Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 08:28 AM

9,729 posts, read 14,277,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
I seriously need to remember to bring my pepper spray all the time, but I do forget it sometimes.
Yes, you do!
The spray has saved me countless times. I wear it around my neck on a chain now. Hopefully, I won't trip, fall, and spray myself! LOL
Hubby wasn't so lucky recently, attacked pretty badly by a loose, pit bull (no shots, no license), and I couldn't get to my pepper spray quick enough. Besides, once he was down, there was the danger of spraying him, as well as the dog. Quite an experience!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 08:40 AM

711 posts, read 1,499,126 times
Quote:
So far, my scariest encounter in the woods has been a handful of fox sightings.
Same here, I have seen some really big foxes recently. My dog (lab) went chasing after one that had me really worried.

Also, When I was on a trail last weekend right after seeing a very big fox a giant raccoon startled the **** outta me.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:41 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,914,481 times
My husband gets on me all the time about hanging out in the woods alone and forgetting my pepper spray. I'm going to make an extra effort to remember it. And wow..sorry to hear about your husband! That's awful. Why people let their dogs run loose, I'll just never understand.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
My husband gets on me all the time about hanging out in the woods alone and forgetting my pepper spray. I'm going to make an extra effort to remember it. And wow..sorry to hear about your husband! That's awful. Why people let their dogs run loose, I'll just never understand.
Thanks, Liz. Hubby is tough and had some choice words for the animal. Hub's got some bad scars on his arms and legs.

I get my pepper spray down the street at a law enforcement store. I'm a good customer and I really do use it quite often. That incident taught me to keep it more accessible, though. If you have to fumble for it, it's too late. So, Liz, get one of those ribbon things that goes around your neck and clips to the ring on the pepper spray.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:58 AM

rdlr where was the pit bull?

Old 04-20-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendof302 View Post
rdlr where was the pit bull?
In a subdivision near Rt. 1, Dover
Me
Husband

Old 04-20-2012, 10:39 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,986,435 times
Just as coyotes have inexorably extended their range throughout North America, I wonder if cougars and black bears will stage a comeback in areas like Delaware, where they had previously been driven out. Obviously the black bear population in NJ has grown enormously in recent years. DE could get them coming in from PA and MD. Perhaps we are seeing natural selection at work, with a returning population of animals that are more adapted to foraging in close quarters with humans and living in habitat that they would not previously have favoured.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:

James420--I agree, too many fox. I have seen countless fox since moving to Ocean View. One attacked my son's friend right in Ocean View about nine years ago and he had to receive rabies shots and has some serious scarring from the attack. I've had fox look right at me and not even try to run away. One came in our backyard one day a few years ago (looking for the rabbits, most likely) and my husband felt threatened by it so he chased it with a rake. I often hear their cries at night, although now I am hearing coyote howls as well.
There really are some tuff looking foxes up here in Wilmington also....

Please don't scare me beachliz...

Old 04-26-2012, 10:43 AM

Warmer weather than usual has allowed earlier planting of soybeans. The groundhogs were ready and waiting, and i've seen plenty munching on the young plants.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,246 times
Default Cougar in Middletown, Delaware

Last Night 10/23/2012 at 0:05 AM while on my way home from work at 299 and Route 1 enterance ramp south, a cougar crossed the road in front of me, just after I entered the ramp. He then turned and went up the ramp pass my car on the left hand side. He was about 3 1/2 to 4 foot long and about 2 1/2 feet high, with a 3 foot tail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware