Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2009, 03:06 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,452,378 times

Advertisements

^
I think it's the local passive-agressivness coming out behind the wheel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 04:01 PM

390 posts, read 1,047,678 times
Right now it's obvious that Dayton is going to see economic viability in sectors that only a decade ago the city would have looked at as a joke to base an economy on (education, high-technology, office development, Wright-Patt, healthcare, social services) Industry and manufacturing have left Dayton for good. The worst thing people can do right now (and something I hear ALOT of people do) is discuss and wheep over an inevitable let down of industrial-based economy in Dayton, and more broadly, Ohio. People need to be discussing how they can contribute to their communities, unite but still maintain diversity, and be the place Dayton REALLY always has been (A great American city full of wonder, innovation, and motivation for a better tommorow) I think that Dayton is nowhere near death, it's just going through a change. Stop whining about what the city has done in the recent years, and start talking about the what the city can do in the future. The possibilities are endless. The only REAL change does not come from Rhine McClin or Gary Leitzell, but quite simply, the people. Those that whine are only a liability, not an asset to a better Dayton.

Last edited by nickolaseposter; 11-23-2009 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: screwed up wording

Old 11-23-2009, 04:32 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,452,378 times
^
Actually there still is a lot of manufacturing in the area, it's just not these mass employment high visibiliy places like Delphi and GM. Instead there are smaller and mid-sized companies doing manufacturing that, in aggregate, employ a lot of folks, but no one company stands out the way Delphi did.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:09 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,861,713 times
Very true, Jeffery.

Being a worker in Dayton's second largest industry, small-business tool and die, it is still a viable industry and gives Dayton a lot of status in the manufacturing world in general (think places like Caterpillar, Kraft Foods, Toyota, Cargill, and others who use our products on a regular basis).

Dayton is the second largest tool and die hub in the nation, and we worked very hard in the 90's to achieve that status. Remember, Tech town was originally "Tool Town" so that it could cater to this booming industry.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:52 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in Ohio View Post
Wow, I thought I was crazy for noticing this, too! I've told people that Columbus has the worst all-around Ohio city drivers (no offense), but that Dayton drivers do have this odd habit of blocking people from merging onto freeways. They really do stay resolutely in the right side lane and match your speed. I was almost killed merging onto 35W from 675S. I used to think it was just cluelessness until it finally dawned on me it was out of free-floating spite.

This has never happened to me anywhere else, not Washington, not even Boston. Not Cleveland, although people there have plenty of excuses to be mean. It is a local phenomenon.

Anyway, Dayton is my chosen home. I, too, look forward to better opportunities for this beautiful region and its people.
I grew up in Dayton, learned to drive there, and got my first license from the old Stop Eight Rd office.

I always thought it was funny when I was the only one on a stretch of highway, in the right lane, and then another car would get on the merge ramp. Many times the car would accelerate to the same speed I was doing, and make no move to increase or decrease speed to get in front of or behind me. They would just cruise along, I guess assuming that I had to move for them, although they had they yield sign, and I was the only car there.

I see your point--a conscientious driver would move over to allow the other car to merge...but here's my point. The person on the highway has the right of way, not the merging car. If I'm the only car on a 2 mile stretch, why should I move for that one car, when he is the one merging and shoud adjust his speed accordingly? Since I prefer to not be in accidents, I always moved. I also never accelerated to purposely block someone though, either.

I lived in Cleveland for 10 years, and don't ever remember having this problem, and lived 9 years in the Metro DC area, where everyone on the highways tries to kill everyone else. Now I'm on my second year in PA, where I've learned about an even worse merging problem...here, some stop at every yield sign, even on highways, if there is a lot of traffic or none at all! I almost rearended someone on a merge who came to a sudden stop...with no cars coming! From what I hear, that's what was taught back in the day. Wow!

Old 11-23-2009, 08:25 PM

^Yeah the "ramp-chasers" around here do drive me crazy.

I remember when I first was learning to drive, I was chased by someone on a ramp up by Sidney so bad that I (or the idiot ramp-chaser) turned the two-lane highway into a 3-lane one!!!!! I was freaked out of my mind, and slowed way down to merge behind the guy in the fast lane.

I considered commiting some serious road rage after that (being a native, as Jeffery said, we do the "passive-agressive" thing a lot, but sometimes just seeing their car overturned in a ditch would look so nice.....)

I settled for cutting them off and flicking them off instead

Old 11-24-2009, 07:12 AM

19 posts, read 48,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightermom View Post
I see your point--a conscientious driver would move over to allow the other car to merge...but here's my point. The person on the highway has the right of way, not the merging car. If I'm the only car on a 2 mile stretch, why should I move for that one car, when he is the one merging and shoud adjust his speed accordingly? Since I prefer to not be in accidents, I always moved. I also never accelerated to purposely block someone though, either.
I can understand changing lanes. I usually do that, too, because it's easiest and that way, I don't have to deal at all with the merging cars. I can also see speeding up to completely pass the whole merging deal, too.

It's the accelerating just enough to block merging that I can't excuse. It's a creepy forced game of chicken at every on-ramp, and it happens to me at least once every other month in Dayton.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:21 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,530,387 times
- GREAT to see you back, Firefightermom! Anyway, BOT:

Americans EVERYWHERE just DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT of merging onto a freeway. It's everywhere I have ever been! I see them not look into their mirror until they are at the merge point. I try to signal that they are clear to merge in front of me and they're ignoring me becuase they're on the phone. or doing what ever. I'm also afraid they will see me and suddenly stop or slow down at the last minute.

This morning, construction crews shifted NB I-75's lanes to the left so that they are right next to the SB lanes (seperated by a jersey wall). The curve is a LOT more gradual than the previous lanes, although the construction is nowhere near complete. My worry is that there are 3 lanes going into the shift but the right lane ends about halfway through the new shift. So cars will sneak past trucks on the right and bunch up at the end of the right lane, causing accidents. Especially those not familiar with the Dayton area...

Old 11-24-2009, 03:41 PM

390 posts, read 1,047,678 times
I think what I meant more was that we can't be reliant on manufacturing like we used to. Manufacturing is not going to be the biggest economic asset in the near future- healthcare, high-tech office, education, and social services will be. I personally disagree that we should stay reliant on the whole tool and die thing. We may be second best now, but in only a year we could lose it, just like alot of other things. Investing in other economic branches will be safer, stronger, and more reliable in the future.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:41 PM

^True, the days of being able to rely on one industry are long gone.

However, one concept that people don't understand is that you can't sell yourself widgets to have a healthy economy. Too much reliance on the service sector is etremely unhealthy, as no actual production is occuring to further the economy. Also, relying on the healthcare industry will only be a temporary boom that lasts until the baby boomers are gone, surely not a way to secure an economy for the next century.

Tool and Die is extremely important. Many high-tech, engineering and research jobs are spawned from this industry, and this sector allows Dayton to hold its title of having the most inventions per capita of any city in the USA. Still, Nick, we definitely need more diversified industry, but at the same time we cannot completely disown our current base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton