Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2013, 08:44 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,173,907 times

Advertisements

Indeed Toxic Brew has the ground-zero location, on 5th in the OD. But I'm really wondering if Toxic Brew will open, since there was some scuttlebutt on buildng permit/code issues with the city....after they started construction. I figure this has set them behind schedule...they seem to be way behind their opening date.

So far the one that has opened is the place in Kettering (with a tiny bar or tasting room) and I think there is one to open in Yellow Springs but not sure if it has opened yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 09:11 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
PS: Yuengling? Bah, feh. It's a regional Budweiser. Honestly, it's generic stuff. I love the idea that it's still family owned. That gets respect from me. But their stuff to me has no character.
The Black and Tan and the porter are pretty good, and the family itself is very cool, supporting a lot of community events and nonprofits. But the rest of the beers I could take or leave. They used to be cheap, but now since they're "hip", well, no more.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:25 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,234,095 times
Wow. Who owns the Arcade now anyway? I remember that it was supposed to be renovated no too long ago.

Falling Dayton Arcade windows being boarded up | www.daytondailynews.com

Old 04-26-2013, 05:54 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,173,907 times
It's still owned by that guy up in Wisconsin.

I sort of feel sorry for him because he came in with good intentions but bit off more than he could chew.

The City Paper is pushing an idea (their idea) of relocating the library to the Arcade and have been running stories on this, trying to develop a grassroots push to use the library levy to relocate vs rebuild the library in Cooper Park, or to at least investigate the possibility:

City Paper

They have a good point, but I think this was looked at back in the 1990s and there were structural/loading issues that precluded using the Arcade (apparently the loading from books is higher than standard office construction, like youd find in the Arcade).

Of course, to know for sure they need to have some structural engineering consultant take a close look at the Arcade buildings, to see if it could accomodate. This would be the only show-stopper for moving the library to the Arcade. It would be a great library space, very workable, IMO. Or possibly a good mixed-use redevelopment..library plus other things.

Unfortunalty the leadership in this city (in this case the Library board of directors) doesnt have the vision to make this happen.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:01 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,159,123 times
^Agreed. I know recently the idea of building a new library was pitched as a way to create a new "community space", similar to Fort Wayne's new library.

Successful reconditioning of buildings into libraries have been done in the area - like in Piqua. Their library beautiful integrates into the former Fort Piqua Hotel.

Also, as far as the structural load in concerned, libraries now are very different from how they were in the 1990's. There is less of a need for books and more of a need for "academic space", where individuals can come in and search on a computer in peace for academic research and notes.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:16 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
They have a good point, but I think this was looked at back in the 1990s and there were structural/loading issues that precluded using the Arcade (apparently the loading from books is higher than standard office construction, like youd find in the Arcade).
If that's the case, couldn't the books all go on the first floor, and meeting rooms, computer labs, etc. on the second? Or is the first floor space all occupied ... or am I missing something else?

Old 07-11-2013, 12:38 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,848,701 times
$36 Million Riverfront Development Brings Housing, Office Space to Riverfront

[Avoid the DDN's paywall - here's the Dayton Business Journal article on the development]

Quote:
A crucial, vacant riverfront site — one the city of Dayton has been trying to redevelop for at least seven years — could be home to a $36 million residential-office-retail project in about two years. Dayton City Commission on Wednesday approved a pre-development agreement with a Columbus-led team to revitalize the city-owned property just north of the Dayton Dragons stadium.

The Phase 1 plan — created by developer Crawford Hoying and local firm Woodard Real Estate Resources — calls for construction of a 50,000-square-foot Class A office building with a restaurant, 161 apartment units and a 320-space parking garage north of Monument Avenue and east of Patterson Boulevard.
If the $36 million Phase 1 is successful, Phase 2 could extend south to the Mendelson building, which the group said it has an option to purchase. Phase 3 would be to the east toward Webster Street, and across the river at Deeds Point.

Last edited by hensleya1; 07-11-2013 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: Added non-paywalled article link

Old 07-17-2013, 03:35 PM

WinWholesale is expanding their Moraine HQ by buying a 6-story office tower next door.

I remember seeing the listing on Loopnet, and they got it for pretty cheap. Great strategic move!

WinWholesale buys office building, consolidating workers - Dayton Business Journal

Old 07-17-2013, 03:42 PM

On a related note, Stratacache also took advantage of the deflated Dayton commercial office market.

Last week, they purchased two 50,000 sq.ft. towers right at the corner of I-75 (Poe Ave. to be specific) and Benchwood-Wyse. They got them for only $1 mil (an absolute STEAL considering the land they sat on was probably worth more than that, even in this deflated market).

Stratacache to hire 100 workers at new Vandalia site - Dayton Business Journal

Stratacache got a good deal on buildings | www.daytondailynews.com

Old 07-17-2013, 03:48 PM

908 posts, read 1,418,096 times
Also, the former Cooper Tire warehouse next to 75 is now going to be a warehouse for the Heidelberg Distributing Company, which distributes some commercial beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton