Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 09:42 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarasotaBound1 View Post
I did not ask whether you believe locals or not or whether you believe a passer by.
Actually, I answered your question. I then expanded with some further assessments in my post as to why I came to my conclusion. That's the nature of forums.

Occasionally I run into a poster who seems more interested in arguing rather than adding anything useful to the topic at hand. That's when I disengage. If you keep trying, perhaps you'll find others will be happy to indulge you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 08:55 AM

30 posts, read 73,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthnut View Post
Thanks for the reply .....I was looking at a few of the coastal towns and see that there are a LOT of burgalaries etc in these towns ..... I guess it makes sense ....The more you have , the more the theives can take from you .....Jim
I live in Long Neck, which is approximately about 10 miles from Milton. Robberies are very high here near the beach area because you have alot of houses that are unoccupied during the winter, as individuals use them as vacation or summer homes only. Unfortunately this means criminals take advantage. We often have rashes of burglaries in the winter months.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy393 View Post
I have a vacation home in Milton, very desolate area of the town, Just off Rt 16. I am safe there. Sit on my porch in the summer well past midnight, door unlocked! Stay alone all the time. I LOVE MILTON! When I retire, I will NOT move from this area! There is crime EVERYWHERE. I am safe in Milton. Come on down and see for yourself! Stay in one of the bread and breakfast Inns. Spend the day driving around.................talk to people. PM me for more specific questions.
I would agree. I live in Long Neck/Millsboro and the crime here is not even comparable to what you would have in other areas of the state or country. No area is ever going to be crime free, but you certainly wouldn't be afraid anywhere I can think of in Eastern Sussex County.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:09 PM

168 posts, read 672,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenhalt View Post
I live in Long Neck, which is approximately about 10 miles from Milton. Robberies are very high here near the beach area because you have alot of houses that are unoccupied during the winter, as individuals use them as vacation or summer homes only. Unfortunately this means criminals take advantage. We often have rashes of burglaries in the winter months.
Having moved to just over the Md/De line near Sussex County several years ago, I notice that ALOT of crime here seems to be covered up or not reported to the public. I used to work in Ocean View and the same business was robbed twice in a summer and another incident was a man exposing himself across from a school. The only reason I knew about any of it was due to being friends with a local police officer. IMHO I tend to believe stats as apposed to local people. Unless they are law enforcement I find that most people tend to defend everything here, sometimes to the point of ignorance. Crime is crime. Delaware has a very high sex offender rate per capita which doesn't help. The same can be said for the MD side as well. Its not THAT riddled with crime but I do see a fair share of recent Meth houses that were busted and home invasions seem common in western Sussex County as well. Watch yourself and you'll be fine.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:13 AM

84 posts, read 119,457 times
Thank you all for your advise and info ....I appreciate the different points of view also .... I did not discount ANYTHING that ANYBODY had to say ..... In some ways it sounds like the suburbs of NY .... There is going to be higher crime in almost any area of the country ...... I had to laugh when I saw one poster talking about the speed traps ....I thought I would be leaving this behind when moving to DE .....Here in NY the police are more interested in revenue from speeding tickets than crime in the suburbs ....They are busier keeping their jobs, by ticketing those who do not wear their seat belts , and speeding , than fighting roberies and drug related crimes .... I drove from my home to my cabin which puts me on a main roadway for approx 80 miles ....There are no traffic lights , or towns that have to be slowed down for ....The speed limit ranges between 55 and 65 mph ....On one weekend going ONE WAY to my cabin , I counted 28 police on the side of the road with radar !!!.... One town could not inform all the people that were ticketed on a given weekend for them to properly appear in court .... I was told this from a friend who works in the court system .....and we wonder why the gang and drug problem is increasing ? ....I guess the gangs and drug addicts are safe , just as long as they don't speed away from the crime !!... ...Jim

Old 12-31-2012, 06:40 AM

9,723 posts, read 14,262,736 times
It's a fact that many times in Delaware, traffic stops result in arrests of drug traffickers, especially along the Rt. 13 corridor, which is a major north-south linkage route through Delaware to other states.

I read about these traffic stops all the time in our daily newspapers. Last week, there was a traffic stop near Pearsons Corner/Hartly because one headlight was out on a vehicle. The pickup truck was a traveling meth lab, and the guys were wanted. I'm 100% behind our State and Local Police and enjoy seeing traffic stops! It's our tax dollars at work, and it's for our own safety. Just abide by the laws.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:28 AM

84 posts, read 119,457 times
rdlr,
I can fully understand your position, however , there are traffic stops, and there is radar ..... Many try to claim that the police are on the side of the roads with radar for our safety .... Why are they not there when it rains , or when it snows , or in other inclement weather ? ..... I'm also sure that there are probably more police on any given day in NY with radar , than there is in the entire state of DE dealing with EVERY criminal situation .... Why do you think the majority of the people who live in DE are from NY and NJ ? .... It's not only taxes !!.... The fact that you folks from DE talk directly to your politicians , and they will loose their jobs if they don't listen to the people is what makes me want to be there more than anything !!... You don't have the money in DE that NY and NJ has .....You just can't afford the BLOATED govt. that we have here ... Good on you guys !!....People actually have to DO thier jobs !!..... What a novel approach !!.....Jim

Old 12-31-2012, 07:52 AM

9,723 posts, read 14,262,736 times
Quote:
rdlr,
I can fully understand your position, however , there are traffic stops, and there is radar ..... Many try to claim that the police are on the side of the roads with radar for our safety .... Why are they not there when it rains , or when it snows , or in other inclement weather ? ..... I'm also sure that there are probably more police on any given day in NY with radar , than there is in the entire state of DE dealing with EVERY criminal situation .... Why do you think the majority of the people who live in DE are from NY and NJ ? .... It's not only taxes !!.... The fact that you folks from DE talk directly to your politicians , and they will loose their jobs if they don't listen to the people is what makes me want to be there more than anything !!... You don't have the money in DE that NY and NJ has .....You just can't afford the BLOATED govt. that we have here ... Good on you guys !!....People actually have to DO thier jobs !!..... What a novel approach !!.....Jim
You're preaching to the choir. I've been here since dirt.....73 years. Thank goodness I was born here.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Thank you all for your advise and info ....I appreciate the different points of view also .... I did not discount ANYTHING that ANYBODY had to say ..... In some ways it sounds like the suburbs of NY .... There is going to be higher crime in almost any area of the country ...... I had to laugh when I saw one poster talking about the speed traps ....I thought I would be leaving this behind when moving to DE .....Here in NY the police are more interested in revenue from speeding tickets than crime in the suburbs ....They are busier keeping their jobs, by ticketing those who do not wear their seat belts , and speeding , than fighting roberies and drug related crimes .... I drove from my home to my cabin which puts me on a main roadway for approx 80 miles ....There are no traffic lights , or towns that have to be slowed down for ....The speed limit ranges between 55 and 65 mph ....On one weekend going ONE WAY to my cabin , I counted 28 police on the side of the road with radar !!!.... One town could not inform all the people that were ticketed on a given weekend for them to properly appear in court .... I was told this from a friend who works in the court system .....and we wonder why the gang and drug problem is increasing ? ....I guess the gangs and drug addicts are safe , just as long as they don't speed away from the crime !!... ...Jim
I have been pulled over in the state of Delaware in the 3 years we lived here more than every other state I have lived in combined.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:20 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,188,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenhalt View Post
I have been pulled over in the state of Delaware in the 3 years we lived here more than every other state I have lived in combined.
Interesting jen..We have a regular police presence here on Long Neck. Anyone that lives here should certainly be aware of them. They don't hide. In the 20 years which we have lived here I have never been stopped by DSP. Twice in small towns which is why I often warn folks to be careful of speed limits in local towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware