Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 04:12 AM

392 posts, read 990,657 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=2]That was the first and last time I’ll ever go in that water again. Besides that it’s a long walk from the parking lot to the beach which I can’t do any long walks anymore. I always get a laugh when I tell people I live in Little Heaven.
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 03:53 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,904,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryCh View Post
Hi PA,

What a great, all around description. My kids and I have only ventured over to Bowers once, and it was last fall. I wasn't too sure of much public access to the beach itself, so we did not actually explore this little pocket of the DE Bay.

Perhaps we'll wander down to Bowers again this week; its very near us too and I would much prefer the quiet. Thanks for the description... and have a great day!

Mary
I love the look and feel of the old beaches - I grew up along Lake Erie in Buffalo and spent lots of summers in old Thunder Bay Ontario..delish!

Old 07-08-2009, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcv7 View Post
Just this weekend we went to Bower's beach after sitting in traffic forever while heading for Cape Henlopin (which I recommend going there). There is a free parking lot a block away. It looked like a nice little fishing village. The beach was pebbly and shelly. The water was very warm and yes there was horse shoe crab shells, but it is the beach. If you go to an unused beach expect it to have debris. There was 10 other people there, and it was very beautiful and quiet. 4 people were swimming and I even ventured up to my waist. If it's peace and quiet you want it's very nice. If it's shopping, crowds and sitting in traffic you want keep going south.
what exactly are horse shoe crab shells? Are there blue claw crab in the Delaware area? I used to eat these when I lived in Wash DC...yum!

Also -does this area look at all like around easton md?

Thanks!

Old 07-08-2009, 12:28 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Google Image Result for http://beachchairscientist.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/horseshoe-crab.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
what exactly are horse shoe crab shells? Are there blue claw crab in the Delaware area? I used to eat these when I lived in Wash DC...yum!

Also -does this area look at all like around easton md?

Thanks!

Old 07-09-2009, 06:59 PM

hey thanks....that is one ugly little critter...pass the old bay seasoning..NOT!!

Old 07-11-2009, 04:59 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,187,858 times
Serendipity, from tonight's NPR All Things Considered. 7 1/2 minutes Read, listen or download the podcast.

Horseshoe Crabs Pile Up For Night Of Whoopee : NPR
by Louisa Jonas

Horseshoe Crab History, Biology, Research and Conservation
University of Delaware

Old 07-12-2009, 05:28 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
When I was growing up in Milford we would sometimes go over to Slaughter Beach and spend a couple of hours turning over horseshoe crabs that had gotten stuck upside down. I always thought they were pretty cool as long as I could see them. I never swam much at Slaughter Beach because I didn't want to accidentally run into one of those big things in the water.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:15 PM

4 posts, read 17,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
I was not impressed with Bowers beach. It was dirty and the homes were shabby in my opinion.
Bowers in 10 mins from my home and I thought......great, a beach close to walk on but no thanks. The debris was all over and dead horse shoe crabs too. blah.

I've lived in Bowers since I was born and now 56, before you make opinions maybe u shouls spent some time there.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:18 PM

4 posts, read 17,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleM View Post
Hello debbiekr,
Some of us posted our opinions of the beaches, such as Bowers, Slaughter, Broadkill. My opinion was that Bower's Beach was not good at all. Go into the Delaware-Off-Topic and you can read our posts from approx a month ago.

you people shouldn't stick your nose up at bowers !!!!!!!!!!!!11

Old 10-03-2009, 05:46 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,420,365 times
JGresch,
Relax and don't take things personally, this is a forum and people are allowed to give their opinions, no one's going to agree or disagree w/ everyone 100% of the time whether it's on a forum, in every day life or anywhere else, personally I'd rather hear the bad and good before taking a big trip and finding something wasn't what I expected than to get there and find out later. There's nothing wrong w/ opinions, in the end you have to make your own decision anyway but better to make an informed decision than uninformed, there's 2 sides to every story (and oftentimes a 3rd side)

Last edited by Honeycrisp; 10-03-2009 at 06:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware