Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 7,672 times

Advertisements

Just this weekend we went to Bower's beach after sitting in traffic forever while heading for Cape Henlopin (which I recommend going there). There is a free parking lot a block away. It looked like a nice little fishing village. The beach was pebbly and shelly. The water was very warm and yes there was horse shoe crab shells, but it is the beach. If you go to an unused beach expect it to have debris. There was 10 other people there, and it was very beautiful and quiet. 4 people were swimming and I even ventured up to my waist. If it's peace and quiet you want it's very nice. If it's shopping, crowds and sitting in traffic you want keep going south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 03:47 PM

903 posts, read 3,505,869 times
Thanks for the current report on Bowers, marcv7! We were heading out to the beach this afternoon, and a storm blew through. Perhaps we WILL wander over to Bowers one day this week... its a short ride from where we live.

We've also heard Cape Henelopen is wonderful, especially for nature walks. We've only been to Lewes, and Rehobeth, both off season. We have friends who live outside of Milton who thoroughly enjoy Cape Henelopen; I believe there is a pretty large state park right there... with camping facilities, etc.

Mary

Old 10-03-2008, 07:14 AM

45 posts, read 93,461 times
Smile Bowers Beach is Wonderful

I bought a home there this summer of 2008. I love the quiet beach, J.P.'s Wharf and the Bayview Tavern. Lots of parking near the fishing boats, a couple of docks that the public can use. It also has tackle shops for bait and accessories. I don't mind the beach getting mucky at times. That is to be expected, but overall, it is a beautiful site when the crabs are done migrating. There is beach access and it also has a free parking lot near it. The people are friendly and helpful. It is a great place to take a beach umbrella, sit on the beach and enjoy.

Other beaches are nearby and when I want to venture out and be around people, I go south.

I guess you know I already love DE.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:16 PM

903 posts, read 3,505,869 times
Glad to see this topic come back to life! My son's scout troop had beach clean up a few weeks ago at Bowers; gave me a chance to check out the area a little better. Yes, the beach strip is small/short. But it DOES depend on what you are looking for.

I was quite impressed with the quiet there at Bowers. The scout event was a Saturday morning, and the weather was beautiful! Yet there were very few people there, even at 11 a.m.! My kind of beach! But then again, I grew up at Va Beach, and have had my fill of bodies packed head to toe and end to end on the sand. Not to mention, if I never see another too tall hotel on the waterfront, etc. associated with coastal resort strips, I would be happy.

And as for the horeshoe crabs, we brought home 2 very large ones that were washed up there at Bowers. I had never seen them so big!

Mary

P.S. Enolihi... glad you are enjoying your new home! And welcome to DE! We love it too!

Old 06-08-2009, 07:26 PM

2 posts, read 13,672 times
I have lived here my entire life. And am also a capt with the Bowers Fire Co. Our town hasn't always had debris on it dead horseshoe crabs yes but your gonna have that at a beach where the county and state don't care about. Now out on the Beach front i can tell you that most of the trash is not from the locals its from visitors who do not like using a trash can. All the locals that go to the beach usually go to the south side of the beach on the murderkill river also known as the "crick" to the locals. But to add when i was a little kid the beach was dredged one time and it was nice for awhile till erosion hit but now the state only ever wants to spend money on the big name beaches and does not care about the small town beaches that are rich in history.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:10 AM

392 posts, read 991,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowers Fire Capt. View Post
I have lived here my All the locals that go to the beach usually go to the south side of the beach on the murderkill river also known as the "crick" to the locals.
Where is this beach located? Is it the road to South Bower's. New here and would love a nice close beach.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:02 PM

699 posts, read 2,895,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enolihi View Post
I bought a home there this summer of 2008. I love the quiet beach, J.P.'s Wharf and the Bayview Tavern. Lots of parking near the fishing boats, a couple of docks that the public can use. It also has tackle shops for bait and accessories. I don't mind the beach getting mucky at times. That is to be expected, but overall, it is a beautiful site when the crabs are done migrating. There is beach access and it also has a free parking lot near it. The people are friendly and helpful. It is a great place to take a beach umbrella, sit on the beach and enjoy.

Other beaches are nearby and when I want to venture out and be around people, I go south.

I guess you know I already love DE.
We visited JPs on Friday night. Some flooding in the streets, the tide was extremely high and the current was really swift. Is this a common occurrence there. Also huge earth mover right near the beach entrance. What's going on there anybody know?

Old 06-23-2009, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 13,672 times
Bowers is a Different town from South Bowers. South Bowers you take thompsonville rd down to south bowers beach rd. bowers is off Bowers Beach Rd and there probably finally replacing the sand dunes that were wiped out during the mothers day storm of 2008

Old 06-23-2009, 12:01 PM

392 posts, read 991,008 times
Default North Bowers

I know where both are. Been to JP's and have walked on the beach and gone in the water. I just thought there might be a better beach in South Bowers that you were talking about. At the North Bowers beach I found the water very sticky and lots of deep holes when wading in the water. Couldn't wait to get home and take a shower.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:59 PM

699 posts, read 2,895,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleM View Post
I know where both are. Been to JP's and have walked on the beach and gone in the water. I just thought there might be a better beach in South Bowers that you were talking about. At the North Bowers beach I found the water very sticky and lots of deep holes when wading in the water. Couldn't wait to get home and take a shower.
Hi Carole M, I surely know what you mean about the water. I may walk along the edge and pick up some rocks along the way but never had any desire to swim there. Some do but not for me. I'll go sometimes and just sit with a book or take a walk when I need to feel the sand through my toes. It is really peaceful.

Glad to know of someone who lives in Little Heaven. My husband calls where we live in Magnolia, BIG heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware