Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 11:49 AM

192 posts, read 595,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Good point.

Yes, a poster is free to write anything down and push it into people's faces. Which is tantamount to saying a poster has tthe ability to lie, to factually misrepresent an objective situation.

The poster in question has some physiological/personal problems with adjustment to warm/hot weather. I don't have any such physical problems, and neither do the vast majority of the population. Essentially, the poster is fabricating a story, making an unwarranted generalization about North Texas, in order to justify or rationalize a personal infirmity.
Justify or rationalize a personal infirmity? Whatever. It's not something you justify or rationalize. It just IS. Whether I like it or not. What a completely asinine thing to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 12:16 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,070,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha Ching View Post
Exactly. Thank you. You hit the nail on the head.

I stand by my original statement. I used to think Texas had four seasons too. Until I lived somewhere else, and discovered that was inaccurate.
What exactly is your definition of spring?

According to the data, Dallas has a longer stretch of springlike weather than Wisconsin.

When I look at the annual temperature graphs for Dallas versus Wisconsin, I find the Wisconsin weather to be much more extreme, temperature wise. For a given range of temperatures, say 60 to 70 degrees, Dallas stays within that range longer than Wisconsin.

Dallas will fluctuate within a range of 55 to 96 degrees, on average. That's 41 degrees max temperature, winter to summerr.

Madison Wisconsin goes from 27 to 84 degrees. That's a 57 degree spread in max average temperature, winter to summer.

Therefore, the amount of time during the year for a particular temperature interval is much shorter in Wisconsin than in Dallas... i.e., spring lasts longer in Dallas.

For Madison, Wisconsin, the April average high is 58 degrees. The average high for May is 70 degrees. That's a 12 degree spread in 1 month.

For Dallas, the average high for February is 61 degrees. The average high for March is 69 degrees. That is an 8 degree spread over 1 month. That would be a 12 degree spread over 1 1/2 months.

So we see by the official figures that a particular range of pleasant temperatures lasts 50% longer in Dallas than in Wisconsin. If you define "spring" as that particular temp difference, spring lasts 50% longer in Dallas.

Average Weather for Madison, WI - Temperature and Precipitation

Average Weather for Dallas, TX - Temperature and Precipitation

Last edited by aceplace; 08-23-2009 at 12:33 PM..

Old 08-23-2009, 12:37 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,902 times
Wow! Nice analysis!

Old 08-23-2009, 01:14 PM

277 posts, read 577,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
What do you think when Northerners say that many people still wear shorts in Texas in November? It can be as hot as the 80s well into the month.
As hot as? You mean slightly above what you set your home thermostat at? Boo hoo.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:25 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,428,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gribbler View Post
As hot as? You mean slightly above what you set your home thermostat at? Boo hoo.

What do you set your thermostat at?

Because mine is nowhere near 80.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:30 PM

The fact of the matter is that weather and seasons are subjective.

I find Texas' weather atrocious, and consider anyone who enjoys it clinically insane.

I enjoy a warm summer (80's and low 90's), a cold winter (below 25 or 30), a crisp autumn (50's) and a refreshing spring (60's and 70's). And I enjoy having them each for about 3 or 4 months.

Dallas certainly doesn't have some of the extreme temperature swings, but the trade-off is missing the clear-cut and distinctive seasons that some of the northern states enjoy.

And Dallas does not enjoy 4 real seasons. Not like New England or others places do.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:38 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
What do you set your thermostat at?

Because mine is nowhere near 80.
Summer
78-79 during day (80-81 if nobody is home)
76-77 at night

"Winter"
73-74

During the other 2 seasons that don't exist in Dallas I would theoretically not have the HVAC system running at all. I would theoretically use windows and ceiling fans if Spring and Fall existed, but they don't so I guess I don't actually do that.

Quote:
I find Texas' weather atrocious, and consider anyone who enjoys it clinically insane.
Thankfully I look pretty good in a straitjacket

Last edited by tyanger; 08-23-2009 at 06:51 PM..

Old 08-23-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
Summer
78-79 during day (80-81 if nobody is home)
76-77 at night

How the hell do you live like that?

Mine never even approaches 73.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:34 PM

192 posts, read 595,158 times
Quote:
The fact of the matter is that weather and seasons are subjective.

I enjoy a warm summer (80's and low 90's), a cold winter (below 25 or 30), a crisp autumn (50's) and a refreshing spring (60's and 70's). And I enjoy having them each for about 3 or 4 months.

Dallas certainly doesn't have some of the extreme temperature swings, but the trade-off is missing the clear-cut and distinctive seasons that some of the northern states enjoy.

And Dallas does not enjoy 4 real seasons. Not like New England or others places do.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:47 PM

277 posts, read 577,531 times
Quote:

And I find anyone who wants to spend the winter where the daytime temperature never gets above freezing and there's snow on the ground 5 months out of the year insane.

Quote:

Nonsense. The average temp in Boston is 48 in April. That's not spring, that's a winter that won't go away. And I can't tell you how many people I've met from New England that say the seasons are summer, fall, winter and mud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas