Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,753 times

Advertisements

To me some of reasons to send kids to a private school;
1- Build/groom leadership and moral values.
2- Low teacher to student ratio
3- Highly qualified teachers
4- Discipline

DIS has a lot of good qulaities, though at the same time alot of improvements can be made.
Teachers should have a minimum of Bachelor's degree (without going into details it's not the case for all the teachers).
The teacher to student ratio has gone to 1:16-1:17 specially in the lower grades i believe it should be lower.
The school leader ship does not seem to have any core philiosphy regarding discipline or how to build/groom leadership qulaities, in my opinion this is the foundation of any good school.
I agree that there are some kids who are out of control though if the parents are unable to control the teachers should and if they can't the school leader ship should intervene (some of the parents might think that since they are paying quite a bit there kid/kids can do whatever they want, when there is a 3 strike out policy or something similar and is made clear to all the parents, the parents will put more effort)
I am not sure if the French government has some kind of restrictions but the school needs to hire more American teachers (ofcourse qualified ones), this in my opinion will bring more diversity.( i think the school is too saturated with non-American teachers).
Personally i think that the school got good publicity (and rightly so) and are having a lot of growth as a result but they do not have a plan in place to handle it and to me it's feeling more like a school some where in between a Public and real private school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,870 times
so what exactly are the demographics for this school(ethnicity, socio-economic) and is it true that after the sixth grade they only have 3-4 hours of english instruction a week. do students fall behind in English Language Arts? Thankyou very much.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,753 times
Default Dis

I believe they are around 50% American and 50% international, it's a pretty diverse school. The school has branches in other cities too like Austin and Oklahoma. I do want to mention that French curriculum is not very strong in reading at early stages(kindergarden), unless parents teach the kids to read they won't know how to read until atleast grade 1.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,356 times
hi, i m moving from INDIA to Dallas. pls help to find some good international schools in Dallas where education is english-medium. every input is valuable to me.....

Old 05-17-2011, 12:03 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
I would also include some of the nice older ranch style homes around Midway and Royal in your search along with the Northwood Hills and Lake Highlands neighborhoods. There are pockets of affordable homes not far from the school, you need a good realtor. A neighbor of mine housed a French girl for a year who went to the International School, they were all impressed with the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas