Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2015, 09:56 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,446,282 times

Advertisements

Yeah, there would obviously be some good and some bad with that idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 03:38 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,847,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
^True. Very true.

Would have been interesting if Kettering would have merged with Moraine post-GM AND taken on schooling responsbility from West Carrollton and Jefferson Twp.

Then there would have been developable land, but the flip side would have been the uphill battle of making Moraine viable.
I'm not so sure this would be viable.... Historically speaking, Moraine (aka "West Kettering" or "Van Buren Township") incorporated as a discrete entity with the specific purpose of its residents not becoming part of Kettering. I don't know if this attitude still persists, but it's definitely something that those in power in both cities would likely oppose, and loudly.

What isn't told is that Kettering, because of its' aging housing stock and high taxes, is declining. It isn't as measurable yet as say, Trotwood, but it's definitely still there.It's population has declined from a 1970 high of 69,599 to its current 55,990 (2012 estimate), or about a 20% drop. A lot of people I know who live in Kettering regularly groan about the city or property tax rates and several have voted with their feet (one family to Jamestown, another to Centerville, and two to Beavercreek).

Yes the city does enjoy a high level of services - the rec center, the Fraze, good schools, and a good police department - but the tax dollars are being stretched to the limit. If a merger happened, Moraine - with its lower property values - would become a tax liability for the city of Kettering and all its departments. Then comes the issue of integrating the school districts/transferring a whole city over. You don't turn Pirates into Firebirds just by running a few bus routes... it would probably require infrastructure upgrades, hiring new teachers, etc.

That said, the net effect on Moraine may be positive - property values would rise since Fairmont is measurably better than West Carrollton, and it may give Kettering the room to build... which is something they haven't had the luxury of doing in decades?

I wonder if the real solution for Kettering, instead of building out, is to begin building up. It allows them to tear down the old and outmoded buildings while still increasing the property tax base (with higher-valued buildings). By doing that they can position the city as a viable third alternative in the "Dayton versus Austin Landing" debate?

Old 05-24-2015, 11:00 PM

I've always wanted them to build up. I am not sure if that will ever happen though.

Old 05-25-2015, 03:57 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,900,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
As a person who lives by there, I don't.
I'm confused ( but then I'm easily confused ).

First you said :
Quote:
I am so happy about this. It is something Kettering really needs.

Housing development proposed for Dorothy Lane and Kettering - Dayton Business Journal
Then there was this statement :
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
That it is! Sorry I missed this earlier...

Just wish they would have gone for the 100+ apartments instead.
To which you responded :
Quote:
As a person who lives by there, I don't.
So are you happy with a smaller development, but 100+ is too big(?)

Or are you on different pages? The article said that they were going to put in single family homes and SWOH was looking for apartments.

Is it that you would rather not have renters in that location?

Old 05-25-2015, 04:43 PM

I don't want apartments. We don't need apartments. We need more new, quality homes in Kettering. Too many people are moving south of Kettering because of the housing. Kettering has everything else a family could want.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:44 PM

UD launches $17M student housing project | www.mydaytondailynews.com

Old 05-26-2015, 05:15 PM

I know some don't like this (I am 50/50 on it), but it is something Dayton needs to do to compete with other cities. Ideally, no one would do it, then no one would be forced to do it to keep up.

New strategy: Commercial developers to get tax breaks | www.mydaytondailynews.com

Old 05-26-2015, 05:16 PM

City to rebuild Warren Street near Miami Valley Hospital | www.mydaytondailynews.com

Old 05-26-2015, 05:41 PM

430 posts, read 593,614 times
Quote:
I don't want apartments. We don't need apartments. We need more new, quality homes in Kettering. Too many people are moving south of Kettering because of the housing. Kettering has everything else a family could want.
People are moving south of Kettering because of Kettering's proximity to Dayton--it's the standard white flight expansion to the land of box stores. I've heard people talk about how Kettering's becoming dangerous. Building more subdivisions won't keep those kind of people there, so cities need to stop chasing them.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:44 PM

Lived in Kettering my entire life. We will just have to agree to disagree. And part of the reason for what you state is the small/cheap houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton