeing what she had on.
Granted she was kind of young (mid 20's) with a playboy bunny sticker on the back of her car.
I'm in hysterics right now. Wow, and only in her 20s? She isn't old and acts like she's freezing to death. I guess she is one of those who has no brains but is certainly concerned about her attire whether it fits the weather or not. She must "dress to kill." Too funny!! I wish I had been there!! Maybe she is just one of those generally cold-natured people, but c'mon, we're being warned about the risks of this heat. I just don't get how anyone can be cold in 103 degree weather, but people don't understand either why I don't turn on my heater in the winter unless it's in the 20s outside.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:40 PM

I believe some of you may be taking my comment about being cold (last sentence below) just a tad bit too serious!

---------------

Yes, it was comfortable today. The humidity was even lower than it has been recently.

I would much rather have a day like today with low humidity than a day at 82 degrees with soaking humidity. I never broke a sweat today and I saw 103 degrees. I love it!

A few times today when the wind was gusty I got a little chilled and even got goosebumps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas