Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2013, 07:19 PM

11 posts, read 18,611 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of purchasing a summer home that we would eventually retire to in a few years. I have seen many threads about retiring to Lewes, Rehobeth, Bethany Beach and Ocean View. I never see recommendations for Fenwick Island or West Fenwick. Is there a reason why this area is not as popular as the others? Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 08:12 PM

71 posts, read 205,332 times
I imagine it has to do with the size and lack of turnover and new builds down there, but that is only a hunch. I will let some of the resident experts chime in. .

Old 09-08-2013, 08:32 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
I am a recent transplant here myself, so I am the last person that has the authority to speak on the subject but from my knowledge it is a very beautiful resort area in the summer but all but zipped up in the off season. While I love the area in the summer it would be too quiet in the off season for me. I know that rdlr and beachliz to name two, are the experts so I would certainly see what they can tell you.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:50 AM

59 posts, read 176,803 times
No expert myself, I looked around Fenwick before I settled on Lewes. It was my first choice just based on location. I wanted to get out of Ocean City where I owned a condo, but still be close enough to go to the restaurants in OC and Fenwick. There was less development there at the time so options were more limited, and the homes/condos that were close to water were much more expensive per sq. ft. than where I bought, maybe due to the proximity to Ocean City? I had the feeling the area catered more to the summer crowd with lots of rentals, and I was looking for more year round activity, or at least more year round residents, which is what I got. Also Rt. 54 traffic seemed busier than 24, even though it had been widened.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:33 AM

9,719 posts, read 14,256,523 times
Fenwick Island has always been known as a prestigious area. Prices of properties are higher than in any area along the beach (by the way it's the "beach" not the "shore" and some famous celebrities such as Dick Clark had a vacation home there. Bob Novak, Pat Buchanon, and other Washington, D.C. politicians also make (or have made) Fenwick Island their getaway, as well as some Hollywood stars. The Town of Fenwick Island runs a tight ship, allowing no loud partying or disturbing the peace. Many of their communities are gated outside the town's jurisdiction, and the tax rolls for Fenwick and Fenwick Island reveal some very interesting names and home addresses.

Last edited by rdlr; 09-09-2013 at 04:41 AM..

Old 09-09-2013, 08:30 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,910,344 times
The Fenwick area is a great place to live--we even considered it. However, we ruled it out because there weren't as many parks for us to hike/bike in or as many public places to launch our kayaks. Another possible negative could be the proximity to OC--that means you are closer to more crime and noise. I receive crime reports daily from north OC, and there's plenty of crime there year-round. I'm not sure how much of that crime trickles over to Fenwick (I don't hear of much crime in Fenwick though). And yes, housing costs more there. Also--west Fenwick (two miles inland or more, I still consider it Fenwick) has a Selbyville address even though it's nowhere near being in Selbyville....so don't let a Selbyville address or zip code fool you.

Lots of positives about living in Fenwick--nice housing developments, wonderful restaurants, cute places to shop, the Assawoman Bay, and there's even some nightlife there (we don't have much nightlife here in Ocean View). It's an attractive area. Of course, being so close to OC puts one closer to entertainment and even more restaurants and shopping. It's definitely worth taking a look at and maybe stopping in some open houses if you are interested in that area.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:46 AM

11 posts, read 18,611 times
Thank you for all the replies! I appreciate everyone's insight which has been very helpful. A community called the Refuge at Dirickson Creek appealed to us. The address is Selbyville, but I guess it is still considered West Fenwick. We will continue to look around Fenwick. I'm just glad to know that there isn't a huge negative about the area that we didn't know about.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:36 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,910,344 times
I am familiar with the Refuge at Dirickson creek; it's a really nice development. Good luck!

Old 09-09-2013, 01:43 PM

8,628 posts, read 9,131,406 times
My wife and I are also considering Delaware. Some posts referred Fenwick real estate as being high for several reasons and one being closer to OC. If that is the case then why is Ocean Pines more affordable? I do realize the Pines are not ocean front.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:35 AM

59 posts, read 176,803 times
Jmking, that's a hard one. I was a property owner in North Ocean City for years, almost on the DE line, and the realtors told me North OC was much more desirable than south. Commanded higher prices. The further north you got, the higher the prices; Fenwick, Bethany, Rehoboth....Properties were newer, modern and not as congested like the lower numbered streets. Ocean Pines is south and west of OC, more inland than Fenwick. It is getting older now and, my impression is, they are smaller and have fewer amenities than the new home communities in Sussex Co., DE. There may be newer parts of Ocean Pines of which I am not aware. There is a new golf course community in West OC that I think is pretty pricey.
I looked at the Refuge at Dirickson Creek. I just wished I could have afforded it! But in the end I got a great house, for a great price, half acre lot, fairly low HOA fee in walking distance from Rehoboth Bay, so I am happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware