Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 06:20 PM

13,058 posts, read 18,141,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcbill View Post
Id suggest teaching your kids algebra, and calculus yourself, that way they will not be left behind with a crappy public school education.

Not a good idea. You may show your child the methods that you were taught as a child, they will most likely be different than the methods being taught by the todays teacher. Your answer may be correct, but your child will be marked wrong because the process used to derive the answer was not the method being taught.
Talk about confusion for your child! Try to unlearn that, then have to relearn the "modern" method being taught today.
How do I know, my sister is going through this with her high school aged son.
Bill

This.^^^^ This was my problem with the new math. My mom could divide a number in 3 lines. (showing her work), I had a special bracket and had to carry the remainder in the far right to show how I arrived at my answer. I actually rarely got to said answer because I was so intent on getting the drawing correct that by the time I got back to the problem at hand I forgot what the hell I was suppose to be doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 11:28 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,795,481 times
Look at school cafeterias, most people don't know that the tables in aisles and lunches in a line came from World War 2 and earlier because the government wanted its citizens ready to move into a production, manufacturing, workforce. Guess what? New schools are still getting cafeterias built the same way, and we as a country don't really make anything.

They can't even get the same education in this state and its not even close, Pastors in and around Wilmington have major influences on the northern Delaware public school system and will continue to until Wilmington gets its own school district. Btw, where did that 100 million dollar RTT funding get to? Lol. I said it when it came out, scam!

Lastly, the biggest difference between us and the Countries around the world that kick our butts in education is this, we spend years learning how to do math and science and those other Countries learn how to use it.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:33 AM

35 posts, read 57,403 times
What I don't understand and I have 2 children, who seem to do well no matter what they are being taught, is if you arrive at the right answer, how you got there can be wrong.

Everyone's brain processes numbers differently. If the child can explain how they arrived at the answer, then it should be acceptable. I don't think the coders of the IT world today process numbers like the average person.

My son learned algebra using beans at Montessori in 2-5 grades. I did not get it, but it helped him understand the process so much more clearly and gave him a definite boost rather than expecting him to conform to a non-tactical learning method.

Common Core has not impressed me and our kids have been using it in California for about 2 yrs however, they rate way above average on the state testing and did before common core, so not sure if it is good or bad.

We are moving to DE soon and I am finding this thread great insight.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:14 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,678,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
The whole point of Common Core is to help better prepare American students for college and career. Its researchers looked into the Countries that are surpassing the U.S. in terms of academics and that is what they are basing the main tenants of Common Core on.

Common Core is currently voluntary and each individual state is left with the task to develop it in the way each sees fit. There are guidelines set forth by Achieve, INC. (creators of Common Core), but really it is up to the individual state.
Well, it's not exactly voluntary when the feds attach hundreds of millions of dollars to its adoption. My state didn't even bother with properly vetting it. All they saw was the money and said, "I'm gonna get me some of that."

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Many parents and teachers are also for it.
That's more Language Arts; not math teachers

The curriculum is not mandated (yet), but is suggested by the federal government. It's a very convoluted way to approach the introduction of new concepts. They don't start simple and then progress to mastery of simple and then go on to alternative ways of learning and tie it in properly with the simple.

The biggest gripe is the horribly written standardized testing that must be implemented with it. The test questions are unnecessarily convoluted. You have PhD's who have never struggled in math writing test questions for emerging learners. Those same PhD's would not be able to do the job that the average teacher does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Some of the criticism maybe paranoia, but a lot of the criticism is legitimate. President Obama (who I supported) is not exactly a friend to public education and his daughters will not endure CC. But you hit the head with the testing. The problem in my state - besides a hugely botched rollout - is that curriculum must look like the test and the curriculum is just bad. Hopefully curriculum coordinators were able to spend the summer developing their own curriculum as my son's class was introduced to a math concept one day than tested on it the next day.
Teachers who criticize are labeled as lazy and stuck in the old ways.

Parents who criticize are labeled as having special snowflake syndrome.

Rahm Emanual, formerly the President's right hand man, has screwed over teachers royally in Chicago. In the long run, it will affect the students.

The roll out in most states has been awful. It should have started with kindergarten the first year, kindergarten and first grade the second year, and so on. Greedy states rolled it out in a haphazard way and, of course, the students are impacted the most.

Oh, and every state is interpreting the standards differently, so there is no nationwide standardization as promised. We can now expect more intervention from the federal level.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:08 PM

700 posts, read 1,821,079 times
newmassphd, I really don't under stand the Common Core Element but take a look at this. You may have seen it before but it does have a link that may or may not shed more light on this.

Appoquinimink School District
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: