Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2007, 07:30 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,681,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmarg View Post
Why would anyone move to Dallas? Its flat, crowded and most of all check out the extremely hot and humid weather. Our son lives in Dallas and he said it is brutal right now. It will remain that way into October. Air on all the time. Sweating 24-7. We have been there in the summer and it is the worst we have ever felt. Worse than the Amazon jungle. Because it is extremely hot as well as humid.

There just is no comparison. I will take traffic any day over that weather. Besides, you can move to less traffic areas but you cant move from the weather. Think about it.
Ah....johnmarg...your back. I remember you from a while back. We get it....you don't like Texas. Worse than the amazon jungle??????
You live in Cali and you think it's crowded in Texas???? Gimmee a break!

Old 06-10-2007, 08:19 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
ROTHFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If anyone in their right mind thinks the weather we have had lately is "brutal" they need drugs. The mornings have been a bit humid and muggy but they have cleared up VERY nicely and been just down right pleasant. Even this afternoon outside in the shade there was a GREAT breeze and it was comfortable. I should now as I've been out in it be at local car shows or out by the pool. You can have the stinkin traffic, I'll take our pretty decent weather for most of the year and a few icky days in between to not have to put up w/ insane traffic 365 days a year.
Ive been in Dallas traffic...it sucks, what are you saying??? Ive been on the 183 and I 35 for hours. Airconditioner on full blast, inching forward. So you have nasty humidity and bad traffic. Hey find me a city in America that does not have bad traffic (except my new beautiful home here in Colorado Springs, Co). I would drive from Dallas to Fort worth and it was just as bad as the 101 in Los Angeles.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:50 PM

739 posts, read 3,057,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
Rancho Palos Verdes :-)
This is the ONLY are of LA I would live in My grandmother owns a house there and its worth 1.5 million. She bought it new like 40 years ago, before the place was developed. Talk about a great investment.

But, there is no way I could even afford to rent there. Crazy ridiculous.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:59 PM

739 posts, read 3,057,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
I may come at this type of assessment from a different angle because I grew up in a bad area in Wash DC (in MD, on the border of DC)....it's like I have a nose for it.

I lived in San Diego for years and got around downtown and the 'bad' areas alot....they just weren't the same as other cities I've been to.. There simply are not areas in San Diego that feel threatening to me. That adds to the charm/ambiance of the city. It is also why it's one of the most expensive places in the world to live....there just isn't much of anything bad there, except for median home prices. Look at the stats, San Diego really has little crime for being the 6-7th largest city in the US. Austin has the same type of feel to me...but I don't know it well enough to comment.

I think what changes a city is hope...when low income people have the opportunity to make something of themselves (jobs, real estate appreciation, education opps. etc.), the attitudes change and you begin to see improvements. One thing that helps low income types in CA is home appreciation. Seems trivial, but if your 100k shack in the inner city is suddenly worth 300k and you now see the city rebuilding around you....it builds hope.

Per the article I posted the other day regarding Dallas being one of the top cities for doing just this....I think there is an excellent future for all socio-economic classes within the city limits. But I still believe parts of the city have alot of crime and you need to be aware of that if your moving here. To simply say all places have violent crime, end of story....I'm not onboard with that reasoning.
You have never been to City Heights or parts of National City have you I live in City Heights and its pretty bad. However, I will give you that I feel safe in San Diego. I really do. I was in downtown until almost 4 am the other night being the sober driver and making sure I got people home safely. But, we were in bars and went to Santana's in Hillcrest. I can walk around downtown and feel safe. I used to live in Fresno and every time I go there I feel unsafe. I hate that city. You just don't hear crazy thins about San Diego violence.

But, you definitely pay for all this. The decent house in the ghetto that I live in currently, costs $1800 a month to rent. They are getting ready to put it on the market for $550k. Thats 3x's what I would pay for a house 10x's nicer and 2x's bigger in a safer place in Texas.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:19 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Ive been in Dallas traffic...it sucks, what are you saying??? Ive been on the 183 and I 35 for hours. Airconditioner on full blast, inching forward. So you have nasty humidity and bad traffic. Hey find me a city in America that does not have bad traffic (except my new beautiful home here in Colorado Springs, Co). I would drive from Dallas to Fort worth and it was just as bad as the 101 in Los Angeles.
Well my dear, on those two highways IN rush hour traffic going WITH the traffic is going to be bad - moving at a slow pace and probably the crawl you were doing was because of a major accident (btw, I highly doubt you were on one highway for "hours" unless it was some freakish really bad accident that shut down the entire highway and frontage roads). That does not mean that ALL highways are going to be THAT bad during rush hour and in both directions. Here we at least have a normal "rush hour" and in between it is clear sailing for the most part bar there are no major accidents or major construction. If the traffic was THAT bad all of the time on ALL of the highways my trucks would not be able to get the job done that they do (and no they are not speeding, take care of that problem w/ computers ). So traffic here is MUCH different than in LA where it is a slow crawl ALL the time no matter which direction your going. I've been in that too enough to know the difference.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94 View Post
Ah....johnmarg...your back. I remember you from a while back. We get it....you don't like Texas. Worse than the amazon jungle??????
You live in Cali and you think it's crowded in Texas???? Gimmee a break!
Yep, I thought the same thing when I read his post. Nothing but negative, negative, negative. For someone that has only visited here once for a short amount of time they sure know a lot about the area - NOT! Oh well, guess it is their form of fun. We all better make a list of places in the U.S. that get much hotter and are more humid than DFW and make sure he never goes there or else he'll just plain pass out. South Florida is one place he should avoid and by all means do NOT go to Key West.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:35 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,432,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
ROTHFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If anyone in their right mind thinks the weather we have had lately is "brutal" they need drugs. The mornings have been a bit humid and muggy but they have cleared up VERY nicely and been just down right pleasant. Even this afternoon outside in the shade there was a GREAT breeze and it was comfortable. I should now as I've been out in it be at local car shows or out by the pool. You can have the stinkin traffic, I'll take our pretty decent weather for most of the year and a few icky days in between to not have to put up w/ insane traffic 365 days a year.

Was Johnmarg the one from a while back that was looking to move out here but didn't, then spent the next 2 months on the boards bashing Dallas and the heat ? I think he wanted to live some place that was colder. I've been in extreme humidity before and tha last few weeks have not been that bad. Extreme is the East coast. You can't breath there...

As for the traffic here, yes the tolllway and the 75 are not fun....however, to go north and south on any given day there are about 40 other options. None of which are all that bad. LA traffic is far more brutal.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:43 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,916 times
Atlanta has more than it's share of traffic woes. They had three of the top 25 slots on the list of worst (interstate) traffic intersections. And once they let 50,000+ people sit (for up to 5 hours) on I-85 when construction crews cut a gas main, because they didn't want to cut off service to 10,000 gas customers. I've spent an hour trying to get between I-85 and I-75 on the north side of I-285 that's a distance of about 10 miles. It took me another hour to get to Acworth, about another 10 miles north.

But nothing I've seen has been as bad as DC on a Friday afternoon trying to get from Columbia, MD to Richmond, VA (143 miles) took me over 6 hours.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
Atlanta has more than it's share of traffic woes. They had three of the top 25 slots on the list of worst (interstate) traffic intersections. And once they let 50,000+ people sit (for up to 5 hours) on I-85 when construction crews cut a gas main, because they didn't want to cut off service to 10,000 gas customers. I've spent an hour trying to get between I-85 and I-75 on the north side of I-285 that's a distance of about 10 miles. It took me another hour to get to Acworth, about another 10 miles north.

But nothing I've seen has been as bad as DC on a Friday afternoon trying to get from Columbia, MD to Richmond, VA (143 miles) took me over 6 hours.
OMYGOSH!!!!!!! I"d already be to Amarillo in 6 hours and that is going from the east side of Dallas County all the way to the west. Better yet, one could pack a bag, load up the car, stop and fill up the gastank and head to Galveston. Drive all the way thru HOUSTON TRAFFIC and be checked in and laying by the pool or strolling on the beach. No thanks. I'll keep my pretty decent Dallas traffic and our weather. And I forgot, that is with me going from the northeast quadrant of Dallas County and thru Dallas to get to Galveston.

Yes, Johnmarq was on here awhile back. If you click on the users name and then drop down to "find all posts by" you can see what all someone has posted. He kept trying to find the impossible. He is what did we call it, "drive by posters" that just comes on every so many months and never adds anything usefull at all. Just uses up space with nonsense and garbage.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:21 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,681,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
I use to travel the 101 regularly.......NOTHING compares to that. You could knit a blanket before getting home from work!! I don't have to travel from Ft. Worth to Dallas very often...but I can say for a fact that it is nothing like the 101...that my dear is an exaggeration BIG TIME!!! In fact on a Friday night during rush hour (labor day weekend last year as a matter of fact) I drove from the HEB area to downtown Dallas and it took about 50 minutes. I was pleasantly surprised. (Took a group of kids to the Animefest.........yeah I'm a trooper!! lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas