Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 08:51 PM

5 posts, read 7,722 times

Advertisements

It is a little hard to leave Cincinnati. We spend a lot of time in the city especially OTR...I guess bc I live in a city that has made a ton of positive changes it gives me hope that Dayton can someday do the same?! I do understand the difference in opinions. I know plenty of people who still won't step foot in OTR. I am there every week w my family. Just different styles/opinions.

There's something about Historic South Park that we keep leaning towards. Have driven up twice this week and both times ended up there! Would love to talk to parents who live in South Park. We have until Spring to decide so will keep visiting and doing our research. I love all of the responses, Thank you everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 05:52 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,158,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
I used to go down that road all the time back when I had a friend who lived in Westwood who had no car. He has a car now. Now he meets us at the Greene.

The only reason I've had since to visit the Wright Dunbar district is if I'm passing through West Third on my way to LKQ, the junkyard at the corner of Gettysburg and James McGee. My car is supercharged. It's fun to hear the blower whine echo down that empty road at night with the buildings on both sides when I step on it
Yeah, Westwood isn't pretty. Not a safe neighborhood - good thing your friends meets you now haha.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOK123 View Post
It is a little hard to leave Cincinnati. We spend a lot of time in the city especially OTR...I guess bc I live in a city that has made a ton of positive changes it gives me hope that Dayton can someday do the same?! I do understand the difference in opinions. I know plenty of people who still won't step foot in OTR. I am there every week w my family. Just different styles/opinions.

There's something about Historic South Park that we keep leaning towards. Have driven up twice this week and both times ended up there! Would love to talk to parents who live in South Park. We have until Spring to decide so will keep visiting and doing our research. I love all of the responses, Thank you everyone!
Yeah, I have hope Dayton can make positive changes too. Because the city has made a ton of great changes in recent years. It's getting to be a really nice place to live, and IMO it has a lot over the other cities/suburbs in the county and region. So it's definitely a difference in perspective, as you said.

And I'm glad you like South Park! It's probably the most active neighborhood in the city. I don't know if you have checked them out yet, but the neighborhood has a nice website and a Facebook page too. They post events there, like their recent food truck rally and other events (like I think they had a street fair on Park Ave).

Good luck!

Old 10-16-2014, 11:54 AM

5 posts, read 7,722 times
Yes, I am on their websites daily!

My next question is, are there any other good schools in the city I should look into(private or public)? I have St. Anthony's and Dayton Christian on my list to tour-I only know those from Google. We will need preschool and Kindergarten for Fall 2015.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:21 PM

This is the best I could find. I don't know anything about it personally, but it's right in South Park. Had to rely on my favorite website [/sarcasm] greatschools.com for this info. But I'll do some deeper diving once I'm at a computer:

Emerson Academy - Dayton, Ohio - OH - School overview

Old 10-16-2014, 12:32 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
The Bombeck Family Learning Center at the Univ. of Dayton is probably the best pre school in the city.

https://www.udayton.edu/education/ce...er/index.php#1

St. Anthony has a preschool, as well as being K-8.

Holy Angels School is adjacent to/inside UD's campus; it has a symbiotic relationship with the university, but it is not part of the university. I don't know why I didn't think of them before; certainly worth taking a look at.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:02 AM

72 posts, read 105,124 times
We are new to the area and while it's not right in the city I would recommend you tour the Miami Valley School. They have preschool 3 to Grade 12. Our preschooler started there this year and we have been incredibly impressed.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:21 AM

^Great rec meggoo. And hope all is going well!

I didn't realize the Miami Valley School was anything beyond a HS, so very good to know.
MVS is the best school in the area academically. I'd argue it even has Oakwood beat. Every year they take out a full-page ad in the DDN to show where their graduates are going to college, just to give you an idea. Many of them go to the Ivy leagues, top liberal arts colleges, and top research universities like MIT, Stanford, Caltech, etc.

Also, here's the state report card for Emerson Academy. Not too good, but then again I still don't know how this thing is calculated:
http://reportcard.education.ohio.gov...hoolIRN=000577

Parents seem to like the school a lot though:
https://www.facebook.com/EmersonAcademyofDayton

So I don't know what is up. Hoping someone out there can elaborate.

Last edited by SWOH; 10-17-2014 at 09:29 AM..

Old 10-17-2014, 12:44 PM

430 posts, read 593,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOK123 View Post
Yes, I am on their websites daily!

My next question is, are there any other good schools in the city I should look into(private or public)? I have St. Anthony's and Dayton Christian on my list to tour-I only know those from Google. We will need preschool and Kindergarten for Fall 2015.
River's Edge Montessori. It even has a preschool. Welcome to River's Edge Montessori!

Old 10-23-2014, 06:24 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,886 times
Quote:

It is a little hard to leave Cincinnati. We spend a lot of time in the city
especially OTR...I guess bc I live in a city that has made a ton of positive
changes it gives me hope that Dayton can someday do the same?!
You will see some limited things (they are already happening) in terms of urban housing, but Dayton doesn't have enough of an economy to really support the magnitude of urban living you are seeing in Cincy, aside from the anti-city cultural attitudes that ultimately put the kibosh on stuff taking off here.

Hah...hah...You might still be spending a lot of time in OTR!? It's about 45 minutes away from the south suburbs of Dayton, so OK for a Saturday jaunt (I like going to Findlay Market down there).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton