Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 03:50 PM

319 posts, read 504,386 times

Advertisements

Here's some stuff to do…..

I have no affiliation with any of these. I learned about them
myself and thought they were interesting (Google search them to find out more)...

Aug 23rd, 2014- The Wilmington Burger Battle

June 19th-22nd- FireFly Music Festival, Dover

Barrel of Makers (Newark)- regular meet ups and events

Sept 6th and 7th- Brandywine Festival of the Arts

Site with all sorts of events: In Wilmington: Delaware Arts and Entertainment in Your Backyard

Also meetup.com and search for Wilmington DE

Wilmington Office of Cultural Affairs: About the Office of Cultural Affairs :: Visitors :: City of Wilmington, Delaware

Delaware SPorts League: https://www.facebook.com/DelawareSportsLeague

Delaware State Fair: Delaware State Fair

Delaware Astronomical Society

Warbirds Over Delaware: Delaware R/C Club - Warbirds Over Delaware

Blue Diamond Motocross park: BDMX Park | Blue Diamond MX Park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 06:16 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmassphd View Post
What I wonder is how quite a number of relatively small cities have been able to make it work.
off the top of my head, Fort Collins CO, Irvine CA, Northampton/Amherst MA. What is it cities/towns such
as these have?

My best guess (from seeing these places) is something to bring young people to the area and something
to keep them there.

- universities/colleges (undergrad and graduate)
- arts and entertainment venues (creative district?)
- venues, opportunities, and support for artists of all sorts
(EX: for $25 performers in Boston can get permit to play/perform in the subway system)
- supporting industry for young people to "get their start." Multiple industries
high-tech/IT, advertising, finance/investments
- business incubation (innovation district) for all sorts of businesses including
food trucks (my favourite).
- fun promotions for friendly bragging rights: best ice cream in state, best pizza in state,
best BBQ in state, best yodeller in state, weiner dog races, talent shows, etc.
- broad array of social venues
- places to gather (Jeffersonian), discuss, and enjoy a tankard or cup
- a center green? public flower garden
- sidewalks and courtyards
- perception of low crime (I've seen young mothers pushing strollers at night in some towns
to help get the baby to sleep)
- a general sense of ownership (this is my town) and care about one's city

Is it something that could be replicated in Delaware?
Actually, to your bolded question, I would say the answer is no. Delaware is a state that took its direction from the DuPont family and company for quite a while (back to the US Revolutionary War). While that influenced has diminished over the past 30 years or so, I still see it as embedded in the the state's DNA. It is, in essence: Pleasantville. Such DNA doesn't carry the gene for producing such small hipster cities, but does offer great appeal to those seeking a suburban life along with a good place to raise their families.

Of the three communities you mentioned, I've only spent time in one (Northampton/Amherst). I would assume the others are just as crunchy. So we have a chicken and egg dilemma when examining the existence of these small creative enclaves: Do these cities give rise to creative people, or do certain locales offer some implicit quality that draws in hipsters and aging hippies. I tend to believe the cycle starts with the latter and over time, success brings success. I just don't see the right factors being in place for that to develop in DE (Arden aside). Rehoboth and Lewes might appear to be likely candidates, but they are too small and there really aren't any good jobs there. Newark could be a candidate. I left UD in 1977. Going back a couple of years ago, I was impressed with the increase of Main Street's charm factor. Compared to Northampton, however, Newark falls a bit short.

Regardless - I would guess the number of young folks dreaming of locating to a granola town would be dwarfed by those preferring a more grown up urban experience post-graduation. Don't have anything to back up that claim - it's just an educated guess.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:57 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madamskinny View Post
I've been told that I did not do my research, but what research did you expect me to do? Personally, I think that if you never grew up in a rural environment no matter how much research you do you will be ill prepared.
Is it me, or do you seem increasingly angry about the decisions you made with every new post? It is not Delaware's fault that it doesn't seem to offer much of anything you find appealing. It is your fault for not doing your homework. Research prior to moving seems intuitive to me, and I'm befuddled it seems to have eluded you. It means having at least a mental checklist of the features and qualities you want in your new city and seeing if the city have these features and qualities before you move there. For example, you should have checked ahead of time so you were not surprised to find that "98.98342%" of the apartments are frumpy and outdated (by your calculation). What did you do: Arrive with your goods in a UHaul and then figure out which apartment would accomodate your furniture and your budget?

You seriously thought a town of 30,000-some people would be teeming with this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by madamskinny View Post
Walkable neighborhoods. For instance the neigborhood around the apartments in the Wilimington Riverfront area, where are the bars? Where is the nightlife? Firestone? (Last call at 12AM nearly crushed my soul the first night I heard that) But what else? Is there a Whole Foods or Traders Joes you can walk to Saturday mornings to get your groceries? Where are the establishments that a city would offer you? Heck where is the fancy/hip gym that allows you to run on a treadmill while overlooking the river/citylife? Hell where is the outdoor morning yoga sessions, that would be great in summer/spring on the weekends. Outdoor concerts, outdoor movie nights, and where is the venue for artists to come and perform?
If you really need a gym overlooking the river/city life and outdoor movies to be happy, then research means looking into that before you decide to move there.

So, if you honestly didn't know the basics before executing a move, chalk this up as life lesson. You can either get on with your life and find a city that does offer all you want, or you can continue to vent and blame Delaware for your mistake. The latter hasn't been particularly productive I would guess.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:29 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,977,716 times
The Central Y in downtown Wilmington offers a beautiful view if the cemetery that can be enjoyed from the treadmills and ellipticals. You can also see the spire of Trinity Parish Church. :-)

Old 05-23-2014, 01:16 PM

26 posts, read 39,661 times
@jm02 all I hear is blah blah blah.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:02 PM

319 posts, read 504,386 times
I was considering to use my limited hobby time to put up
an event aggregation site using Semantic Wiki Software.
The format I had in mind would most closely resemble
(albeit for more social events) wikicfp.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware