Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 05:01 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,972,572 times

Advertisements

What employees are in demand there in Dallas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 05:56 PM

212 posts, read 1,154,575 times
I know from personal experience that accounting is pretty hot right now. There is especially high demand for people with 2-5 years experience in public accounting.
I think most firms try to do their hiring in Nov-Dec and then again in the summer because this time of year there's usually not the time to interview,train, etc.

DH is a computer programmer and was job searching last summer. His phone ran off the hook starting at 7am the morning after he posted in resume on Monster.com, and didn't end for about 3 weeks (mostly headhunter services). He went on 1 or 2 interviews, and got a job offer in less than a week, but ended up staying at his current employer because they gave him an even better counter-offer. I think he does .Net programming, but I'm sure other areas are in demand too.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:06 PM

66 posts, read 242,987 times
Telecom is always hot. With companies like Nortel, Nice, Cisco, Avaya, etc...they have a lot of turnover and occasional layoffs, but who doesn't. Raytheon is also a huge employer here with tons of different positions and several locations.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:35 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,719,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stouchstone View Post
Telecom is always hot. With companies like Nortel, Nice, Cisco, Avaya, etc...they have a lot of turnover and occasional layoffs, but who doesn't. Raytheon is also a huge employer here with tons of different positions and several locations.
Cisco's turnover is low, 4%.

We just had a job fair in Richardson late last week... it's probably not too late to submit resumes.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:43 PM

11,863 posts, read 26,907,147 times
Healthcare is always a hot field! Nurses are in high demand and short supply here, and so are allied health professionals, like physical and speech therapists, etc.

Good human resources professionals are also hard to find...

Old 02-05-2008, 08:23 PM

150 posts, read 858,272 times
I second the healthcare field. Sign on bonuses abound for specialty nurses, a few places even offer relocation assistance. I see a lot of retail sales, admin assistants, executive secretarial positions as well as office manager positions posted online and in the papers.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:43 PM

200 posts, read 633,258 times
I'm in the IT field I'm hoping when I come down I can find something. I'm still pretty early in my career field I'm right at the 3 year mark. But I do have a degree and a few IT certifications. Do you guys think I would be able to find something pretty fast if I made the move to Dallas?

Old 02-05-2008, 10:49 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,810,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsmoore View Post
I'm in the IT field, I'm hoping when I come down I can find something. I'm still pretty early in my career field I'm right at the 3 year mark. But I do have a degree and a few IT certifications. Do you guys think I would be able to find something pretty fast if I made the move to Dallas?
Dallas can be a feast or famine when it comes to IT employment, especially when it's narrowed down to a specific skill-set required. Personally, I would NEVER move to a new area without a job. That said, if you're really interested, post your resume on all the job sites, i.e., Monster.com, Jobs.com, Careerbuilder.com & Dice.com. Use Indeed.com to see what jobs are listed in the area and start applying.

Good luck!

Old 02-06-2008, 07:50 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,600,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsmoore View Post
I'm in the IT field I'm hoping when I come down I can find something. I'm still pretty early in my career field I'm right at the 3 year mark. But I do have a degree and a few IT certifications. Do you guys think I would be able to find something pretty fast if I made the move to Dallas?
If you have friends/family in the area - forward your resume out using their address as yours (many companies don't want to hire and relocate). Then, align your interviews into a single week and come stay with said family/friend. At the very least, you'll be able to dip your toe into the market without moving here to see if the market is acceptable. What niche in IT are you in?

Old 02-06-2008, 08:47 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,903,831 times
FYI, the HIGHEST demand for workers in the DFW area is not the jobs behind a desk. The "blue collar" worker is in VERY HIGH demand. Pay is often times more than a "paper pusher". It is so bad right now that the Dallas County Community College District is building a new campus that will be solely for vocational training. A HUGE majority of the businesses we deal w/ employ "blue collar" workers and they are in DESPERATE need of people. Because the Dallas area is so versatile and has so many manufacturing companies located here we have always done well whenever the country is in a financial hardship (I don't want to say the "R" word but it was mentioned yesterday).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas