Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2010, 02:58 PM

36 posts, read 132,942 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate to the great State of Texas, and I'm pretty much sold on The Woodlands or the surrounding area, but one thing's nagging me and that's the astonishing level of humidity. I'm kind of used to it here in eastern NC, but ... if I could find something comparable to The Woodlands, up north of Dallas, with more reasonable humidity, that'd be well worth looking at. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 03:11 PM

50 posts, read 162,059 times
It depends on what it is about The Woodlands that you find appealing. If it's purely aesthetic, you won't find that same ultra-heavy tree density here but if it's amenities you're concerned about, the general area of Plano, Allen, Frisco, McKinney, etc. has it in spades.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:52 PM

The amenities are part of it, but the forest and wildlife are the main draws to that particular community.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:43 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,885,780 times
Quote:
forest and wildlife are the main draws to that particular community.
Nope not here wrong region.
North Texas is in the Prairie/plains area...flat
The woodlands is located in the very southern part of the Piney woods.

Just as you won't find mountians in east Colorado you won't find the big woods and dense trees in North Texas.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:58 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,883,453 times
There are regions up here where you _can_ find forest, but it's not pine forest and it's not as thick. The Cross Timbers run right along 35/35-W.

It's not near McKinney, though. You might try the Mineral Wells/Weatherford/Springtown area.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:15 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,067,215 times
Why the McKinney area?

We can put you in McKinney. And we can put you in a heavily forested area, places like Southlake, etc.

But we cannot combine the two.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:34 AM

Yeah, that's what it's sounding like -- the age-old adage of "you want good, fast, and cheap? pick two."

I had just heard that McKinney had a particularly strong presence of my particular religious affiliation (LDS). If I could have that community, plus the foresty wildlife goodness of the Woodlands, and not swelter to death in humidity, that'd be ideal. The Woodlands seems to hit on most cylinders, it's developed and a "complete" community but still quite nature-based etc., only real downside is the humidity in the summers (which, here in coastal NC, I have too, so it's not that bad, but...) I've heard the humidity is substantially milder in the Dallas area (which, of course, makes sense) so ... well, I thought, hey, it can't hurt to ask... if you could have everything you want, and get rid of the part you don't want, that'd be ideal. Rare, though.

Thanks for all the responses!

Old 02-25-2010, 05:32 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,253,696 times
You may like Tucker Hill in McKinney. It's located right on US380 just east of Custer. Tucker Hill | Dallas | Fort Worth | McKinney New Homes – Texas Real Estate (http://www.tuckerhilltx.com/Home.aspx - broken link) It's not your typical suburbia neighborhood. They have craftsman, bungalows, tudors etc. The neighborhood is surrounded by woods.

Naima

Old 02-25-2010, 05:51 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,153,975 times
Central Dallas is shaded by a canopy of trees - it's not like the Woodlands - though, and we like that!

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/2876/whiterocklakeskylinemk7.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-25-2010, 07:58 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,856,148 times
Stonebridge Ranch in McKinney has been laid out and landscaped on a level above the average Collin County neighborhood. Lots of lakes, some wooded areas and the golf courses provide many nice vistas. McKinney does have a lot of old growth trees in the creek bottoms that does give a nice relief to the prairie. Many developments have creek lots that back to these woods and at least gives a bit of feeling of being in a more wooded area. The more historic section of McKinney also has some mature tree cover.

I am a Georgia native and the biggest gripe about living in TX is that the tree cover and rolling terrain I am used to is missing here. However, I find McKinney the closest in this area to replicating what I came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas