Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2016, 12:44 AM

211 posts, read 340,646 times

Advertisements

We recently had a deal fall apart in Troy which was a real heart breaker and we are continuing on with our home search. We've always been curious about Oakwood as it seems like it would be able to accommodate everything that my wife and I want. Primarily, I would feel comfortable living in most neighborhoods in Dayton and would choose to do so over the suburbs, but my wife wants the safe environment the burbs tend to provide. Being centrally located in the metro area is appealing to both of us. Of course, the property taxes have always turned us off. FWIW we are looking to stay around the 200k mark.

I've never had friends who live in Oakwood or any reason to be there other than I like Flyboy's and Central Perc a lot. As a result I think I have a lot of negative commentary by jealous non-Oakwoodians in my head. I know it can't all be true because much of it contradicts itself. I think I'll just list some of it out and see what you guys think:
  • Oakwood is a liberal cesspool
  • Oakwood is a conservative cesspool
  • Oakwood isn't as nice as it used to be. The property taxes are forcing people out and it will soon become just another blighted area.
  • The schools are filled with drugs and criminal activity but the rich parents cover it up
  • Oakwood is exclusive to the extent that not just anybody can buy a house there
  • Oakwood is a nanny state in which how you keep your property is dictated to you by the city
  • You won't make eye contact with anybody in Oakwood, as they are all looking down at you

Also, I just want to mention that I recently moved back from Columbus and I am so relieved. I understand why people like Columbus and that it is a good fit for many. I also am not blind to the many, many issues that Dayton and its surrounding area faces, but I still love it and its people so much. I feel like I can even see it represented on this city's board with how knowledgeable and in touch with the local history people are(shoutout to randomparent!). I love it here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 07:04 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
You will find that the residents of Oakwood cover the entire political spectrum.

You can pay the property tax or you can't. The property tax helps keep the place "nice" and ensures your property will retain a high resale value. Anyone who thinks Oakwood will become blighted is delusional.

All schools have drugs and crime. School district administrators are the driving factor is keeping things out of public view.

Of course not just anyone can buy a house there. That's the point. So what?

Living in Oakwood is like having a HOA or living in a historic district; you are more likely to be told what you can and cannot do. That is the trade off for maintaining the image, property values, and city services. You either accept it or you don't. In addition, all cities have rules about property maintenance. Oakwood happens to be small, so a small staff can easily see and address issues. The vast majority of people aren't going to have any issues because they are going to cut their grass and maintain their property without being told to do so.

The last point is just ignorant.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:52 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,847,824 times
Oakwood has far and away the highest property tax rates in the area - not only are you paying for the schools and services, but being in Montgomery County you are also subsidizing Sinclair (4.7 mills?) and the two Human Services levies (14+ mills). As a general rule you get what you pay for, but Oakwood's commercial and industrial tax base is practically nonexistent so the tax burden falls almost entirely on residents.

Add in the fact that almost no new construction happens, ever, and you have a recipe for high taxes. Expect to pay about 120 mills on a residential property (think about 3.5-4% of the property's value) annually, unless you qualify for a homestead exemption. Also don't forget about the 2.5% income tax, too.

It really depends on what you're looking for. If you want stability, a walkable neighborhood, and an engaged community, it would fit your bill. But be prepared to pay out the nose in taxes for it.

Politically, it's 50/50, you don't be truly out of place pretty much anywhere you go.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:10 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,157,496 times
^I'll +1 both of the comments above.

Good synopsis overall. In short, you get what you pay for with Oakwood, and I would not hesitate to relocate there.

Good luck!

Old 02-21-2016, 07:37 PM

20 posts, read 22,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Oakwood has far and away the highest property tax rates in the area - not only are you paying for the schools and services, but being in Montgomery County you are also subsidizing Sinclair (4.7 mills?) and the two Human Services levies (14+ mills). As a general rule you get what you pay for, but Oakwood's commercial and industrial tax base is practically nonexistent so the tax burden falls almost entirely on residents.

Add in the fact that almost no new construction happens, ever, and you have a recipe for high taxes. Expect to pay about 120 mills on a residential property (think about 3.5-4% of the property's value) annually, unless you qualify for a homestead exemption. Also don't forget about the 2.5% income tax, too.

It really depends on what you're looking for. If you want stability, a walkable neighborhood, and an engaged community, it would fit your bill. But be prepared to pay out the nose in taxes for it.

Politically, it's 50/50, you don't be truly out of place pretty much anywhere you go.
I'm questionging the "far and away" - 120 mills in Oakwood, what is Kettering right now? I haven't checked for a few years, but it was pretty close in the mid 2000's when I bought in Oakwood (and yes, we've had 2 or 3 'upgrades' since then :-) )

Old 02-21-2016, 08:37 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,847,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wi4500 View Post
I'm questionging the "far and away" - 120 mills in Oakwood, what is Kettering right now? I haven't checked for a few years, but it was pretty close in the mid 2000's when I bought in Oakwood (and yes, we've had 2 or 3 'upgrades' since then :-) )
I looked up the actual rates: http://www.mcohio.org/document_cente...able_2016_.pdf

Oakwood is 101.47 for residential and 141.02 for commercial/industrial property.

Kettering is 88.07 for residential and 99.04 for commercial/industrial.

So while not quite as big a difference as I thought, 13.4 mills on a house valued at $200,000 is probably something on the order of $1,000 a year.

Again, you get what you pay for - Oakwood goes to the trouble of shoveling your sidewalks for you.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:01 AM

211 posts, read 340,646 times
Hensleya, I did notice the shoveled sidewalks when I was walking around after our most recent little snow storm. That's pretty darned nice.

Thanks for the responses. We are now under contract for a house in Oakwood. I feel like we made a good decision.

PS: We walked around last night enjoying the good weather. We saw couples jogging, kids playing hide and go seek, piano lessons being given, and a mother helping her daughter with school work. All that stuff might sound impossibly idyllic, but it looked pretty inviting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton