Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 08:07 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,225,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
Ummmm, but that's all most people have to go by, so for most, TAKS are the measuring stick. You can also assume in most cases that if the schools are in upscale areas, they are normally pretty good. It works that way in most of the US as well.

I agree with sonshinelife about upscale areas. I don't assume that they necessarily pretty good.

Yes, I realize TAKS is the measuring stick but am pleased as can be that Texas is doing away with it next year, at least at the exit level. I hope they do away with all of it so we can get back to the basics in teaching our students. Teachers are so pressured by TAKS, they can't teach the curriculum in the way it should be taught. It's pathetic.

I work at for a school district with 75% of the students on the free or reduced lunch program. We are a recognized campus, not quite exemplary. This is why I say that the TAKS is hooey as so many of these kids are not so smart, to say the least.

If anyone realizes what is done to prepare for the TAKS, I think they would agree with me. When these kids don't even know nouns from prepositions, don't know their multiplication tables, don't know a state from a country, etc., and yet, we're recognized in TAKS, it makes one wonder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 08:18 PM

709 posts, read 3,474,146 times
I agree that TAKS isn't a true measure of smarts. That is why our district strives for more than just TAKS smarts. We strive for higher level thinking smarts. Reality as you mention is we still have to face TAKS. Yes, it stinks but at the same time we need some sort of measure to keep things on the same page across the state. I'm just not sure what that tool would be. Unfortunately, I think we have school districts in the state that don't maintain high standards even for the hard to reach chidlren. There is no reason for this in my opinion. I'm a believer that we can reach all children, it is just a matter of how we approach things. :-)

Old 04-28-2007, 08:24 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,682,213 times
I agree with sonshinelife!! I live in an older neighborhood so I'm sure it's not considered "upscale" (that word makes me ill)...however my daughters grade school also had kids from other districts lined up to get in. (rated exemplary)There was such a waiting list that if I didn't get her reg. in on time every year she might lose her spot!!

Also ..my experience with the taks test. My daughter scored a "commended" performance every year (perfect score)and she said the test was easier than what they had been making them do in class. They seem to teach to the test all year basically.

oops ..sorry...I'm not in the greater Dallas area...guess I'm off topic.

Last edited by shannon94; 04-28-2007 at 09:01 PM..

Old 04-28-2007, 08:29 PM

What do you teachers think of the Core Knowledge program??

Old 04-28-2007, 08:34 PM

Sorry, but I'm not quite sure about what Core Knowledge program is? I'd be interested in knowing though. I might do a search to find out. It never hurts to learn something new. :-)

Old 04-28-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonshinelife View Post
Sorry, but I'm not quite sure about what Core Knowledge program is? I'd be interested in knowing though. I might do a search to find out. It never hurts to learn something new. :-)
My daughter went to a Core Knowledge elementary school and now goes to a Core Knowledge junior high........I was very pleased with my daughters grades and the "knowledge" she would come home with. In the third grade she knew the world map better than I did!! lol I was asking because I just assumed all teachers would know about it...but not neccesarily have it in their schools. You really should check it out. It's quite a regimen...but I feel that my daughter is better prepared because of the program.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:41 PM

thanks for the info. I will most definitely check it out.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:33 PM

92 posts, read 761,665 times
Give her a TAKS release test to see if she would do well in public school. You can get copies on the Texas Education Agency website. They have answer keys too.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:59 AM

1,067 posts, read 5,655,534 times
I guess I must be super dumb because I have a copy of practice TAKS book right in front of me for 5th grade. They have relativity in it which is something I learned when I went to college. Some of it is very hard, even for me. My daughter has always passed too but I still think it is hard and there is too much pressure on the students and teachers. Now they are going to allow bonus's to the teachers whose children perform well. I hate that because when my daughter took FCAT in Florida, we watched a wonderful 2nd grade teacher whom she looped up with become a terrible, nervous, screaming, nail biting teacher. After it was over and she got her bonus, she returned to the person she was prior.

From my experience with Taks and FCAT, the teaching truly begins after these test are given. There needs to be accountability for each district but not in the form of Taks here. JMO

Old 04-30-2007, 08:55 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,270,398 times
The answer is Highland Park.

There are good schools in every district though. DISD has the number one high school in the United States, according to Newsweek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas