Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 09:00 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times

Advertisements

I know someone who has done the same type of teaching work/job except in Korea--her employers seem to have gone out of their way to make her feel wanted and appreciated...hope that holds true...HER uncle is retired USArmy colonel who has many friends in that area--he married Korean woman years ago and was stationed there for final tour of duty...so this young woman has some people to contact outsider her work circle if thing go awry
would not want any one I knew taking job overseas in country with severe language mismatch without some outside personal network in force
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 11:30 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I know someone who has done the same type of teaching work/job except in Korea--her employers seem to have gone out of their way to make her feel wanted and appreciated...hope that holds true...HER uncle is retired USArmy colonel who has many friends in that area--he married Korean woman years ago and was stationed there for final tour of duty...so this young woman has some people to contact outsider her work circle if thing go awry
would not want any one I knew taking job overseas in country with severe language mismatch without some outside personal network in force
My guess is that things are different in Korea, as that country is much more transparent and business-friendly. They understand the value of having a well-educated population that is fluent in English. Russia only has a very nascent understanding in this regard. There are lots of people who genuinely want to learn English, know they need to, and there are some very well-regarded schools there. However, the pervasiveness of corruption coupled with a "pocket the cash today and screw the rest" mentality make it extremely easy for exploitation like this to happen.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:23 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,482,354 times
My brother in law couldn't get out of Russia last year without the equivilant of a $100usd bribe.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,471 times
to be wise. travell there. then go to us embassy. then have them check if she reported anything. then get pi or kgb .. but id stay with us embassy, and get help finding her then find out if she is real and then you can help.. dont just waste money..

Old 05-06-2010, 10:24 PM

611 posts, read 2,234,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
You should contact a local police department and I am pretty sure they will contact the proper agencies.
you missed the part where it is in RUSSIA....the LOCAL police....seriously
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: