Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2010, 05:30 PM

6 posts, read 31,789 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are expecting to move to the area in spring of 2011 (more BRAC influx from Texas ). We had been interested in buying a new construction home in San Antonio prior to learning of hubby's pending orders. We are definitely interested in purchasing the same once we get to Dayton.

Any area, builder or neighborhood in particular you would recommend? I saw there are several builders with communities going up around the base. We have a child who will be starting kindergarten in a couple of years so schools are a consideration. We're looking for safe, clean areas with curb appeal that are convenient to shopping and within 20-30 minutes of hubby's job. Hopefully getting recommendations will help us narrow the preliminary search and maybe have something lined up by then.

Also, what is the average property tax rate for Dayton? I'm hoping it's much lower than what we were expecting to pay here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 07:27 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,457,328 times
Another tax to be concerned about is the city income tax, levied by incorporated citys and villages in Ohio. You won't find these, usually, in an unincorporated township. Beavercreek is the only suburban city in the Dayton area that does not have this tax.

Beavercreek city and the surrounding Beavercreek Township is probably what you should be looking at, or the township directly south, Sugarcreek. Parts of Sugarcreek Township are in the incorporated city of Bellbrook.

Schools for these areas are quite good, and there is new construction going on in this area, too. Its probably the eastern suburban frontier for subdivision development. A nice one, a planned community with a lot of open space and good site development (meaning the place will probably hold value due to the ameneties) is Stonehill Village

Old 02-19-2010, 05:49 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,090,692 times
Bellbrook doesn't have an income tax either, at least too my knowledge. However, Bellbrook isn't particularly large, so most of the new development there is in Sugarcreek Township anyways. What is in Bellbrook is usually a tad expensive for the area market, but maybe not for you since I don't know your housing budget. I am talking 400K+.

Just FYI though, Sugarcreek Township and Bellbrook have been talking in recent years about merging into one entity, as the City of Bellbrook. Not exactly sure where that has gone in the last year, but last I heard they were debating on a study of the idea.

Finally, Beavercreek is usually a tad cheaper in the new housing market than Bellbrook, with plat subdivisions ranging from the 150K's to large custom homes over 500K+. Schools tend to be a tad better in Sugarcreek, though both are Excellent with Distinction Schools. I'd base my choice for which community off housing price and what size school you want your child attending. Bellbrook's are smaller, while Beavercreek's are a little more overcrowded. That overcrowding problem will soon be alieveated by new school construction near Stonehill Village.

Also, both communities have high property taxes relative to most other places in the US. This however, isn't unusual for Ohio, especially a place where services/schools are usually rahter good. Sugarcreek Township's taxes are probably a little higher than Beavercreek's, but there are fewer people, so they have to draw a larger base. Also, Beavercreek has two major malls, resulting in a large sales tax and property tax base from those two establishments. Again, as of now, I know Beavercreek has no city income tax (a plus, but also why their property taxes might be higher), and Bellbrook I believe has no city income tax (again, why property taxes might be so high).

Old 02-19-2010, 02:46 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,865,764 times
Yeah, I would look heavily into each area's tax rates heavily. Sometimes, an area whose rates are perceived to be low may actually be higher than other options.

Again, new construction + WPAFB + close shopping + more conservative area (guessing from your concern with property taxes) = Beavercreek. Bellbrook places second, and Centerville third.

You could also find what you desire in the communities of Huber Heights, Vandalia, Springboro, Pheasant Ridge (Dayton/Riverside), Miamisburg, Englewood/Northmont area, Northridge/ Kenton Ridge schools by Springfield, and also some random, small, new developments are present in places like Kettering, if you want the IB program for your children

Old 02-19-2010, 07:24 PM

6 posts, read 31,789 times
Thank you for the help! We may be interested in heading further out toward a more rural area if we wind up being there for a while. But initially it does sound like Beavercreek would be a good match. We're not looking to go over 200K on price.

As far as taxes we were going to end up paying at least 2.6% (sometimes closer to 3%) in some of the areas we looked at here. I know there are places in the US with much higher rates but for where we come from we thought that was bad!

Old 02-19-2010, 07:41 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,865,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorona View Post
Thank you for the help! We may be interested in heading further out toward a more rural area if we wind up being there for a while. But initially it does sound like Beavercreek would be a good match. We're not looking to go over 200K on price.

As far as taxes we were going to end up paying at least 2.6% (sometimes closer to 3%) in some of the areas we looked at here. I know there are places in the US with much higher rates but for where we come from we thought that was bad!
Yes, but the cost of living is WAY low. Sometimes tax rates should be taken with a grain of salt.

If you're not willing to go over $200k, I would suggest on Oberer community. There are many in the area, and they seem to build higher quality than average. Parktowne in Huber Heights/Miami Co. always seems to be mentioned in the same breath as WPAFB in ads around here, places in Pheasant Ridge area or Fairborn may also be worth a closer look, as well.

The northside 'burbs generally tend to have cheaper housing for what you get, and you could even relocate to a 15 yr. old, 2500 sq. ft. house in Huber Heights Gates or Deers communities if you wish and basically satisfy your every request.

Good Luck!!!!!

Old 02-21-2010, 05:01 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,090,692 times
Seeing your budget is 200K and you want a new home, there are some possibilities.

I'd stay out of Fairborn as the schools there are rather lacking in quality. For the same model for an extra $20k-30k you can build in Beavercreek or Kettering (Madison Trails? in Greene County) over Fairborn, Riverside, and Huber Heights. The latter two aren't horrible, but just ok in terms of school quality. If having more house for the price is the plan, then they are good for a compromise. I think Pheasent Ridge was mentioned. Also, further north (north of I-70 over the Montgomery Miami County Line) there are more newer neighborhoods by Ryan and Oberer. I think Drees (a highly recommended builder as I like their communities, homes, etc) builds in Pheasent Ridge from the $180's.

Beavercreek has some smaller communities that run from the $150's to the $180's to the $200's. Most are Ryan Home communities, but they can be spotty with quality however so are many builders it seems like in today's market. Check out Spring Ridge and Hickory Ridge and possibly Wagner Trace.

The thing I don't like about Oberer is that they tend to pull out of communities before they are finished, or they hand the development off to another builder, typically Ryan. I don't know if it's financial constraints on Oberer or what, but that would bother me a little.

North Dayton suburbs, as was said, tends to be cheaper, but this is probably due to a smaller number of amenities, aka shopping. I'm not as familiar with them as with the places around the base in Huber, Fairborn, Beavercreek on south and east.

Here are some links to builders in the local market.

http://www.dreeshomes.com/ (Rather nice homes, at high end of $200k, but Huber Hieghts community might be a good fit)

My Gold Key Home - Gold Key Homes-new Home Builders, Custom Homes Dayton Ohio, Bellbrook, Centerville (Oberer, however, after reviewing their website, they have cut down drastically on their locations. What is left is in Bellbrook, Centerville, and Beavercreek and all over $250k)

RyanHomes - New Homes by Ryan Homes (Area's largest builder)

Old 02-22-2010, 04:58 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,546,411 times
To expand a little on Jeffery T's discussion about city taxes; most Ohio cities do levy an income tax (usually around 1-2%) And if you (as a civilian) work in one city and live in another, the two cities split the tax revenue. I'm not sure what the formula is though, but you won't pay more than if you lived and worked in the same city. Now if you live in a township, you won't pay a city income tax but your property taxes wll generally be higher. If your spouse is active duty military ansd you live in a township, he or she will pay no income tax on his/her military income. A civilian spouse will be taxed just like OH residents on income.

Last edited by Crew Chief; 02-22-2010 at 05:06 AM..

Old 02-24-2010, 04:25 PM

390 posts, read 1,049,220 times
Vandalia has excellent schools. Low traffic. Isn't the biggest, but isn't the smallest. Is conveniently the location of the interchange of I-70 and I-75.
Here are some neighborhoods:
Home
Millennium Fine Homes: Custom Home Builder, Dayton, Ohio (http://www.millenniumfinehomes.com/04_ourdesigns.html - broken link)
559 Ashbury Farms Dr, Vandalia OH 45377 | Homes.com
Real Estate Property in Vandalia OH 45377 | Homes.com
96 Prairie Wagon, Vandalia OH 45377 | Homes.com
http://www.directhomes.com/Property/...dalia_Oh_45377

Interested??? New Resident Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton