Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 11:32 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,994,695 times

Advertisements

Shortly after we moved to DE there was an amazing house outside of Seaford (If I recall correctly, but definitely somewhere in western Sussex) that was on the market for less than 500K. It was on about a 3 acre lot and dated to an original William Penn land grant. The house was very large and had a section built in the 18th Century, but looked mostly quite up to date and in good condition. Most of it was probably mid-19th Century and it could only be described as a country mansion. As it was outside city limits, it had a ridiculously low annual property tax, something around $500. It would have been an amazing thing to own for someone willing to live in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 12:07 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,281,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
What are the photos of? It looks rather pleasant. Thanks for posting them!!
Thanks Brava. In Post 7, the first photo is of Hearn's Pond just north of Seaford, and the second two are of the Nanticoke River (the third near Woodland just west of Seaford). I found all of these on flickr. In Post 15, I posted pictures I took of High Street in downtown Seaford last summer.

As for this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
There are some nice beautiful areas. Inner-city(?) Laurel and Seaford are rather poor areas whose housing and business areas are really run down. There is a lot of poverty.
I am less familiar with Laurel's current state. About once a month I visit family in Seaford and like to for go for walks around town. I will agree with you that much of housing the central core between High Street and Stein Highway as well that in as East Seaford is in decay. For the rest of the town, I see is a good mix of well-kept working class neighborhoods as well as some very nice upscale homes, some recently built:

Seaford, DE - Google Maps

. . . etc.

These are all in the town limits. If you know Seaford, then you know some of the nicest homes are in the forested developments outside the corporate limits such as Beaver Dam, Atlanta Circle, Devonshire, Nanticoke Acres, Rivers End, etc.:

Rivers End Drive, Seaford, DE - Google Maps
Woodland Mills Drive, Seaford, DE - Google Maps

Despite conventional wisdom, while there is indeed much more poverty there than when I was growing up, there remains quite a bit of wealth in Western Sussex.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:14 PM

9,738 posts, read 14,296,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Shortly after we moved to DE there was an amazing house outside of Seaford (If I recall correctly, but definitely somewhere in western Sussex) that was on the market for less than 500K. It was on about a 3 acre lot and dated to an original William Penn land grant. The house was very large and had a section built in the 18th Century, but looked mostly quite up to date and in good condition. Most of it was probably mid-19th Century and it could only be described as a country mansion. As it was outside city limits, it had a ridiculously low annual property tax, something around $500. It would have been an amazing thing to own for someone willing to live in that area.
Speaking of mansions in southwestern Delaware, this is absolutely one of my favorites!
The Governor Ross Mansion

Seaford Historical Society - Governor Ross Mansion & Plantation

Old 03-31-2012, 12:33 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,994,695 times
Thanks for that! We definitely shall have to go there this summer when we are next downstate.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:29 PM

Southwestern Delaware has a very interesting past. I also enjoy the history of Patty Cannon, the murderess. There's an historic home in Bethel which is unoccupied, but furnished. The huge dining room table is set for 12, and candelabras are throughout the house as if someone lives there. Patty Cannon, I'm told, had some ties with that house. I was only in there once. Now, when I drive past, I get a very eerie feeling.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:30 PM

711 posts, read 1,500,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
Crime is horrible out that way. They just busted a huge drug dealing ring out by Trap Pond which is considered a safe and quiet area. My husband was so used to hearing state police choppers flying around his house growing up that he can now tell if one is flying around our area without even looking. He graduated from Seaford high in 1994 and he said that other kids flashed gang signs at each other without consequence and carried so many guns to school that he would witness the handguns literally falling out of other kids' jackets or pockets in the hallway and bathroom.
Im not allowed to post the link but Salisbury is ranked the 22nd most dangerous city in America right now.

Just sad if you ask me, my grandmom lives there...

Old 04-19-2012, 09:59 AM

Is this the right thread to talk about Harrington?

Specifically the State Fair and redneck culture in slower lower?

Old 04-19-2012, 10:16 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,200,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendof302 View Post
Is this the right thread to talk about Harrington?

Specifically the State Fair and redneck culture in slower lower?
Why don't you start a thread about the State Fair?

Old 04-19-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Why don't you start a thread about the State Fair?
I worked for the sound company that has done all the concerts at the Delaware State Fair for the last 10 years...

I have alot of pics to post and things to talk about regarding my experience...

Old 04-19-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendof302 View Post
I worked for the sound company that has done all the concerts at the Delaware State Fair for the last 10 years...

I have alot of pics to post and things to talk about regarding my experience...
We've spent a lifetime at the Delaware State Fair, and we're rednecks.
Slept in the barns when we were kids, our children slept in the barns when they were kids, and our grandchildren now sleep in the barns - all during fair week when they show their livestock.

It started for me in 1945 when I was called from the audience to ride in a little red wagon, while some strange side-show guy pulled the wagon with fish hooks in his eye lids.
True Story
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware