Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 02:12 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times

Advertisements

NOT! Challenge to Scientific Consensus on Global Warming: Analysis Finds Hundreds of Scientists Have Published Evidence Countering Man-Made Global Warming Fears - Press Release
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 02:47 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,000,340 times
You're really going to trust a "fair, nonbiased study" done by the right-wing anti-environmentalist Hudson Institute? I'm sure the Creation Science League could come up with some "study that shows hundreds of scientists disagree with at least part of the theory of evolution," too, but that doesn't mean you should put stock in it.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:54 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times
The IPCC has already debunked the "consensus". They found that there was a 90% certainty that humans have played a role in global warming. Thats 10% certainty that humans have not played a role. And playing a role is a different story than being the main cause. So there is no consensus that humans are the main cause of global warming. Only a consensus that we have played a role, and that role is debatable.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:15 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,000,340 times
"So there is no consensus that humans are the main cause of global warming. Only a consensus that we have played a role, and that role is debatable."

Apparently not that debatable, according to the report... :

(from Wikipedia)

"WGII acknowledges some of the difficulties of attributing specific changes to human caused global warming, stating that "Limitations and gaps prevent more complete attribution of the causes of observed system responses to anthropogenic warming." but found that the agreement between observed and projected changes was 'Nevertheless ... sufficient to conclude with high confidence that anthropogenic warming over the last three decades has had a discernible influence on many physical and biological systems.' "

IPCC Fourth Assessment Report - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you don't trust wikipedia, look it up on your own time.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:27 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,367,855 times
It is all a straw man argument, they are arguing a point you never made. The majority of scientists have come to the conclusion that human activity has affected global climate changes. So the wing-nut opposition claims that they have scientific support that humans are not the primary cause. Which was never even a conclusion being made. It’s entertaining when it it happens because you cant believe there are suckers who don’t see the difference and just run with it. It also shows how blind to the data they really are.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:31 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,510,291 times
Default Sick of air Pollution

Put it this way. Even if G.W is not happening I want off fossil fuels sooner rather than later. This is because of all the childhood and adult asthma out there. Yeah I know some people on this forum are in areas where there is nice country air and you can breathe easy. But I ain't and so are a lot of others. So my stance is, I don't care if there is or if there ain't G.W. I just want to be able to go out for a run without choking on the air outside.

Article is a little dated but here you go.

Air quality in America

Old 09-12-2007, 05:03 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,239 times
A researcher in Erie, PA and confirmed by a Penn State researcher found that saltwater when subjected to a certain radio frequency is actually combustable up to 3000 degrees. The researcher is asking for federal money to try to implement this into cars and power generation. It's virtually impossible anytime in the near future to run out of salt water... *points at ocean*

The earth as dealt with CO2 buildups before, and heat management, Krakatowa, Cataclysmic meteors. I have faith that the earth will right itself.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:28 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
it's amazing how many people consider global warming to be a political issue and somehow the lunatic left wing along with SCIENTISTS are just making this stuff up! Anybody who thinks human activity hasn't impacted our world needs to pull their brains out of their rear.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:36 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
it's amazing how many people consider global warming to be a political issue and somehow the lunatic left wing along with SCIENTISTS are just making this stuff up! Anybody who thinks human activity hasn't impacted our world needs to pull their brains out of their rear.
I don't think we know enough about global warming to blame it on humans as of yet. Was it humans that caused the little ice age from the 1500-1800's?

"Mini Ice Age" May Be Coming Soon, Sea Study Warns

The thing is that the earth has a cycle. It's what has allowed plants and animals to live for millions of years. If you think that our measly race of only about 10,000 years of organization can even remotely destroy the world's billions of years of cycles and evolution, I think you are wrong.

(That dosent take away from the fact that I still push for renewable resources of energy and US derived sources to limit political liabilites and supporting unfavorable governments)

Old 09-12-2007, 06:43 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
A researcher in Erie, PA and confirmed by a Penn State researcher found that saltwater when subjected to a certain radio frequency is actually combustable up to 3000 degrees. The researcher is asking for federal money to try to implement this into cars and power generation. It's virtually impossible anytime in the near future to run out of salt water... *points at ocean*

The earth as dealt with CO2 buildups before, and heat management, Krakatowa, Cataclysmic meteors. I have faith that the earth will right itself.
Wow, I totally agree with you! This is two days in a row that I've completely agreed with someone I've never agreed with before.. and, yes I'm going a little conspiracy theorist here, when you think about the polar ice melting and the oceans rising... maybe that's Mother Natures way of turning on the neon sign and pointing at the fuel of the future..
and I'm being dead serious here.. I read about the saltwater thing earlier today and thought it sounded really interesting and your post just made a lightbulb click on.. thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
I don't think we know enough about global warming to blame it on humans as of yet. Was it humans that caused the little ice age from the 1500-1800's?

"Mini Ice Age" May Be Coming Soon, Sea Study Warns

The thing is that the earth has a cycle. It's what has allowed plants and animals to live for millions of years. If you think that our measly race of only about 10,000 years of organization can even remotely destroy the world's billions of years of cycles and evolution, I think you are wrong.

(That dosent take away from the fact that I still push for renewable resources of energy and US derived sources to limit political liabilites and supporting unfavorable governments)
and now you've got me agreeing with two posts in a row? what the fudge happened?
good post man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies