Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 10:18 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,848,091 times

Advertisements

The other four letter word that doesn't make it past C-D's blooper mechanism, apparently. My experience is with current students and now some recent graduates (in the past couple years). The school is notable for a corner outside, out of the line of sight of most people, where students are known for having sex with each other in.

To be fair, Beavercreek has "Fagason" and "Skankeney", so no school district is immune from names
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 05:45 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,701,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmeck View Post
All of the suburbs you have mentioned are exactly the areas I would recommend to you as well. My husband and I grew up in Centerville, and ultimately ended up in Bellbrook when his career took us back to WPAFB for a few years but we would have been happy in any of the areas you're talking about. ...
Indeed, so many of my Area-B colleagues have gravitated towards Bellbrook. Some started in less affluent enclaves, such as Kettering or Huber Heights. Others first settled in more outlying areas like Springboro or New Carlisle. Bellbrook and its unincorporated environs seem to be the most popular nexus of settlement amongst family-oriented WPAFB professionals.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:48 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,082,854 times
Bellbrook would be good, but the commute would be creeping up from most of its locations. Getting on and off at Wilmington Pike can be a chore already, let alone when Costco and Kroger Marketplace are opened. Still, that aside a great area. Just hard to find a home there since stock is always so limited. And anything new will be way outside $250K.

Still, as was mentioned, pretty much any area (Beavercreek, Bellbrook, Centerville, Miami Township, Washington Township, Sugarcreek Township, Kettering and Beavercreek Township) will have 60's/70's era ranches, split levels and tri-levels as your primary home of choice.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:50 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,082,854 times
And I hate childish, teenagerish "nick-names." It is something that should be left back in high school. As was mentioned, everywhere has 'em. So there's really no point to bringing them up, unless there is hard facts to back it.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:23 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,300,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaeff23 View Post
Curious, what is
"The kids don't call Fairmont "****mont"
would like to know what the asterisks are. Know many people who went there and have never heard anything deregatory
Fairmont did have a reputation at one time of having "fairies" years ago, but I doubt that's the case now

Old 09-02-2015, 04:23 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,751,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherphotographer View Post
Fairmont did have a reputation at one time of having "fairies" years ago, but I doubt that's the case now
Wrightflyer, however, brought out an excellent point: "As was mentioned, everywhere has 'em. So there's really no point to bringing them up, unless there is hard facts to back it."

Not only everywhere has them, but probably everyone has them.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:07 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,158,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
And I hate childish, teenagerish "nick-names." It is something that should be left back in high school. As was mentioned, everywhere has 'em. So there's really no point to bringing them up, unless there is hard facts to back it.
I'll +1 too.

Every school has its nicknames, issues/non issues, etc.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:04 PM

7 posts, read 10,896 times
Thanks everybody for all the great info on the area! I now keep coming back to Beavercreek and Oakwood as our main areas to search in. Hensleya1, your map seems to match up pretty well with what I have seen regarding the older homes in Beavercreek and thanks wrightflyer for the detailed description of Beavercreek. The area south of dayton-xenia, east of north fairfield seems pretty ideal especially since it looks like there are spurs from those neighborhoods directly down to the bike path. Bellbrook also seems like it has an affordable area of older ranches south of 725.

SWOH, thanks for the specifics on the areas around Oakwood. It still seems though that the area just on the other side of Shroyer, south of Patterson Park wouldn't be somewhere I'd want to walk at night. Looks like lots of not well maintained, older apartments and even seems to have a cluster of registered sex offenders. But sounds like your opinion is I shouldn't be concerned even about that area? I ask because many of the homes in our desired price range in Oakwood would be just to the west of Shroyer.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:59 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,848,091 times
151 Saundra Court, Beavercreek, OH 45430 | Zillow

Give this house a serious look - I had a showing earlier today. This house is ready to move in today. The only problems I can foresee in the next few years is that the driveway will need to be resealed and the air conditioner looks like it's older than I am and may need replaced soon. (It worked like a champ today, though.)

Old 09-27-2015, 07:10 PM

76 posts, read 142,445 times
Let me plug Bellbrook/Sugarcreek Township. I work WPAFB Area A and its reliably 20-25 min (admittedly no inclement weather yet). Love, love the area and schools.

Small district, like Oakwood, but more flexible/less stodgy. Open to single subject acceleration and grade skips for kids who need it (both a no go in Oakwood per my discussions with one of their gifted coordinators). Housing stock is much newer than Oakwood and it's a no income tax enclave like Beavercreek (but Beavercreek has an enormous school district, much larger than Bellbrook).

It was hard to find a house here in Bellbrook--not a lot of inventory. I think I probably significantly overpaid but I don't really care. Kids are flourishing in the schools (IEP kiddo gets way more support here than in our previous location, in another state) and gifted kiddo is getting all the services I could hope for. Love our neighborhood (so friendly) and its location--close to stores yet still a semi rural feel and only five minutes (or less!) to 675. Thanks so much to all the boardies here for helping this newb out with all my questions.

PS yeah, we still don't have a fence. It's growing on me. I do like how it makes the neighborhood look.

Last edited by MilMom6; 09-27-2015 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: Punctuation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton