Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 01:45 AM

908 posts, read 1,417,872 times

Advertisements

The reason that shopping center reeks of death is because it's owned by the Lofino family and they are extremely poor landlords. When my friends have opened small stores in Beavercreek, they thought that it would be a good location to move to, but after hearing horror stories from the business owners that were still around and wishing they could leave sooner, they had to go elsewhere. I hope that they sell the shopping center area to someone who actually knows how to be a landlord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 06:16 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,446,812 times
It always amazes me how many business people don't know how to run a business right.

I watch all these places fail on Wilmington by Meijer. It really isn't that hard. Bring a good business in, be a good owner/manager/etc.... and you will succeed. There are so many people who come to that area each day. It really shouldn't be that hard. I wish Kettering would buy all the places up (they have bought a few I think) and just demolish them.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:56 AM

Photos inside Oriel Studios at 131 E. 3rd St. in Dayton - Dayton Business Journal

Old 04-04-2015, 07:49 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,158,013 times
Wrightflyer, your suspicions were correct. Lofino's is closing:

Lofino's Closing

Bummer.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:02 AM

908 posts, read 1,417,872 times
I understand that many people are ticked when a local business closes, but for Lofino's, it should be good riddance. Between the way that they blight various shopping centers that they own due to their poor landlording skills and the way that they have bought land under one zoning category, and then have it be converted to a different category so that they can build commercial stuff on it, but get ridiculous amount of tax breaks while ripping off regular people on their property taxes, I'm glad that these bad citizens don't have their primary source of income, and hope that someone can turn their properties into something better or just tear them down.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:07 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,848,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
Wrightflyer, your suspicions were correct. Lofino's is closing:

Lofino's Closing

Bummer.
I've occasionally done business in that shopping center, but only occasionally. I've always wondered why that retail spot seemed to be so dead compared to the nearby shopping area centered on that Kroger's... the answer being obvious that it can really only support one supermarket.

For better or worse, that shopping center will linger on for a few more years, although I don't predict it to be redeveloped as a retail area... I'm not sure what you could put there?

I would love to see it be rebuilt as new housing, with its proximity to 35. Perhaps as apartments, with all the talk about more people renting instead of buying houses? There's almost zero rental opportunities south of 35 in Beavercreek, after all.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:28 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,082,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
I've occasionally done business in that shopping center, but only occasionally. I've always wondered why that retail spot seemed to be so dead compared to the nearby shopping area centered on that Kroger's... the answer being obvious that it can really only support one supermarket.

For better or worse, that shopping center will linger on for a few more years, although I don't predict it to be redeveloped as a retail area... I'm not sure what you could put there?

I would love to see it be rebuilt as new housing, with its proximity to 35. Perhaps as apartments, with all the talk about more people renting instead of buying houses? There's almost zero rental opportunities south of 35 in Beavercreek, after all.
Mills Morgan or Synergy buying it for luxury apartments focused towards younger crowd? Possible. Anyone here anything lately on the plans that Synergy announced for the former Showcase Cinemas off I-675. Behind Cross Point? That sounded promising, but knowing Centerville and its anti-business, bully-minded city council...

And I say anti-business because of their restrictions on development, such as the Dewey's in the town center or how they've handled the Costco and Cornerstone annexation situation. The latter is also being a bad neighbor. Then there is their suppression on any business along Loop that would benefit advertising for the car dealerships, who pay loads in taxes to the city. Wouldn't surprise me if they balk at more apartments too.

Beavercreek residents may balk as well about apartments there (soon-to-be-empty Lofino's space., but I think it would be a good idea. Bob Evans will want to see plans develop soon, though they are always busy there.

I too have heard nothing but bad things about the current generation of certain Lofino family members. However, the family as a whole has donated much to the local Beavercreek community.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:51 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,848,091 times
What about a mixed solution to the plan - conversion of the supermarket site to apartments while still keeping half a shopping center there? It would certainly have the makings of an improvised mixed-use community, and the remaining businesses could certainly benefit from having residents right next door.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:55 AM

I didn't know where to put this, so I am putting it here. If you guys know, let me know, and I will post it there.

Has anyone seen the new signs for the bike trails (I think)? I've seen them in Kettering and they are really nice.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:46 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,158,013 times
^I have not. Unless you are talking about the orange ones that detail the biking distance to destinations. Glad to hear they look good though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton