Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 08:53 PM

137 posts, read 328,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
Drove by the In & Out on Caruth Haven today ... looks like they are almost ready to open ... parking lot striped and palm trees! Anyone know when?
I drove by there on Sunday. Youre corrrect, its close. My guess is three to four weeks. Maybe sooner and definitely good if they have hired and currently training those staff in the restaurants that are now open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 12:13 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdflyer View Post
Why apologize to anyone for your opinion?

By the way, certainly you must realize its not just 'Cali-Texans' in those lines.

You are right on. I took the fam up to Frisco last week, and had a conversation with a guy in line who was very devoted and had been 4 times, he was there with his wife and kids. I figured he lived nearby, nope, Mesquite. So, I figured he was from California and was on a nostalgia trip. Nope, Missouri, and had never been before they came to Texas.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:40 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Before you start beating that christian values drum, you need to know that Chik-fil-a is closed Sundays BUT occasionally holds employee meetings on Sundays. And although In-n-Out references bible verses on some of their packaging, they ARE open on Sundays. Perhaps this is noteworthy for Believers, but I think its inconsistent with those same "christian" values.

Its not clear to which of the two you are referring about paid religious holidays but keep in mind that in order to comply with equal employment practices, they would have to be paying for holidays recognized by ALL religions. They cannot single out 'christian' holidays for this benefit.

My guess is they are the same as most good employers in that the holiday pay is based on the fact that it is a federal or traditionally recognized holiday. Its more about tradition and/or government recognition than about it having some sort of christian religious value. Its definitely not being paid solely because its a christian holiday.

Most good employers will offer holiday pay for those holidays in which they are closed. For the holidays which the business is open, they will offer a pay premium to those that work. This is common practice and nothing special. Most good employers do it.

I get paid holidays when our office is closed but it has nothing to do with religion. Its because they are standard recognized holidays.

Without a doubt, In n Out is known as a good employer and values their employees with premium pay rates and bright white company uniforms. The company has had those values since Harry and Esther Snyder started it over 60 years ago.
Chick Fila was my very first job soon as I hit 15. I can confirm as fact we never held employee meetings on Sundays. They honor the Sabbath & it is something more companies these days should practice IMO. Other countries still do it, why not US?

In-N-Out referencing Bible verses in a state like California is risking a lot (law suits, anti-Christian protests, etc. etc.) in this day & age & I'll say once again I am quite shocked no nut job has tried to silence them in that crazy state all these years even if they are a so called "institution" over there.

Their food gets 5 stars as far as fast food goes, but its just that...fast food. I waited in line for over 45 minutes the other day & wouldn't do it again just for a fast food burger.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:19 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,593,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It's an odd place for it; can't see it from 75 unless you know to look for it, can't see it from Greenville either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
It's actually a great location. The Chick-Fil-A that is in the same block is one of the highest grossing CFA's in the entire chain and the #1 grossing one in DFW.

I'm sure In-N-Out did their real estate homework.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'm sure they did too, I guess they are relying more on neighborhood residents/workers for their clientele than passers-by.
Steak-and-Shake already failed in that location. It had a similar premise as well, though admittedly not the same quality nor the same devoted following. However, it must be said that the neighborhood residents are not likely to be a part of that devoted following of In-n-Out. The place will do a lot of business for the first month or two and then I think it won't be anything more than a normal fast-food joint, whereas the ones up in Calin County will do very well.

Most people I know from the Park Cities and North Dallas are partial to local burger places like Jack's (Burger House) and Snuffers and Jake's and aren't likely to be regular visitors to In-n-Out unless it is, indeed fast. If they stay open late they may get a lot of SMU traffic but I doubt it's going to be anything to write back to LA about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
They're going to draw from the entire east/central/north Dallas area, including uptown. That CFA is the closest one to my Uptown/Oak Lawn address and even though it's probably 4 miles away, I still hit it a couple of times a month. The next closest CFA is across from Jesuit. I-N-O seems to be following a similar store spacing strategy with no other plans for a second location inside 635. I-N-O will also draw on the NorthPark crowds since it's 1 exit from the mall.

I can't really think of any restaurants/attractions/shops along 75 or the Tollroad south of 635 that draw from "drive by" traffic.
They're opening one at Midway and 635 on the Dallas side...I can't see both of them doing a lot of business, but there are probably 20 McDonald's in the area between 635, 35, Downtown, and 75, so I think two restaurants will be all right for them. I just don't think they're going to be putting up huge numbers.

The Chick-fil-As do very good business but they've got a unique product, whereas In-n-Out is just another hamburger joint. I'm not going to wait in hour-long lines at the Park Cities location just to get a burger, and I'm going to be very, very upset if there are traffic jams in my neighborhood because they're opening an In-n-Out on Midway combined with the mess they're already making of 635. That's how I get to work, it's going to be more annoying than anything.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Chick Fila was my very first job soon as I hit 15. I can confirm as fact we never held employee meetings on Sundays. They honor the Sabbath & it is something more companies these days should practice IMO. Other countries still do it, why not US?
I knew a Chick fil a manager a few years ago and he held employee meetings on Sundays. He told me it was the best day to do it because everyone is off and it did not disrupt the normal operation of the restaurant.

Even with In n Outs slant toward religion, they are open on Sundays and their employees work on Sundays.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post

They're opening one at Midway and 635 on the Dallas side...

The Chick-fil-As do very good business but they've got a unique product, whereas In-n-Out is just another hamburger joint.
Where is the location at 635/Midway? I dont think Ive seen much info posted about it here.

In n Out's burgers are definitely unique, especially compared to other fast food burgers. I wont go into the details, there are plenty of posts here that identify the differences.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:33 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Quote:
I knew a Chick fil a manager a few years ago and he held employee meetings on Sundays. He told me it was the best day to do it because everyone is off and it did not disrupt the normal operation of the restaurant.

Even with In n Outs slant toward religion, they are open on Sundays and their employees work on Sundays.
Doesn't Tom Thumb have that same religious slant? I heard their people get time and a half for working on Sundays. I have no idea if that's true though.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:55 AM

554 posts, read 1,196,494 times
Quote:
In-N-Out referencing Bible verses in a state like California is risking a lot (law suits, anti-Christian protests, etc. etc.) in this day & age & I'll say once again I am quite shocked no nut job has tried to silence them in that crazy state all these years even if they are a so called "institution" over there.
Quote:
I love Chick Fila & applaud their religious values. Same goes with In N Out. I'm glad those lib-tards in government over there didn't try to silence In N Out & I'm glad they stuck to their core Christian beliefs in the land of fruits & nuts where Christianity is shunned upon.
Wow, you stay classy, Metro Matt. Seriously, what is your problem? I am from California and I happen to be very liberal. So what? I still love Texas. Why do you want to be my or any other liberal person's enemy? Cut it out. Keep politics out of this thread and don't push your views on other people. The California state government has never persecuted In-N-Out for their religious views nor have they actively took steps to do so. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous. That would be like me saying, "Well, Texas has a large number of conservatives so I am surprised they haven't attempted to, oh, I don't know, tweak school textbooks to better suit a conservative world-view." Oh, wait...
Come off of it and stick to the topic at hand, IN-N-OUT. I would enjoy a FRIENDLY political debate with you IN the political threads of City-Data only.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:49 AM

1,631 posts, read 4,224,151 times
Quote:
Because not everyone here is Christian or religious. Sunday is not the sabbath to me. If a company wants to do it, fine. I just think that religion and business should not go hand in hand. There is nothing more frustrating on a sunday morning when I want Chick fil a breakfast and then realize it is Sunday.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:11 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,613,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
Because not everyone here is Christian or religious. Sunday is not the sabbath to me. If a company wants to do it, fine. I just think that religion and business should not go hand in hand. There is nothing more frustrating on a sunday morning when I want Chick fil a breakfast and then realize it is Sunday.
Wow - the old blue laws here must have REALLY given you fits. If you've been around here that long.

I admit that it's a little frustrating not being able to go to Chick-Fil-A on Sundays, but I respect their right to set their policies as they see fit.

As for In-N-Out, I'll definitely try them if they ever get the Garland location opened. What was billed as their "first location in Texas" is starting to look like their last to be built. Until then, I'll get by with my Whataburgers and local joints such as Burger Island and Joe Willy's in Rockwall, who make the best french fries in the Dallas area. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas