Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 07:23 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,168,388 times

Advertisements

I've procrastinated again (in the future this will be referred to as ketabcha's curse )....and have decided to run my errands this afternoon instead. Actually, my son who got laid off from his job due to economy and seniority, has an interview at the 7-11 on the 'other' corner of our block. Yes, we have a 7-11 on the end of each block. So, my daughter is working at one and my son may be working at the other. I guess Izzy will be set for free slushies.

Camper, once I got used to a laptop, I don't think I could go back to a full size computer. I just enjoy being able to use it while sitting on my Lazy Boy in my bedroom with my legs propped up.

Check out this cool laptop..........

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/ZootHouse/ancient-laptop.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-03-2012, 08:24 AM

12,114 posts, read 14,996,362 times
I think part of the problem ( besides the size of the keyboard) is the propping it up on my knees and having to hold my glasses so I can see the screen and the keyboard....

Besides, when there was only the desk top at least I got my exercise running back and forth from the office to the living room...

Did you ever get a cooling pad for Izzy to use?

Old 04-03-2012, 10:03 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,422,547 times
I'm with Camper in hating laptops and for the same reasons that she does.

Glory, I have so many things to set up with each new computer: printer, digital camera, Kaspersky security, Comcast Desktop Doctor, Firefox bookmarks, my documents, Earthlink email program and a gazillion emails (that I have to keep for tax/business/etc purposes) and many more.

The hardest part of setting up a new computer (for me, anyway) is setting the background colors and fonts the way I want them throughout the internet -- different fonts for different areas of the screen. It may sound silly but I've found that, for example, a gray background is easier on the eyes. That's fairly simple to do but the different fonts for different parts of the screen is hard because of the way everything is identified in computer-talk.

Life was so much easier when I got my first computer in 1996. I didnt do any internet buying, no filing of taxes, no nuttin except emails and simple surfing.

Last edited by TFW46; 04-03-2012 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: edited to add a comma :)

Old 04-03-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I'm with Camper in hating laptops and for the same reasons that she does.

Glory, I have so many things to set up with each new computer: printer, digital camera, Kaspersky security, Comcast Desktop Doctor, Firefox bookmarks, my documents, Earthlink email program and a gazillion emails (that I have to keep for tax/business/etc purposes) and many more.

The hardest part of setting up a new computer (for me, anyway) is setting the background colors and fonts the way I want them throughout the internet -- different fonts for different areas of the screen. It may sound silly but I've found that, for example, a gray background is easier on the eyes. That's fairly simple to do but the different fonts for different parts of the screen is hard because of the way everything is identified in computer-talk.

Life was so much easier when I got my first computer in 1996. I didnt do any internet buying, no filing of taxes, no nuttin except emails and simple surfing.

Sigh.... the good old days. But then we didn't have each other so I think it's a good trade off.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:34 PM

ARGHHH.

1. My computer arrived from Amazon. This was supposed to be a NEW computer -- and an expensive one (for me, anyway). It was $900+. Right away I could tell it was NOT new, but had been returned to Amazon previously. The computer box is punched-in on top, although the shipping box is in perfect condition. Then I noticed that the tape on the top edges of the computer box has been re-done. And, finally, I could see that the cellophane covering the CPU has been removed and re-done.

So I didnt even take the computer out of the box. If it was returned, there had to be a reason -- and I dont need to spend time setting it up just to find out something's wrong with it.

Amazon is very good about returns but I had to go through a lot more hassle than usual to return something this expensive.

2. I mentioned previously that I have a fraud alert on my credit accounts. It's because I tried to correct my address. One of the credit bureaus has my address as being Apartment 64. I've had this house for 32+ years and there has never been an apartment here.

My trying to correct that error resulted in their placing a fraud alert on my account with all 3 credit bureaus for the next 6 months. I didnt really care -- but yesterday I changed my electrical plan and the electric company called me this morning saying I have to fax my drivers license, SS card, passport, etc within 24 hours because of the fraud alert. I tried to do it from home and then went to two different places -- but their 3 fax numbers dont answer. They wont accept a scanned email or a FedEx Overnight Delivery or even my bringing it to them in person. it has to be faxed and they're giving me only 24 hours.

3. And finally my car is making a very strange noise...sounds like the U-joints or something in the drive-train. Not unexpected for a 14.5 year old car but it's not a convenient time. So I have to take it in tomorrow and they'll probably keep it a few days. If past experiences are any indication, I may not even get it back before the weekend.

Let me just crawl back under the covers...oh wait, I CAN do that. I dont have to go to work or set the alarm for any appointments. So good night, all!

Old 04-03-2012, 03:18 PM

And I really like my auto repair place but, when I had the car in there two weeks ago (for a full week) for the 100,000-mile checkup, I asked them to check the U-joints, drive-train, pulleys, emission system, etc.

I'm feeling a little better. My yardman just came and gave me some lame excuses about why he hasnt done a lot of work for which I paid him (overpaid him, as always) in advance. So I vented on him. I dont usually do that, even though he deserves it often. (He's a macho Spanish guy who thinks women should just be quiet and let the MAN do all the thinking -- and fast talking.)

Old 04-03-2012, 03:39 PM

22,184 posts, read 14,804,686 times
Watching CNN earlier and Praying all my Texas Friends are Safe!!

Old 04-03-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrainman View Post
Watching CNN earlier and Praying all my Texas Friends are Safe!!
That's some scary stuff. Glad it's not here again. Also hoping everyone is OK. Time for roll call?

Old 04-03-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
ARGHHH.

1. My computer arrived from Amazon. This was supposed to be a NEW computer -- and an expensive one (for me, anyway). It was $900+. Right away I could tell it was NOT new, but had been returned to Amazon previously. The computer box is punched-in on top, although the shipping box is in perfect condition. Then I noticed that the tape on the top edges of the computer box has been re-done. And, finally, I could see that the cellophane covering the CPU has been removed and re-done.

So I didnt even take the computer out of the box. If it was returned, there had to be a reason -- and I dont need to spend time setting it up just to find out something's wrong with it.

Amazon is very good about returns but I had to go through a lot more hassle than usual to return something this expensive.

2. I mentioned previously that I have a fraud alert on my credit accounts. It's because I tried to correct my address. One of the credit bureaus has my address as being Apartment 64. I've had this house for 32+ years and there has never been an apartment here.

My trying to correct that error resulted in their placing a fraud alert on my account with all 3 credit bureaus for the next 6 months. I didnt really care -- but yesterday I changed my electrical plan and the electric company called me this morning saying I have to fax my drivers license, SS card, passport, etc within 24 hours because of the fraud alert. I tried to do it from home and then went to two different places -- but their 3 fax numbers dont answer. They wont accept a scanned email or a FedEx Overnight Delivery or even my bringing it to them in person. it has to be faxed and they're giving me only 24 hours.

3. And finally my car is making a very strange noise...sounds like the U-joints or something in the drive-train. Not unexpected for a 14.5 year old car but it's not a convenient time. So I have to take it in tomorrow and they'll probably keep it a few days. If past experiences are any indication, I may not even get it back before the weekend.

Let me just crawl back under the covers...oh wait, I CAN do that. I dont have to go to work or set the alarm for any appointments. So good night, all!
So sorry about the computer thing. I hate when I'm waiting on something to come and there's something wrong with it.

Are you anywhere near this weather thats going on?

Old 04-03-2012, 06:09 PM

I'm ok but I wonder about Ketabcha. The bad weather is in the Dallas area and that's where she lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff