Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 06:16 AM

15 posts, read 62,457 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking for any information or comments about buying a home and living in the Milton area. Concerned about:
1. Water table-well water safe to drink
2. Any area health concerns.
3. Is the area safe.
4. Medical facilities.
5. Quality of builders.
6. Areas to avoid.
7. Traffic
8. Do they get a lot of snow?
Did I overlook any other major considerations.
Any advice or comments are aprreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 08:22 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,671,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobax View Post
My wife and I are looking for any information or comments about buying a home and living in the Milton area. Concerned about:
3. Is the area safe.
4. Medical facilities.
5. Quality of builders.
6. Areas to avoid.
7. Traffic
cobax........I'm a transplant living in Magnolia about a year now, so I dont' know much about Milton. Have driven though and it seems like a nice area.
A few of our posters are more familiar with Milton than I.
However, I think it is safe to say not much snow.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:36 AM

422 posts, read 1,362,355 times
I grew up just outside of Milton (about 2 miles from town). I would say that it is relatively safe. As with all areas, crime exists but generally in certain areas of town. Not a lot, if any, major/violent crimes, although it can/does happen occassionally. The town has changed a lot since I left for college 14 yrs ago. I still visit frequently from my home in Baltimore. Medical facilities-- Beebee in Lewes and Milford Memorial in Memorial are the local hospitals.. I believe most people travel to Georgetown, Milford, or Lewes for drs visits. Traffic can get a bit heavy on Route 16 and Route 1 during the summer months. Areas to avoid -- you will recognize them. Quality of builders, not sure as my parents built a house a few years ago. The contractor was Jimmy Warrington who is excellent but you often have to wait a good length of time to get him. Not sure about the companies that build houses. There are a lot of new developments that are springing up around town. Milton is a nice small town that is growing. I hope this helps.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:56 PM

9,721 posts, read 14,260,591 times
Maybe this site will get you started. Town of Milton

Milton is in demand because it's the next community close to the beach, now that Lewes, Rehoboth, and Dewey Beach are at capacity. Lots of new construction going on there, and downtown Milton is undergoing gentrification. If I was looking for a condo type property, I think Paynter's Mill is very nice, but there are lots of different types of properties to choose from, either with private wells/septics, or public utilities.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:42 PM

15 posts, read 62,457 times
Default Thank you

Thank you to all for your information.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:52 AM

19 posts, read 98,211 times
1. Water table-well water safe to drink City has upgraded water supply system last couple of years
2. Any area health concerns. Currently working through sewer system upgrade problems with new growth taking place.
3. Is the area safe. Yes - as safe/safer than anywhere else
4. Medical facilities. hmmm - not sure - Milford Hospital, Beebe in Lewes hmmmm
5. Quality of builders. nothing real bad or unusual - some quality problems related to the boom of the past few years - look for a place on the lake - or there are some relatively new houses for rent at the Cannery near the Dogfish Head Brewing Company
6. Areas to avoid. you might want to stay off of the road frontage of Route 5 - used as a bypass for people coming from Millsboro area in a hurry
7. Traffic just in the center of the town when the firehall is serving chicken & dumplings
8. Do they get a lot of snow? No once you get below Dover snow accululation is rare
Did I overlook any other major considerations. I like the Irish Eye local chain of restaurants - one in center of Milton - two Guinesses ( or Dogfish Head drafts) and you will learn everything you ever wanted to know about the real Milton.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:24 PM

7 posts, read 46,347 times
We visited yesterday, also with the idea of buyin/moving for retirement. It struck as a neat, funky little town, filed with friendly, eccentric folks.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:41 AM

5 posts, read 21,500 times
Default retiring in Milton, De

Milton is a great place to retire because its close to the beach areas without being in the heart of traffic. Quiet, but not too far from things. From what I hear, Schell Brothers is the best builder in the area. They are building a community in Milton called Heritage Creek. Wish I knew about them when I moved here.

Good luck!

Old 12-15-2008, 01:59 PM

903 posts, read 3,505,461 times
We have friends who bought a house in an established neighborhood with a Milton address. They moved to the area almost 2 years ago, and seem to love it. I have heard elsewhere that Schell Brothers is/are excellent contractors. Are you still looking?

Mary

Old 12-19-2008, 07:41 PM

2 posts, read 14,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobax View Post
3. Is the area safe.
4. Medical facilities.
5. Quality of builders.
6. Areas to avoid.
7. Traffic
Here is my reply to your overall consideration of Milton for retirement: Should you and your wife want to roll the clock back fifty-odd years to a quieter and slower-paced lifestyle then move to Milton or her environs. Our water table is high and crawls are advisable. new builders are doing basements but you never know when you might hit a water vein. Plenty of water and safe for drinking -- tasty in many parts! Subdivisions of $250,000 and up are invariably safe and Milton in particular is a safe and well-managed municipality. Small and even quaint with the two primary amenities being the theater and the historical society. Fine library and dynamite garden club and art caveats with lovely summer and Holiday house tours, horshoe crab festival and antique shows and, well, there is seldom a dull moment in Milton or neighboring towns. we are having more than our fair share of fun here in Milton, DE! very little snow. In these tough economic times, NV and Ryan are the last big builders still building. A young man named Brian Barry is builing quality homes in a development just outside Milton called Pemberton and this fellow will build what you want in the area and at a very competitive price tag. traffic is light and even in summer bcause you will learn the back ways around heavy tourist traffic paths. Shopping is great with new grocery stores in all directions and you will find that Lewes is just fifteen minutes away and Rhoboth just twenty. Dover is 35 miles north and you simply can't beat the lifestyle the area offers -- year round! Beebe Medical Center is throughout the immediate area but other facilities of increasing quality as you travel north to Dover and up to Wilmington are there for you. In truth, I can't say enough good about my decision to move to Milton two years ago. Cannery Village in Milton is an LPD. Reddenwood has the most mature trees. An in town, top-of-the-hill neighborhood called Preserve on the Broadkill (River) is prime with lots available and no builder tie-ins.

All the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware