Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 02:48 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times

Advertisements

Have you seen the "shenanigans" that go on at The Church:The Lizard Lounge: Sunday Nights? Look at their 2010 Fetish Ball photos: Welcome To The Church Dallas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
I'm trying to figure out why male stripper shenanigans at La Bare are considered "out there". Seems rather typical. Now...if you pointed to Jim Rose Circus or something, then maybe we could talk "out there".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 03:13 PM

185 posts, read 349,927 times
Texans tend to be accepting of most non-aggressive people, regardless if we're talking about Dallas or elsewhere.
I don't think that someone who goes to a Christian church is somehow can't be socially liberal. Mostly because not all churches are the same, and most church-attending Texans probably don't care that much what's going on in someone else's life ("That's for God to take care of" or something along those lines).

Also, most of the statements about the really liberal parts of Dallas are in the dense, inner city neighborhoods. The suburbs really take on the "McMansion" attitude and many of the richer areas are probably pretty red. Conservatives in Dallas seem to lean towards the rich and educated type, who might have some sort of business interests or involvement.
But in general, liberals in Dallas tend to be more of followers than leaders. Dallas's liberals don't have their own brand of liberalism; most of them follow other brands, particularly San Francisco style liberalism.
Yeah, there probably are more "Artsy-Liberal" types in Dallas than there are in Austin, but I have no idea, because I haven't stayed in Dallas in a long time.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:16 PM

BTW The Church is a bohemian night club in Dallas: it's not a Christian organization by any means.

But speaking of churches most Texas churches are the same: they believe the bible scripture literally: they don't want to admit to being fundamentalists but they are. The bible scripture is extremely conservative: the total antithesis to liberalism is Christianity.

There seems to be a huge liberal fetish scene in Deep Ellum: it certainly tops whatever non-sexual and asexual BS that is in Austin, Texas. The sheltered people in Austin, Texas are so drunk and stoned I wonder how they can even get aroused!! Austin is true to its alcoholism and pot and posing and suppression of sexuality, romance, fetishism, and individuality. It's not cool to have any type of romance in Austin. I was there for an entire year and it was like pulling teeth to get anyone to pay attention to me: although, I'm sort of glad none of the drunk and stoned posers gave me too much attention anyway. I'm an extremely attractive male and the most attention I got was quick double takes: very sad that nobody had the courage to ask me out or befriend me. Dallas was a whole other story.

Dallas is extremely liberal when it comes to the arts, sex, and fetishism: something you will never see on a grand scale in Austin, Texas since it's such an oppressed and third-world city: if anyone does anything outrageous it's for something as contrived, pretentious, and trite as Eeyore's Birthday (i.e., look at us we are stoned idiots playing in a drum circle ... naked....afterward we will watch the Longhorns game and attend class at UT Austin.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalistPotato View Post
Texans tend to be accepting of most non-aggressive people, regardless if we're talking about Dallas or elsewhere.
I don't think that someone who goes to a Christian church is somehow can't be socially liberal. Mostly because not all churches are the same, and most church-attending Texans probably don't care that much what's going on in someone else's life ("That's for God to take care of" or something along those lines).

Also, most of the statements about the really liberal parts of Dallas are in the dense, inner city neighborhoods. The suburbs really take on the "McMansion" attitude and many of the richer areas are probably pretty red. Conservatives in Dallas seem to lean towards the rich and educated type, who might have some sort of business interests or involvement.
But in general, liberals in Dallas tend to be more of followers than leaders. Dallas's liberals don't have their own brand of liberalism; most of them follow other brands, particularly San Francisco style liberalism.
Yeah, there probably are more "Artsy-Liberal" types in Dallas than there are in Austin, but I have no idea, because I haven't stayed in Dallas in a long time.

Last edited by artsyguy; 02-21-2011 at 03:37 PM..

Old 02-21-2011, 03:32 PM

Catch the annual Zombie Prom in Dallas, Texas!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plbn1UzdrtM

Old 02-21-2011, 03:39 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,548 times
I think you go too far when you say that Christian churches are all the same. Jesus was a liberal Jew. Many Christians are liberal today as well, even if their church leadership is not. Christians are not a not a monolith.

Ironically, my most conservative friend is gay. I'm a Christian and more liberal than him by leaps and bounds! I know a lot of other Christians who are very liberal as well.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:47 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
But speaking of churches most Texas churches are the same: they believe the bible scripture literally: they don't want to admit to being fundamentalists but they are. The bible scripture is extremely conservative: the total antithesis to liberalism is Christianity.
For someone who preaches open-mindedness, you are being extremely closed minded. You seeem to be accepting of people that live alternative lifestyles (and thats good), but to those who practice Christianity you seem to label them all the same (conservative, bible thumpers). In no way are all chruches the same. Some are conservative, some arent. You would be amazed at the many different view points you can get from people in the same chruch. For example, not all Christians take the bible word for word in its most literal sense. In fact, a lot dont (myself included).

Many, many Christians are open minded. Many are closed minded. Its a mixed bag. Here is the church I go to from time to time. Its the antithesis of what you are talking about:

Royal Lane Baptist Church » About Us

Old 02-21-2011, 04:43 PM

Your friend is not gay then. Having sex with men is not conservative in any sense.

So tell me: how exactly is your gay friend the most conservative person you know? Please tell me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
I think you go too far when you say that Christian churches are all the same. Jesus was a liberal Jew. Many Christians are liberal today as well, even if their church leadership is not. Christians are not a not a monolith.

Ironically, my most conservative friend is gay. I'm a Christian and more liberal than him by leaps and bounds! I know a lot of other Christians who are very liberal as well.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:46 PM

Do you think I would ever set foot into a church that has a mission statement that the scripture is to be taken as the literal word of God? Unfortunately, I have made that mistake only because they claimed to be so diverse and modern: only to find out that everyone thinks exactly the same (old fashioned/antiquated/backwater) at every single church: that has caused me to be very leery of churches and Christians. And any Baptist Church that claims to being progressive is lying: it's basically a trap to further "change" and "purify" those who are not holy enough. There is a huge but covert Christian movement in the US that are identifying liberals and progressives to target for harassment, subjugation, and transformation: these "all inclusive" churches are exactly that: traps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
For someone who preaches open-mindedness, you are being extremely closed minded. You seeem to be accepting of people that live alternative lifestyles (and thats good), but to those who practice Christianity you seem to label them all the same (conservative, bible thumpers). In no way are all chruches the same. Some are conservative, some arent. You would be amazed at the many different view points you can get from people in the same chruch. For example, not all Christians take the bible word for word in its most literal sense. In fact, a lot dont (myself included).

Many, many Christians are open minded. Many are closed minded. Its a mixed bag. Here is the church I go to from time to time. Its the antithesis of what you are talking about:

Royal Lane Baptist Church » About Us

Old 02-21-2011, 04:49 PM

419 posts, read 997,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Your friend is not gay then. Having sex with men is not conservative in any sense.
That's why it is weird! He loves dudes and Sarah Palin... but not in the same way. He is very active in the Tea Party, gives money to right wing causes and constantly goes on about the evils of our "communist" president, labor unions, abortion, etc.

I don't think he actively tells a lot of people that he is gay. But it is pretty darn obvious -- he is married to a man and his mannerisms and speech are what most people would call "flaming."

The more people I get to know, the more I realize the myth of the monolith. You just can't claim that a legion of people are like minded on everything. This world is a strange place.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:54 PM

Monolithic behaviors are hardly a myth in institutions: you will always have a ruling clique of old buzzards who will do anything to keep things antiquated: then you may have some iconoclasts here or there who are slowly but surely mobbed out: but in general the masses will go along to get along.

Your friend sounds like a very good liar and a hypocrite to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOAPRESIDENT View Post
That's why it is weird. He loves dudes and Sarah Palin... but not in the same way.

The more people I get to know, the more I realize the myth of the monolith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas