Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 03:48 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,868,007 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am thinking about moving to the shore area, right now I am living in Reston Va.
I have thought about the Virginia Beach area but from listening to people at this forum it would seem that it is less of a desirable area because of crime, rundown neighborhoods, traffic, jet noise etc.
I had spent the last three decades at the Jersey Shore.
So I guess that would leave me with Ocean City MD. or various beaches in Delaware, seeing how Ocean City is not that far from the Delaware beaches what are the pros and cons of each state?

I guess a little info on me is in order.
I’m 57 years old divorce male I do not have any school age children, so school systems are not a concern.
Nightlife and restaurants not a concern, a good supermarket is a plus along with basic healthcare & and a hospital for emergencies not too far away would be a plus.
I do receive a small pension from the phone co. but still have to work at least part time if not full time.
I would prefer to work for myself doing telephone work if there are enough small businesses to support it, otherwise I could just work for some type of business or store or a combo of both, needless to say telephone work pays a lot more.
Right now I am renting a room in the basement of a house in Reston Va. for me and my two dogs for $900. Including utilities, I guess I could go several more hundred in rent if I had no choice.
I would prefer a small ranch/cottage house or townhouse but would consider moving into an apartment.
While being close to the shoreline is a plus I would consider living a little ways inland if it fulfilled my needs. Thanks Ted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 06:23 AM

445 posts, read 1,436,229 times
First some local language; Jersey has a shore and Delaware has a beach.

Check Craigslist.org, but I think you'll find apartments at the Delaware beach areas in that price range. One key difference between DE and MD is taxes. Taxes by State Income taxes are about the same, but MD has a 6% sales tax/DE has none and MD Real Estate taxes are higher (affecting rents). Area services are anchored at both ends of the beach towns, Ocean City and Lewes, so anywhere along the beach you are not too far from any shopping or service.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:34 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,190,523 times
You might look into buying a used mobile home . Some people let them go really cheap . Payment on loan for home and lot rental "could" be within your budget . With this option you would not have problems with landlords and your dogs. The mobile homes in the beach areas are generally in well kept mobile home parks. NOT TRAILER PARKS.
I live outside the Lewes/Rehoboth Beach area. Hospitol would be 25 minutes away. In our area if 911 call indicates the need a paramedic unit would be dispatched with the ambulance. We have 3 major supermarkets within 10 minutes of our home.
I wouldn't say you couldn't get some phone customers. Just remember there are a lot of other semiretired phone people living/moving here also. There are many retail and hotel jobs available . Most of them are seasonal and not real high paying.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:26 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
I like Longnecker's idea.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:06 PM

445 posts, read 1,436,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I like Longnecker's idea.
Any MHP rents remain at $8k a year there? Most I know of from friends are $10k+ per year.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:21 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,190,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoll View Post
Any MHP rents remain at $8k a year there? Most I know of from friends are $10k+ per year.
You might want to do some checking on your info. I have a large corner lot in Pot Nets Bayside under $8K and taxes are really low.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:46 PM

177 posts, read 687,274 times
We pay $6000 a year in Camelot, 2 miles from the boardwalk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware