Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 12:46 PM

199 posts, read 938,449 times

Advertisements

Shucks, Charley,
I thought ROMEO was synonymous with LOTHARIO (well, it almost rhymes).

Eliza,
Do you know if Southern Meadows owns other properties that they plan to develop into maufactured homes.? I ask because with only 94 lots, they're not going to last long. After reading all the posts on this forum, it seems to me that you have one of best land-lease deals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 12:54 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,044,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeweeaz View Post
Shucks, Charley,
Hmmmm.... LOTHARIO .... Lazy Old Turkeys Helping All Restaurant Incomes Out. I think you might be on to something ... lol.

Charley

Old 10-20-2007, 07:12 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,672,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeweeaz View Post
Shucks, Charley,

Eliza,
Do you know if Southern Meadows owns other properties that they plan to develop into maufactured homes.? I ask because with only 94 lots, they're not going to last long. After reading all the posts on this forum, it seems to me that you have one of best land-lease deals.
Hi Peeweeaz.........The owners of SM own 12 trailer parks and 3 manufactured commuities.
They have been Around for a while. One of the owners is Andy Strine. A heck of a nice guy.
This is their first 55+ community.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:17 AM

12 posts, read 51,869 times
Default Land Lease

Charley,

Since you have doing so much research, have you decided yet on land lease or ownership? We are really going back and forth with this. New to this web-site, but can't imagine what we would have done without it!!! Thanks.

Judy

Old 10-20-2007, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyLG View Post
Charley,

Since you have doing so much research, have you decided yet on land lease or ownership? We are really going back and forth with this. New to this web-site, but can't imagine what we would have done without it!!! Thanks.

Judy
we were going back and forth too and still do a little. But I have to think back as to why we did this.
We pay around $400 a year in taxes because we do not own the land. If we did own the land, it would be a lot more.
Plus
We get our grass cut every tues, we have use of a pool, clubhouse and activities included in the lot rent.
So if you average out all the fees and the tax if you owned the land, it may come out to about the same a year give or take a few bucks.
At the time we were looking, most of the manufactured home communities were land lease. So we didnt' feel we had an option.

charlie, there what are the manufacutred home communities where you own the land?

Old 10-20-2007, 07:56 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,044,320 times
Judy,

Three of the four communities we like are land lease. I am still doing some research. There is significant consumer protection in the Title 25 Delaware Code, Chapter 70. Sub-Chapter I is the "Manufactured Home Owners & Community Owners Act". It's length and I am still reading it and interpreting it into "English" as it is written in legalese. If it is the protection I think it is, then it will be helpful to me and anyone living in "Manufactured Home" communities. I know Southern Meadows is included and I think Wild Meadows is as well. I am not sure whether Nobles Pond is considered manufactured. I do have that question out to them and if not answered by the time I visit in December I will ask again.

In truth, if Nobles Pond owns the land and gains revenue from the ground rents, how likely is it that they would sell out from under us ... literally. The answer is, "I don't know - look at Pots-Nets".

I hope to know more in time and will, of course, share the information with everyone.

Charley

Old 10-29-2007, 03:35 AM

13 posts, read 89,400 times
Turns out we are not especially interested in retirement communities. Any suggestions on specific neighborhoods to consider and avoid?

Old 10-29-2007, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
Judy,

it into "English" as it is written in legalese. If it is the protection I think it is, then it will be helpful to me and anyone living in "Manufactured Home" communities. I know Southern Meadows is included and I think Wild Meadows is as well. I am not sure whether Nobles Pond is considered manufactured. I do have that question out to them and if not answered by the time I visit in December I will ask again.

In truth, if Nobles Pond owns the land and gains revenue from the ground rents, how likely is it that they would sell out from under us ... literally. The answer is, "I don't know - look at Pots-Nets".

I hope to know more in time and will, of course, share the information with everyone.

Charley
You know charley.......We went back and forth with this too. Not sure we were doing the right thing. Then finally I realized, anything can happen at anytime, anywhere.
I'm not suggesting the research is not good. Oh no!! Research away and is very good. Find all the facts to your pos and cons.
When we were looking, we were mainly looking for a reasonable and safe location.
Florida was out cuz of the canes and now I find out DE may disappear if the oceans keep rising.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:39 AM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kewpie1957 View Post
My husband and I are considering moving to Dover. We are not concerned about schools or jobs. Our priorities are low crime and quality of housing. We will spend $400K on the high end. Any honest and rational advice is greatly appreciated.
Your options are many! Just depends on your choices, which only you can narrow down.

Last edited by rdlr; 11-06-2007 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: repeated information already stated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware