Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 10:31 AM

58 posts, read 117,694 times

Advertisements

Whats Delaware's Infrasructure like? I can see a big difference in the roads as i come in from MD. I know MD is more expensive to live in but our roads Medical system Police etc .... seem better funded. Not a put down on DE, I was just thinking about living in a 55+ place in Ocean Pines vrs say Ocean view or any of the areas close to the beach in DE. Would it make sense to pay a little more to get much more? Or are the taxes that much lower in Delaware when you retire that it makes up for the difference in infrastucture?

j
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 11:09 AM

9,739 posts, read 14,296,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimorecolt View Post
Whats Delaware's Infrasructure like? I can see a big difference in the roads as i come in from MD. I know MD is more expensive to live in but our roads Medical system Police etc .... seem better funded. Not a put down on DE, I was just thinking about living in a 55+ place in Ocean Pines vrs say Ocean view or any of the areas close to the beach in DE. Would it make sense to pay a little more to get much more? Or are the taxes that much lower in Delaware when you retire that it makes up for the difference in infrastucture?
j
I think the answers to your questions are probably relevant to what you think "expensive" is, in comparison to what you are accustomed. I'm a pretty big fan of DelDot, Delaware's police departments, and medical facilities. I'd suggest comparing individual properties (MD & DE) to help you assess the differences.
Deldot is always pretty busy working on our infrastructure.
Delaware Department of Transportation - Home

Old 09-13-2011, 11:26 AM

I did, more expesive in MD, but we also have best hospitals in the country. Someone on the thread also told me that DE uses its State police a lot more in DE ,as opposed to county police like we have here in MD. Not a slam, just like my post asked. When you retire does the difference in taxes make up for the lack of infrastrucure? It might, i don't know , maybe someone who moved from MD to DE can answer it.

j

Old 09-13-2011, 12:14 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,281,002 times
Quote:
When you retire does the difference in taxes make up for the lack of infrastrucure?
I'm a little confused. I think it depends on the value you place on infrastructure. For example, do you place enough value on driving roads you see as better maintained to pay a higher tax rate for that privilege? If you do, there's your answer. "Infrastructure" is a term that could men different things to different people. It may just be that you need to be more specific and provide a list of services you consider falling under the heading of "infrastructure" and do your cost/benefit analysis. If you have questions on some specific items on that list, some of the folks here might be able to offer insights.
Quote:
I did, more expesive in MD, but we also have best hospitals in the country.
As for medical services, DE and MD are only divided by a man-made line. Given you are comparing possible retirement sites in Worcester and Sussex Counties, you can access doctors and hospitals in either state, depending on which ones you prefer.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I did, more expesive in MD, but we also have best hospitals in the country. Someone on the thread also told me that DE uses its State police a lot more in DE ,as opposed to county police like we have here in MD. Not a slam, just like my post asked. When you retire does the difference in taxes make up for the lack of infrastrucure? It might, i don't know , maybe someone who moved from MD to DE can answer it.
j
We are a smaller rural state, much smaller than Maryland, so we have less infrastructure and super highways, basically because we don't need all that in this small state. I think you're correct in saying that someone else making the move from MD to DE could answer those questions you pose. How much is your real estate tax bill now? My county tax bill is $285.00/year for an older home on a .2 acre lot in the mid-price range - around $200,000 value. For a super-duper house county taxes could be around $2,000/year.

We have New Castle County police, but I don't believe we have Kent County or Sussex County police. We do have a number of state police troops throughout Delaware, which is only 96 miles long and between 7 miles and 42 miles wide at the widest point. I think we're well covered, although our police forces do work hard.

It's just the difference between a big state and a small state, and services one would demand. In my opinion, anyone looking for big government, a big highway department and big everything else shouldn't move here.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:17 PM

389 posts, read 798,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
It's just the difference between a big state and a small state, and services one would demand. In my opinion, anyone looking for big government, a big highway department and big everything else shouldn't move here.
Lol. Only someone from Delaware would consider Maryland a big state. I get what you're saying though.

In regards to the OP's question, I went to Bethany this year and stayed at a friend's beach house in Ocean View. I also spent a lot of time in Ocean City (about 15 minutes away) while I was down there. Obviously, nobody beats Maryland when it comes to infrastructure, but it seemed like the Delaware roads in that area were maintained fairly well. No need to worry, it definitely wasn't Pennsylvania. Honestly, Ocean View is basically Bethany and, with that being said, Bethany is much quieter, prettier, more laid back, etc. than OC. Ocean Pines is nice but I still think I would recommend Delaware if you're looking to retire in that area.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:39 PM

Thanks cool, i love annaplis baltimore area;however, can't see that the Goverrment in this state will change too soon(hope it does) so they can lower property taxes. Glad to hear that about Bethany OV.

j

Old 09-13-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks cool, i love annaplis baltimore area;however, can't see that the Goverrment in this state will change too soon(hope it does) so they can lower property taxes. Glad to hear that about Bethany OV.
j
I don't see any state Lowering property taxes. Our county assessments are very old, so they will probably reassess in the near future. You do have a beautiful state, baltimorecolt! We were over your way twice within the past month to the New Carollton Metro Station, for a ride to see the Nationals! On both trips, all the people we met were very friendly and helpful....reminded me of our trips to the south.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:54 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,920,104 times
Agree 100 percent with rdlr and drs72's posts. This statement is spot on:
Originally Posted by rdlr

However, I WILL suggest living within town limits if you want more "services", so to speak. My husband and I are planning on moving to uptown Ocean View for exactly that reason. We want town services such as city water, sewer, trash pick-up, and town policing. Of course, it costs more to live within town limits, but we don't mind.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:25 AM

Default what and where is up-town Ocean View?

Where is uptown Ocean-view?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware