Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2019, 08:32 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,995,149 times

Advertisements

I can't rep anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-21-2019, 09:09 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,420,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
...I can guarantee it will rain Saturday. Hubby and i are headed to the new Ikea.
Let us find something and it will rain for sure...

I checked weather.com and there is a 50% chance of rain in your city on Saturday. Of course, weather.com is wrong 50% of the time so here's hoping for a sunny Saturday.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:20 AM

Arghhh...I turned my car a/c on yesterday while running errands. Guess what? No a/c again. I've had the car in the shop 6 times over the past 4 summers and paid a lot of money (thousands of dollars) to fix this same problem. I cant face another summer without a/c but my budget wont allow for repeated "repairs" that dont work. I think I've replaced every single part of the a/c system. I'm so depressed.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:47 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Arghhh...I turned my car a/c on yesterday while running errands. Guess what? No a/c again. I've had the car in the shop 6 times over the past 4 summers and paid a lot of money (thousands of dollars) to fix this same problem. I cant face another summer without a/c but my budget wont allow for repeated "repairs" that dont work. I think I've replaced every single part of the a/c system. I'm so depressed.
TFW, a car with "broken" a/c is out of the question in terms of keeping yourself healthy and serene. Trade it in. Bite the bullet and get something that is dependable. I suggest a Honda (even a used one). My CRV is 15 years old. I bought it new and it has only been in the shop once during the 15 years I've had it.

Yes, it is a major investment. After my house, my car is my most valuable possession when it comes to security. PLEASE go talk to a Honda dealer. I have positive feelings about your getting a good deal.

My car's name is "Irfan" which means "thankfulness" in Hindi and Arabic. Perfect name for him.

Please, go do this. Here, let me try a guilt trip: I am worried about your wellbeing. You have to have a car you can rely on.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:37 PM

I really appreciate your concern, Ketabcha. But I have to finish paying off my medical bills before I can even consider getting another car. Just the repeated taking my car in so many times for a/c repair has devastated my budget.

I dont drive much and I cant drive far, so not having a/c isnt as hard on me as it would be on others. That doesnt mean I dont hate having dripping wet hair and clothes whenever I arrive somewhere. But I'll just keep running errands and going to doctor appointments as early in the morning as possible. And I'll try not to complain.

Old 03-22-2019, 04:57 PM

Dang! Just heard the fires have started up again in Houston.

TFW I agree with the early morning appointments. I do the same thing. We're lucky I guess to be able to do that. Sometimes I can be there before the car cools off anyway.

Ketabcha think about this one... you can live in your car but you can't drive your house.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:02 PM

Hope the weather is nice for your Ikea outing, Camper!

The tank fires across town did flare back up yesterday but were quickly extinguished. Schools and businesses in that area were closed for several days, as there was a shelter-in-place order. One of the chemicals that was burning was benzene, a known carcinogen. And now those fumes have settled everywhere: on houses, grass/trees, cars and people who had to go outside or who may go outside over the weekend and maybe even in the future. Who knows how long it will stay around and how far it will dissipate? I feel so bad for everyone on that side of town -- and it may even affect my area as the wind blows it all around.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:15 PM

I belong to a forum called nextdoor.com. It’s designed for people in the neighborhood to relay information, offer items for free or for sale and discuss matters of local importance. Some of you may belong to one for your local area too.

Someone two blocks over from me posted about a sweet dog who had been abandoned when his owners moved out two months ago. He’s been staying outside at that house ever since. The neighbors have been feeding him and one posted to see if anyone would take him. His house is on the corner of one of the busiest streets in Houston. Thankfully, he wanders only around 3-4 houses on his street.

Three days ago I went over there with some canned dog food and fresh water to see I how he’d respond. I thought that, if he were as friendly as the neighbor posted, I might take him home. But he’s apparently very shy with strangers and wouldn’t come up to me. So I decided to go by there every day and feed him nice canned dog food -- to see if he’ll warm up to me.

Three days later he’s still too nervous to come up to me, but he’s standing closer to me while I put his food in the bowl. I’ve decided to continue going over there for another 7-10 days to see if he might get familiar enough with me to be relaxed enough to get in my car. I wont force him to do anything that he’s not comfortable doing. And I need to determine if he’ll be safe with Lulu, who wouldn’t be able to defend herself if necessary.

I must be crazy to even consider this. He’s not neutered and he probably has heartworm – and my budget is tight enough these days. But any dog who stays in one place, waiting for his owners to return for two months, deserves a loving, safe home.
Attached Thumbnails
Freebie chat part 3-poor-dog.jpg  

Old 03-25-2019, 05:16 PM

Awe!!!! TFW, your heart is so big and full of love. This dog is so lucky to have found a place in your life even if it doesn't work out. Please keep us posted and good luck. It would be so awesome to get a buddy for Lulu.

We have next door here too and I absolutely love it. We were out here with nothing around for so long. Now when I want to donate something I just post on there and it's usually gone in just a few minutes.

Trip to Ikea was fun but all I bought was a wooden spoon. They have some really cool stuff there but just not my style.

Old 03-26-2019, 04:03 AM

Thanks, Campie, but I dont deserve the praise. The dog is simply wonderful and my heart breaks for him to be abandoned for 2 months. I went over there every day and twice a day sometimes -- but I went twice on Sunday and he wasnt there. I even walked most of the street and then drove up and down the street very slowly, looking for him. The neighbor said she hadnt seen him at all that day.

I'm praying that someone took him in -- and that Animal Control didnt pick him up. I doubt they'd have done that because I fed him at 5:00 PM Saturday and then went over there at 9:00 AM Sunday, when he was gone.

Strange that he was there every day for 2 months and then, when I started feeding him, he disappeared. I'm just hoping that one of the homeowners who was feeding him before I showed up saw my posts on nextdoor.com about bringing him home -- and decided they wanted him for their own.

The neighbor said she'd let me know if she sees him again. And I'm going to be going over there 1-2 times a day for the next few weeks to look for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff