Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 09:23 AM

122 posts, read 479,729 times

Advertisements

Was in Lewes over the weekend and saw an advertisement for Five Points. Looks pretty and like that you can walk to stores and restaurants.
Would appreciate any information from people that live in the area. Is it worthwhile looking into for a possible relocation?
Is the area safe? Looked like there was some sort of business in the back loading gravel/dirt?
Would prefer to live in walking distance of Lewes Second ST but now sure what houses run in the area. Any information would be helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 10:09 AM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl3624 View Post
Was in Lewes over the weekend and saw an advertisement for Five Points. Looks pretty and like that you can walk to stores and restaurants.
Would appreciate any information from people that live in the area. Is it worthwhile looking into for a possible relocation?
Is the area safe? Looked like there was some sort of business in the back loading gravel/dirt?
Would prefer to live in walking distance of Lewes Second ST but now sure what houses run in the area. Any information would be helpful!
Are you speaking of Five Points Condos? There are tons of properties for sale in that busy area and lots of commercial development. Don't know what you mean by 'safe'. Petty theft is everywhere.You'll have to elaborate in regard to your definition of "safe". Maybe where you live now, would be considered "safer". Checking the crime maps on-line might help you. It's all relative.

Second Street in Lewes is a great place to be, and people pay to be there. One single family detached home on that street sold last year for over a million, and right now there's another home listed at $995,000. So, Second Street in Lewes, and the developments around Five Points are not even comparable.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:10 AM

49 posts, read 140,141 times
I'm sure the "natives" can give you a lot more info, but I've spent some time in and around 5 Points. I thought it was very nice for people that want the "busy" part of Rt 1. Keep in mind its right on the corner of Rt 1 and Rt 9/Savannah Rd so you're right in the heart of the busy part of Lewes or just the beginning of the stretch of "Strip" that Rt 1 is from Lewes through Rehoboth and onto Dewey. Tons of restaurants, but I wouldn't recommend walking. You'll get ran over. Reminds me of a piece of Ft Lauderdale. Spent an enjoyable Sunday afternoon at the Green Turtle in 5 points watching football. Friendly staff and crowd.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:20 AM

388 posts, read 998,629 times
On your next trip to Lewes, you may want to consider staying at the Village of Five Points to check things out. In January when we were looking for temporary lodging while our home was being built, we had several options in the Five Points community, many houses up for rent. It is nice having restaurants, groceries, a gym, etc within walking distance. It is on the busy start to Lewes proper, not noisy, but lots of traffic. Would not suggest walking to Second Street from there! Glance through the listings of vrbo.com (vacation rentals by owner) for any places you might like to rent. Its location suggests to me easy in/easy out of the Lewes area but none of the charm of downtown Lewes. Homes there are very attractive from the outside, however.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:35 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,912,094 times
I used to live in Lewes and it's very safe, but keep your stuff locked up and out of sight (theft due to drug activity). Five Points condos are nice and they're close to many places--lots to do and see. It's not considered a "bad area". However, there are many renters there and I know for sure that some owners are renting to people with extensive criminal records. My husband informed me of this; he works in law enforcement. So, be sure to check out who's around you.

Definitely check the place out before making a final decision. You don't want to be stuck near some person who has a past that may follow him/her.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:50 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
Not exactly sure what you are looking at 5 Points for years has referred to the very busy intersection of Rts 9 & 1. I am sure anything being built near there could associate itself with that name. Living in the general area I would avoid 5 Points on a summer weekend if at all possible due to very heavy traffic. You surely do not want to walk or bike in that area. In the general area there is a lot of petty thefts of property and burglary of vacant vacation homes but nothing to make me feel unsafe. You would be in the unincorporated area which means you would not receive Lewes town services including police. State Police are excellent but not always in your neighborhood.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:35 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,637 times
Jerseygirl,
Are you looking to buy or rent? What is your budget for either?

5 points condos are East of route 1 just off of Savannah Road and they are within a few hundred yards of a grocery store and a little shopping center - and you don't even have to go out on route one to get to the shopping center!

I am not sure why others don't consider the area walkable. It is 3 1/2 miles on Savannah Road to downtown Lewes from 5 points - but, since the speed is pretty much restricted to 25 miles per hour I consider that walkable ( 3 1/2 miles to me is an easy walk when everything is so flat - but, maybe that is just my idea of a nice walk). Also, if you like to bike, there is a 7 1/2 mile bike path from Lewes to Rehoboth which keeps you off of route 1.

If you are looking to rent or buy in downtown Lewes the prices go up - way up to be able to walk to the beach within 5 minutes.

I have checked out several condo communities in the area because I intend to retire in the Lewes area in 32 months. If I know what you are looking for I can give you my impressions of the various communities I have checked out. I have a favorite, but, it is because it meets my specific requirements and those requirements may not be the same as yours.

There are several communities I crossed off my list because they are two story and I want wheelchair accessible - but, if that is not an issue or if you don't mind a townhouse instead of a condo you might want to consider them.

So, price range? How much space etc. and maybe I can suggest a few places you might want to check out.

Mary2014

Old 05-23-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Not exactly sure what you are looking at 5 Points for years has referred to the very busy intersection of Rts 9 & 1. I am sure anything being built near there could associate itself with that name. Living in the general area I would avoid 5 Points on a summer weekend if at all possible due to very heavy traffic. You surely do not want to walk or bike in that area. In the general area there is a lot of petty thefts of property and burglary of vacant vacation homes but nothing to make me feel unsafe. You would be in the unincorporated area which means you would not receive Lewes town services including police. State Police are excellent but not always in your neighborhood.
Longnecker - I went down to work today, and will Tuesday and Wednesday. After that, forget it! I want no parts of that Memorial Day traffic jam, which we know is only the beginning. I almost hit some people today, as they ran across all those lanes on Coastal Highway to get to the east side. Geez! What are they thinking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
Definitely check the place out before making a final decision. You don't want to be stuck near some person who has a past that may follow him/her.
It's definitely not like it once was, needless to say. That comes from my source.

Last edited by rdlr; 05-23-2011 at 05:48 PM..

Old 05-24-2011, 07:24 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
Jerseygirl,
Are you looking to buy or rent? What is your budget for either?

5 points condos are East of route 1 just off of Savannah Road and they are within a few hundred yards of a grocery store and a little shopping center - and you don't even have to go out on route one to get to the shopping center!

I am not sure why others don't consider the area walkable. It is 3 1/2 miles on Savannah Road to downtown Lewes from 5 points - but, since the speed is pretty much restricted to 25 miles per hour I consider that walkable ( 3 1/2 miles to me is an easy walk when everything is so flat - but, maybe that is just my idea of a nice walk). Also, if you like to bike, there is a 7 1/2 mile bike path from Lewes to Rehoboth which keeps you off of route 1.

If you are looking to rent or buy in downtown Lewes the prices go up - way up to be able to walk to the beach within 5 minutes.

I have checked out several condo communities in the area because I intend to retire in the Lewes area in 32 months. If I know what you are looking for I can give you my impressions of the various communities I have checked out. I have a favorite, but, it is because it meets my specific requirements and those requirements may not be the same as yours.

There are several communities I crossed off my list because they are two story and I want wheelchair accessible - but, if that is not an issue or if you don't mind a townhouse instead of a condo you might want to consider them.

So, price range? How much space etc. and maybe I can suggest a few places you might want to check out.

Mary2014
Mary that would be true in a perfect world. However people drift into the shoulder and swerve there to get around someone making a left hand turn not to mention the drunks. I personally know someone who spent months in the hospital and rehab after being hit walking along one of these roads.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Mary that would be true in a perfect world. However people drift into the shoulder and swerve there to get around someone making a left hand turn not to mention the drunks. I personally know someone who spent months in the hospital and rehab after being hit walking along one of these roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
I am not sure why others don't consider the area walkable. It is 3 1/2 miles on Savannah Road to downtown Lewes from 5 points -
Mary2014
We knew a very sweet exchange student working at the beach who rode her bike to work every day in that area. So sad - she was killed biking to work. But we couldn't possibly know how dangerous that area is because we only live and work here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: