Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 07:55 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,533,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by $DFW8$ View Post
I think 1.5 hours might be a little bit of an exaggeration.

Ok, fine 45-60 mins on a great day and 1 1/2 hours and an average day.
With a home budget of $800.00 max commuting & sitting in traffic is not worth it. Look into downtown for now.

In my experiance getting from Medical District area on the 35 crossing the 635 heading North it takes 30-45 mins in rush hour NORMAL traffic at 5pm. From 635 to the GB Turnpike another 20-30 mins. From there getting pass and through the interchange (grr) maybe 10-20 mins......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 12:14 PM

5 posts, read 17,178 times
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and feedbck! I looked at The Village online and it looks nice! It seems to have the amenities that we need and with the fitness center on site would save us the cost of a gym membership. We'll be out visiting and looking around in March so I will take a look at all the areas that have been suggested.

I'm used to living in the suburbs though and so I have easy quick access to a mall, restaurants and pretty much any store I could need all within a 10 min drive. Would the area by The Village be like that? If I needed to run to the store quickly for some groceries is that doable?

I know living "in" the city of Chicago requires more advanced planning to get to a grocery store because of traffic so I was just curious.

Thanks!

Old 01-22-2010, 12:16 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
From the Village you could walk to Tom Thumb or Central Market - big full service grocery stores. Northpark Mall is very close to the Village. Most of the city of Dallas is like the suburbs.

Eta - you could walk, but really most people drive everywhere. There's plenty of parking.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:46 PM

29 posts, read 98,983 times
I live in the area and I don't think you'll be able to get where you want to go in 30 mins. The commute you're asking about is approximately 20 miles and as far as back roads, yes maybe, but then you will be constricted by speed limit, lights, school zones.

When I moved here over 4 years ago, you could expect to get lucky occasionally, but not often. I think it's more likely to take you about 45 minutes during rush hour and sometimes it will be longer.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:21 AM

8 posts, read 19,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Bayoula View Post
I live in the area and I don't think you'll be able to get where you want to go in 30 mins. The commute you're asking about is approximately 20 miles and as far as back roads, yes maybe, but then you will be constricted by speed limit, lights, school zones.

When I moved here over 4 years ago, you could expect to get lucky occasionally, but not often. I think it's more likely to take you about 45 minutes during rush hour and sometimes it will be longer.
I was thinking about using NW HW or one of the many parallel roads for the commuting...I did it serveral times to get to love field and it took me about 15 minutes to get to the airport even during peak times... I assumed an extra 10 -15 minutes (tops) to get to I35E...not sure, I think it is doable under 30 minutes from the village.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:44 PM

20 posts, read 64,295 times
I live in a smaller town of Lake Dallas, just "across" the bridge (Lake Lewisville Bridge) north onIHWY35E. from Lewisville. You have chosen a good area the above post is correct in your driving time of approx. 45 min. of course there will be bad weather, car wrecks, etc. that can add to your time but all in all the Lewisville area is a smaller town feel with recreational areas galore around Lewisville Lake as well as in town. You are close to the city of Dallas it self as well as 45 min. or so to Ft. Worth for that "western" feel and all of it's attractions. I think someone mentioned the light rail system (Dart) that should be in place in the next 6 months or so that should have direct access to the hospital area....another thing you should maybe check into. The Rent of $800.00 is in line with the Lewisville area, and you should have plenty of places to choose from. I have heard Cedar Hill, as you have mentioned and I think it would be along the same lines of Lewisville, but I think it's more rural. I really don't know I have had friends with parents that live in the area, but, alas I know nothing to report to you about the area. I do drive into Dallas on occasion as I'm retired and I have never found the drive that bad, but....I have lived in this area a long time and I guess I'm used to it. Traffic is a problem all over the Dallas Metroplex unless you live in town (Dallas) it self and frankly I prefer not to live in all the crime, traffic, and noise that comes with living in a city....but....thats me! I wish you and your family a smooth transition on your move and the happiest of holidays...Need I say welcome to Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas