Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 05:10 PM

229 posts, read 338,108 times

Advertisements

There's a running debate from people on this site about the pros and cons of living in the Dallas city limits or living in the burbs. What is better, safer, etc, however "safe" is nowhere anymore and depending on what your definition of comfort is might not be another persons definition. Although I live in north CA now I was born and raised in the Midwest so besides the summer heat, the transition away from the ocean, etc, is not that big of a deal to me especially since with the various lakes around Dallas there is more than enough to get my water fix. However if people are pushing me more away from the city limits there are a few things I would be looking for I'm hoping people can help me narrow my search.

I am 36, straight male, no GF/ wife, no kids, mixed race, not a club person at all, do more laid back "everyone knows your name" kinda bars than "$30k millionaires" ones, like the arts, sports of course, fishing, water activities, and just checking out new things. I guess the safer areas of DT would seem to have everything I listed below however, I am curious if there are areas outside DT that would have at least a few of the things I am looking for:

1. Good area for renting (including houses) that is not a killer commute into Dallas or has decent public transportation system (maybe even light rail) into Dallas if I choose to work in the city but live outside and my car ever quits out on me.

2. Although initially I would spend most of my time with family/ friends who visit and members of my religious organization primarily I still like to find a area that isn't 99% married family units but also not a frat type of neighborhood.

3. An area with a decent variety of food options (i.e chinese, italian, soul food, but also Texas staples). I'm not picky so i'm not talking the best in the world but just decent options.

4. Diverse mix of people (races, cultures, restaurant foods, etc). Guess that's kinda obvious since I'm mixed race but I also love meeting new people from all over with various cultures and backgrounds.

5. Any SPECIFIC areas to avoid due to HIGHER THAN USUAL crime? I've heard people just say stay away from various areas but not sure if it's because of crime or just boring areas (i.e Greenville, Irving, Los Colinas).

Anything else you can think of would be helpful, if you have more questions fire them off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 05:28 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,324,000 times
It's still in town, but you strike me as a Lakewood kind of guy. Small town in the big city, everyone knows their neighbors (who range from single professionals to young families to empty nesters and the elderly), near several entertainment/ shopping areas that are more laid back (Lakewood Village, White Rock Lake), lots of good indie restaurant options, mixed neighborhood of white/ Hispanic/ etc races. Core zip code of 75214 is fairly affluent, but immediate surrounding areas are less so. Crime rate typical of a "safe" part of the big city (vandalism & petty crime are the most common offenses, and also the most easily prevented....rarely any violent crime). Near biking & jogging trails at White Rock Lake. Some homes for rent- lots of duplexes & apartment options in adjacent 75206 (Lakewood Heights) right by Lakewood Village. 10-15 min surface street drive (no highways) into downtown Dallas.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:40 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,186,023 times
Lakewood Proper - east of Abrams over to White Rock Lake is more family oriented while the areas closer to Greenville Avenue, Knox Henderson and Lakewood Shopping Center (south and west) tend to be more of a mix of singles, familiies and couples. I would check out 75206 first as a general rule - but some of 75214 would also work.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:00 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,318,271 times
If Lakewood isn't in your price range (it isn't in many peoples') then check out the Village area around Northwest Highway, Southwestern, etc.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:49 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses, lots to take in. I haven't heard of the Lakewood areas so I will check that out tonight. I looked through the North vs South debate posted on this site to get more information and to be honest it did give me more insight on things. I'm able to get an ideal of places to visit in Aug and some of the areas some have told me to downgrade they are still on my list thanks to several follow up posts. I did however find it disheartening to see a few who have such a twisted grip of people overall. Regardless, please keep letting me know of any hidden gem areas that might have been missed and no I don't mind what side of town it's on if it meets what I'm kinda looking for on the original post.

The key now is to balance area of choice with where the jobs are. Although I have a solid resume and experience the issue, like most find when they are interested in relocating, is the pressure to be in the area before companies bring you in for interviews unless you have a special skill they cannot find locally. The consensus with headhunters in Dallas... my 3 - 4 months of savings will be more than enough to make a jump to the area. They "guesstimate" I would secure a position within 45 days however, people like me in the business administration field are a dime a dozen so in this economy that's really playing financial Russian roulette even if I'm single to just move without a job in hand. My only saving grace... my roommates would save my room here until I secured something there so I have a Plan B if things don't work out but that's still a big transition since I would leave a bird in the hand. For those who currently live in the Dallas and surrounding areas, I love to get your input on this topic (pro or con) on your thoughts of what the headhunters suggested as well.
Thx

Old 06-08-2010, 05:49 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,318,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelDante View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses, lots to take in. I haven't heard of the Lakewood areas so I will check that out tonight. I looked through the North vs South debate posted on this site to get more information and to be honest it did give me more insight on things. I'm able to get an ideal of places to visit in Aug and some of the areas some have told me to downgrade they are still on my list thanks to several follow up posts. I did however find it disheartening to see a few who have such a twisted grip of people overall. Regardless, please keep letting me know of any hidden gem areas that might have been missed and no I don't mind what side of town it's on if it meets what I'm kinda looking for on the original post.

The key now is to balance area of choice with where the jobs are. Although I have a solid resume and experience the issue, like most find when they are interested in relocating, is the pressure to be in the area before companies bring you in for interviews unless you have a special skill they cannot find locally. The consensus with headhunters in Dallas... my 3 - 4 months of savings will be more than enough to make a jump to the area. They "guesstimate" I would secure a position within 45 days however, people like me in the business administration field are a dime a dozen so in this economy that's really playing financial Russian roulette even if I'm single to just move without a job in hand. My only saving grace... my roommates would save my room here until I secured something there so I have a Plan B if things don't work out but that's still a big transition since I would leave a bird in the hand. For those who currently live in the Dallas and surrounding areas, I love to get your input on this topic (pro or con) on your thoughts of what the headhunters suggested as well.
Thx
Personally I would not move here without a job. I know highly qualified and educated people in this area who have been unemployed for over a year.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:33 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,324,000 times
Agree, the general rule is it will take approx 1 month of searching for every $10k in annual income you expect to earn. If you are a high earner, it could take up to a year to land a six-figure job in Dallas.

Unemployment is better here than in other parts, but marketing, finance, commercial real estate, education/ teaching, and law firms are all still quietly doing layoffs in Dallas. My company just did it's third "reorganization" in the past 2 years, with more cuts.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:31 AM

Good points TurtleCreek & BigD. That's about what I told the temp agencies and companies that showed interest. It just doesn't seem smart in this economy to just move with a blind leap of faith without some sort of income. For professionals in the recruiting sector temp agencies seem really out of touch. I don't mind flying out and registering with numerous temp agencies so they can interview and test me but they basically want me to move asap to Dallas (without even knowing what side of town the jobs may be in relation to where I rent temporarily) and just sit by a phone so I can be placed faster than two weeks however, they cannot of course guarantee they would find me anyplace to work before my savings ran out. I had one company who wanted to include me in a pool of other applicants for an interview but the cost factor of flying into Dallas for ONE interview every few weeks would be devastating unless I can find family that works at an airlines that can give me a free ticket once a month.

I think the smarter thing is for me to just keep saving and putting out resumes, I would have to think that within 6 more months SOMEONE out there will be willing to hire someone who wants to relocate. If not, well... it could be worse than having to "endure" living in California longer. =) But it's also nice to get advice and tips about the area, housing, etc as well to factor that in the equation before I move so all this info is helpful.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:44 PM

Thanks Ittlkandice I will save your website for later since it seems very helpful. However, at this point I agree with the others... I need a job locator first. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas