Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 08:25 PM

5 posts, read 7,985 times

Advertisements

We moved to Dallas in Aug. and rented a house in NW Richardson, off Campbell near UTD. I work at SMU (main campus). Although we've appreciated the conveniences of Richardson (GREAT food shopping!), as well as the safety and overall friendliness of the town, it's not really us. We were hoping there would be a community of academic types in our neighborhood, which is literally a stone's throw from the UTD campus, but that's not the case (or somehow we've missed them at the block party/school carnival, community center, etc.). Also, the Richardson elem. school our son is at is not a good fit for him. (He gets in trouble for reading in class when he completes his work and has resigned himself to not getting singled out or being teased for having liberal views/Obama voting parents–kind of funny to us, in a depressing sort of way).

We're now in the process of figuring out where to try next. In spite of our little challenges in Richardson, we've also been encouraged by the amount of like minded people we've met around the larger DFW area. I should also say I've been really impressed by SMU and the people I've met there (in spite of the presidential library decision). We also found some really wonderful schools for our kids (White Rock Montessori and Lindsley Park Community School). Because both schools are located in East Dallas, we're targeting our search there. (We also really like the feel of the overall area.) We're even considering buying instead of renting again, to both take advantage of low mortgage rates and plant some roots.

The current challenge we're having is settling on an East Dallas area, coupled with finding a home we can afford. We're in the (stretching some) 250-300k range, and we'd like (at least) a 3 bdrm 1800 sq'. We also would like to find a home that has decent resale potential, as my career has the potential to take me to other places in the future. We find many of the more funky homes we like have been sitting on the market for a while; yet we find other more traditional homes that go to contract in days. Fortunately, we can rent month-to-month in Richardson when our current lease expires, so we have some flexibility, (but we'd really like to get more settled prior to next fall for the kids.) The areas we like the most (aesthetically speaking) are Lake Highlands below Northwest Hwy and also Flag Pole Hill area, essentially everything under Lake Highlands along the east edge of White Rock Lake down to Forest Hills. We also like Lindsley Park area (though we have been warned about it by some people as being near high crime areas- is this accurate??). There are parts of Lakewood that could work as well, but it seems more pricey.

Curious anyone's thoughts, especially areas we're maybe missing (considering the location of the kids' schools).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 08:56 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijgreenberg View Post
We moved to Dallas in Aug. and rented a house in NW Richardson, off Campbell near UTD. I work at SMU (main campus). Although we've appreciated the conveniences of Richardson (GREAT food shopping!), as well as the safety and overall friendliness of the town, it's not really us. We were hoping there would be a community of academic types in our neighborhood, which is literally a stone's throw from the UTD campus, but that's not the case (or somehow we've missed them at the block party/school carnival, community center, etc.). Also, the Richardson elem. school our son is at is not a good fit for him. (He gets in trouble for reading in class when he completes his work and has resigned himself to not getting singled out or being teased for having liberal views/Obama voting parents–kind of funny to us, in a depressing sort of way).

We're now in the process of figuring out where to try next. In spite of our little challenges in Richardson, we've also been encouraged by the amount of like minded people we've met around the larger DFW area. I should also say I've been really impressed by SMU and the people I've met there (in spite of the presidential library decision). We also found some really wonderful schools for our kids (White Rock Montessori and Lindsley Park Community School). Because both schools are located in East Dallas, we're targeting our search there. (We also really like the feel of the overall area.) We're even considering buying instead of renting again, to both take advantage of low mortgage rates and plant some roots.

The current challenge we're having is settling on an East Dallas area, coupled with finding a home we can afford. We're in the (stretching some) 250-300k range, and we'd like (at least) a 3 bdrm 1800 sq'. We also would like to find a home that has decent resale potential, as my career has the potential to take me to other places in the future. We find many of the more funky homes we like have been sitting on the market for a while; yet we find other more traditional homes that go to contract in days. Fortunately, we can rent month-to-month in Richardson when our current lease expires, so we have some flexibility, (but we'd really like to get more settled prior to next fall for the kids.) The areas we like the most (aesthetically speaking) are Lake Highlands below Northwest Hwy and also Flag Pole Hill area, essentially everything under Lake Highlands along the east edge of White Rock Lake down to Forest Hills. We also like Lindsley Park area (though we have been warned about it by some people as being near high crime areas- is this accurate??). There are parts of Lakewood that could work as well, but it seems more pricey.

Curious anyone's thoughts, especially areas we're maybe missing (considering the location of the kids' schools).

Thanks!
Don't get discouraged! East Dallas is known for being a little more boho/liberal/accepting than the Park Cities/ North Dallas/ Northern Suburban crowd. You have a great price point to work with! Lakewood is going to be too expensive for you, given the size home for which you're looking.

Have you looked on the East Side of the lake yet? The neighborhoods just south of Northwest Highway (Old Lake Highlands, Lochwood, Forrest Hills, Casa Linda) are wonderful! Bigger lots, many are walking distance to the Lake, great family neighborhoods.
Look a couple of these addresses up that are for sale & tell me what you think:

9906 El Patio Dallas, TX 75218
$278,000
3/2/2 car garage 1,840sf 110x165 (.42 acre) lot

8514 San Pedro Pkwy Dallas, TX 75218
$269,950
3/2/carport 1,996sf 100x160 (.37 acre) lot

10335 Lake Gardens Dallas, TX 75219
$239,500
3/2/2 car garage 1,775sf 70x150 lot

10526 Evangeline Way Dallas, TX 75218
$269,000
4/2/2 car garage 2,705sf 70x117 lot

9929 Woodgrove Dallas, TX 75218
3/2/2 car garage 1,892sf 80x175lot

658 Harter Dallas, TX 75218
$304,900
3/2/2 car garage 2,079sf 75x138 lot

Old 03-08-2010, 07:28 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
frankly I don't think you are going to find a liberal enclave anywhere without some advanced planning--and I wager that "liberals" are in the minority at SMU as well even if most people don't get in your face about your values...

Dallas is a conservative town--check the vote for past elections--
I wager that my husband and I were the only people in OUR neighborhood in Hurst to vote for Obama--and there are probably 80 houses in our subdivision...

IF you want to do some advanced planning--join young democrats--ask some people where they are living--I bet they will be scattered all over--so you can't count on finding people with your mindset/values living all on same street or even many living in same neighborhood unless you happen to strike a vein and get lucky...

as far as your house hunt--the market is active in the Metroplex--some people are shopping for home with their desired features and they will pounce on one when it comes on the market--

there are some features that are VERY difficult to find in certain areas/price ranges--so when homes with those features come on the market there are usually people waiting to put in contract--

and those "desireable" features vary--can't give you precise list--but some people are shopping for homes with larger backyards/privacy, being in catchment for specific elementary/middle schools, being close to DART transport but not close to busy thoroughfares, having sidewalks in neighborhood, having HOA with involved homeowners, having homes in certain age/sq ft ranges, looking for specific type of room arrangement, wanting one already redone vs having to do remodeling, looking for 2 car garage vs one car in older neighborhoods...

it just varies...
but I agree that some homes judged less-desireable because they are dated, unrenovated, overpriced, in bad location, having bad floor plan--WILL sit on the market for months
and new listings that are more desireable can be gone within 48 hrs...

set up a tickler on a good MLS site that will notify you when homes enter MLS in your desired price range/sq ft/location--or maybe you have done that
there are some people who have relationships with realtors who deal in areas they are interested in who get upfront info BEFORE a home is ready to go on the market--so sometimes they can make an offer before other people get chance to enter the process--
if the offer is fair the seller is usually willing to trade a possible higher price for certainty of buyer...

I can PM you a great site for Metroplex that lets you set up ticker--

Old 03-08-2010, 10:32 AM

225 posts, read 519,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijgreenberg View Post

Thanks!
I can imagine it has proved difficult for you to find something that fits all of your needs. Btw, I went to UTD for a semester while transferring back to the University of Oklahoma and the campus is not like a normal College campus. It is very much a commuter campus. I'm glad that you enjoy your job at SMU, it is a very good school.

Regarding a home, you can find a home in that price range with 3 bedrooms in the Lake Highlands and surrounding areas and you won't have to give up too much. You could even find something below $250k that meets both your sq. ft. needs and room number. Do your best not to stretch to meet the purchase price! You'll be thankful later.

Lake Highlands and the surrounding area is of value here because the lots that the homes sit on are appreciating as this is a desirable area to move to. Fortunately, unlike some of the Southern counterparts, it's not outside of your price range like Lakewood, M streets or even higher in the Park Cities.

Richardson is made up of the older demographic and it sounds like your family is younger than the prototypical resident. It is beginning to experience turnover as far as younger people moving in, but not like Lake Highlands at this point.

Loves2read made some good suggestions in order to get plugged in to social groups of like-minded people.

That's sad by the way that your son is getting in trouble for reading after he finishes his assignments. I can only dream that my children will have that kind of passion for learning, but probably not. I know kids can be merciless in there teasing as well. If it's not one thing it's the other.

Ryan

Old 03-08-2010, 11:01 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,483,372 times
I live in an East Dallas neighborhood east of the lake and we're split between liberal/conservative. Mostly the older residents are firm conservatives and many are moving onto the next phase in their life, and as a result, younger families with more liberal views are moving in. You can easily find a home within your budget in my area...some remodeled and some not.

Regarding Lindsley Community School, have you checked the application process? I believe first round admissions/applications will be notified this weekend. At LCS and WR Montessori, you will find many like-minded families.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:22 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Lake Highlands is a lot more conservative than East Dallas/Lakewood -- be careful of that..

You should try the areas just north and south of Mockingbird around Skillman and Abrams east to White Rock Lake - 75206 and 75214. On the north side there are more 50s and 60s ranch style homes and on the south side you get more into early ranch style homes with Tudor and Colonial embellishments - most of those were built in the late 40s to the late 50s. All of these are extremely well-built and have good resale. Those are both in excellent elementaries, Stonewall Jackson and Lakewood (both Blue Ribbon, exemplary). If you want something a bit more boho and liberal, try Junius Heights - older Craftsman and Tudor homes in the exemplary Lipscomb Elementary district. Also you might find something in Hollywood Heights, close to Lindsley Community School - look in 75223. Also Hollywood is zoned to Lakewood Elementary.

A game-changer in the schools in that area is the implementation of IB in the Woodrow Wilson HS feeder pattern - pre-IB for the ninth grade class starts this fall and the plan is to roll-out IB MYP and PYP to Long Middle School and a couple of the elementaries. It that all goes well, there will be great potential for housing prices to rise significantly.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:40 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,518,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Dallas is a conservative town--check the vote for past elections--
I wager that my husband and I were the only people in OUR neighborhood in Hurst to vote for Obama--and there are probably 80 houses in our subdivision...
Dallas is blue. While the counties surrounding Dallas are conservative, the city of Dallas voted 66% for Obama in 2008. Dallas County voted 57% for Obama in 2008. Kerry won the city of Dallas in 2004 and Bush barely won the county with 51%. Hurst probably does vote much differently, but that's not Dallas anyway.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:06 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
dallas goes democrat because of the minorities--hispanic and black number 64% of residents--which make anglos minority technically...
check the precinct votes--
I would be surprised if there were predominately anglo precincts that voted Obama majority...but would welcome information
I know the only precincts of FTW that carried Democratic vote were the predominately minority ones...

Old 03-08-2010, 04:41 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,518,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
dallas goes democrat because of the minorities--hispanic and black number 64% of residents--which make anglos minority technically...
check the precinct votes--
I would be surprised if there were predominately anglo precincts that voted Obama majority...but would welcome information
I know the only precincts of FTW that carried Democratic vote were the predominately minority ones...
I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but I've heard those comments before and I remain unpersuaded. To suggest that Hispanics and Blacks are really social conservatives who consistently vote Democratic while Anglos are "stick to their values" conservatives who vote Republican really stereotypes all three groups. True, some minorities who vote Democrat may be social conservatives who vote based on their allegiance to the Democratic party for other reasons. The converse could be true for many urban Anglos. Some Anglos may be socially liberal, but they still vote Republican for other reasons. I just don't see how you can surmise the degree to which any given racial group is conservative or liberal without more criteria.

Your post said something to the effect of "Dallas is a conservative town.......look at past election results". Doing so indicates that the City of Dallas has been blue for a while and Dallas County has been blue since at least 2006. I'm just saying that if you use past elections as your barometer for liberal or conservative, then the results do NOT support that Dallas is presently a conservative city. That doesn't necessarily mean it's liberal either. I think that old stereotypes die hard and Dallas still gets the conservative label even though it has clearly moved on. Dallas (city and county) strikes me as being a pretty moderate place politically. Another poster, LAnative, posted a very interesting study done by a University or an Institute in CA that rated American cities from liberal to conservative. That study placed Dallas to the left of quite a few cities that don't get the usual "conservative" stereotype that we do. I'll see if I can find it and I'll post it later.

BTW, I don't have time to go searching for individual precincts right now, but I think you would be surprised to find more than a few predominantly Anglo precincts in the City of Dallas that voted for Obama in 2008. Kerry in 2004 as well. They would mostly be located in E. Dallas, Uptown/Oak Lawn and N. Oak Cliff.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:08 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Ummm if a McKinney Real Estate agent tells you the schools in 'these areas' are not the best be very wary. She/he doesn't know what he/she is talking about! Newsweek and Texas Monthly have chosen some of the schools in 'these areas' as some of the best in the nation and state. Not that I put that much stock in bad TAKS rankings (because a few in one subgroup can cause the whole school to fail) but McKinney High School itself is academically unacceptable - so there!

Great schools in Oak Lawn/Uptown and East Dallas are Booker T Washington, Travis Academy, Bonham Elementary, Stonewall Jackson Elementary, Lakewood Elementary, Lipscomb Elementary, Woodrow Wilson High School, Hexter Elementary, Sanger Elementary and J.L. Long Middle School. These have high rankings by publications, some have Blue Ribbons, some national awards, some regularly win prestigious competitions or place highly, some have exemplary TAKS rankings etc.

I'm sure I'm missing some schools, but these are obvious to anybody who knows Dallas.

Also I agree, there are a lot of white and / or upper middle class and wealthy liberals in 'these areas'. During the presidential election there were practically no McCain signs anywhere near me..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas