Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 04:04 AM

13 posts, read 45,767 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions on Catholic Churches near downtown Dallas that are more liberal in their views. We belong to a very open minded Catholic church where we live and would love to find the same in Dallas near downtown or north oak cliff area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 09:09 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,555,635 times
Hmmm...you might find parishes made up of parishioners with more liberal views, and near downtown is probably the best place to look.

I'm just guessing here, but when you say "liberal" do you mean a parish that openly supports more "liberal" social issues like same-sex marriage, contraception, abortion, etc.? If so, probably not. I'm no expert, but I gather that the Diocese of Dallas is on the more conservative end of things compared with other cities and sticks closely to the teachings of the Catholic Church. Texas is more conservative in general, regardless of religious views.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:28 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,816,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
like same-sex marriage, contraception, abortion, etc.? If so, probably not. I'm no expert, but I gather that the Diocese of Dallas is on the more conservative end of things compared with other cities and sticks closely to the teachings of the Catholic Church. Texas is more conservative in general, regardless of religious views.
OP- The diocese in general is conservative on ALL these issues, regardless of location. I would look more to what the make up of a given town and it's residents are like. It can vary ever so slightly from place to place in terms of what is tolerated and not. I can tell you though I have witnessed the most "progressive" of Catholic churches run a Gay priest out of the parish. But I think a possible barometer might be if people are conservative the people in that church will probably have similar views, and vice versa. For the most part Catholic Church and Conservative go hand in hand like mSooner stated.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:45 AM

764 posts, read 1,656,418 times
Maybe you should try the Episcopal church at St. Marks? "Catholic Lite on Social Issues???"

Old 04-26-2012, 11:05 AM

13 posts, read 45,767 times
Thank you for the responses. And yes, social issues is what I was wondering about.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:05 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,169,901 times
Holy Trinity is in a somewhat liberal area (Oak Lawn) but I don't know the general disposition of the congregation.

Welcome :: Holy Trinity Catholic Church (Dallas, TX)

Old 04-26-2012, 12:43 PM

718 posts, read 1,389,006 times
If you are willing once in a while to go north , St Elisabeth Ann Seton in Plano is a wonderful non conservative church ( in the style of the service and in the fact that a lot of people are conversed , the teaching is the one of the Catholic church like any other Catholic church in the world) . It's also one of the most diversified and international church in the area.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:08 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,555,635 times
Quote:
If you are willing once in a while to go north , St Elisabeth Ann Seton in Plano is a wonderful non conservative church ( in the style of the service and in the fact that a lot of people are conversed , the teaching is the one of the Catholic church like any other Catholic church in the world) . It's also one of the most diversified and international church in the area.
Hmm...I haven't been lately, but I never would have pictured St. Elizabeth Ann Seton as "non-conservative." Definitely doesn't fit the Plano vibe!

Now if you are looking for a more modern style mass (as in contemporary music, younger people), you will find one at many of the area churches. Try the 5pm Sunday Mass at Holy Trinity and the 4:30 PM Sunday Mass at St. Anns in Coppell. I'm sure there are more, too.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:49 PM

718 posts, read 1,389,006 times
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Hmm...I haven't been lately, but I never would have pictured St. Elizabeth Ann Seton as "non-conservative." Definitely doesn't fit the Plano vibe!
too.
St Elisabeth has evolved with the population it serves and has change the style of some services .I like that this is a no show church.
My favorite is the 6pm youth mass ,it's totally informal, they have a band playing more contemporary pieces and all the lectures and the help during service are done by teenagers mostly wearing shorts and flip flop

Old 04-26-2012, 08:14 PM

84 posts, read 242,539 times
Another St. Elizabeth Ann Seton parishioner here! St. Elizabeth is a great, diverse community. There are so many whites, Hispanics, Africans, Asians, Indians, etc. during large Masses that I feel truly represents the diversity of Plano in general. I don't think it's a liberal Church, but rather a moderate Church. To me, that's much better than having a liberal or conservative Church that will be bound to upset some people. Most sermons I've heard in the 9 years that my family has been attending St. Elizabeth relate the teaching of the Catholic Church to everyday life in Texas, rather than saying "the Church says this, so do this.

Having said that, I understand that it would be a drive from some parts of Dallas. FWIW, Catholic Churches throughout Dallas and its suburbs tend to be more moderate in nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: