Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 09:38 PM

319 posts, read 508,288 times

Advertisements

Hello,

So as I understand, Common Core Standards are being implemented in Delaware
K-12 schools. For the past year, I've been trying to get specific information about
them to no avail.

I've found info through Delaware DOE

State of Delaware - Delaware Department of Education (DDOE) - Home

while my child is only 3, I am curious as to what at common core entails.

Every source I read discusses common core goals and what's wrong with the,
so called, old way of teaching subject material for English and Math. Some
even give high level examples.

I've been trying to find example syllabi as well as a video or open-house
were one can actually see what is taught.

I am finding a very difficult time finding such information. All of the
examples sound exactly what I learned back in the stone age.

Can anyone offer pointers or know of an open public opportunity to
see, sit in, or otherwise view material taught using common core.

I remember reading in the past 6 months that there was a session held
in Delaware to see a class session using it, but unfortunately it was
open only to teachers and administrators.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 01:44 PM

92 posts, read 237,422 times
You may be better off finding a teacher or principal to tell you exactly what common core is. My brother is a teacher and says that it's nothing more than making education standard everywhere. For example if your child was in geometry in a Delaware school but your family moved to West Virginia you should still be learning what you were learning in Delaware. I'm not exactly sure though.

Try using the link attached
A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums - Teacher discussion forums to chat and interact with other educators - Share ideas, inspiration, and have fun!

Old 08-04-2014, 08:41 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,407,121 times
I agree with the above poster, but there is a lot wrong with common core. Many many people parents and teachers are opposed to it. Read up about it, only alternative is homeschool, or private school.(for now)

Old 08-04-2014, 10:10 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,313,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromMilwaukeeInSeattle View Post
You may be better off finding a teacher or principal to tell you exactly what common core is. My brother is a teacher and says that it's nothing more than making education standard everywhere. For example if your child was in geometry in a Delaware school but your family moved to West Virginia you should still be learning what you were learning in Delaware. I'm not exactly sure though.
The whole point of Common Core is to help better prepare American students for college and career. Its researchers looked into the Countries that are surpassing the U.S. in terms of academics and that is what they are basing the main tenants of Common Core on.

Common Core is currently voluntary and each individual state is left with the task to develop it in the way each sees fit. There are guidelines set forth by Achieve, INC. (creators of Common Core), but really it is up to the individual state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
I agree with the above poster, but there is a lot wrong with common core. Many many people parents and teachers are opposed to it. Read up about it, only alternative is homeschool, or private school.(for now)
For what it is worth the early adopters of Common Core did it when, two years ago? It is way too early to tell if there is anything wrong with it or not.

Many parents and teachers are also for it.

Only time will tell.

Have you ever looked into private school education? They are already learning the same stuff that Common Core wants everyone to learn.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:37 AM

201 posts, read 415,847 times
Delaware was an early adopter of Common Core, as our governor was one of the ones who was among the earliest backers of it; he and (I think) Georgia's governor worked together to encourage other states to adopt it. The advantage is that from what I can tell from friends in other states, implementation has gone much more smoothly in Delaware than in other states.

Common Core refers to the standards; the states choose the curriculum to meet the standards. I was impressed by what was happening in my son's kindergarten class last year -- by the end of the year, they were doing addition and subtraction up to 10, had 70 sight words, were able to tell the difference between fiction and nonfiction, used Venn diagrams to compare and contrast two different stories with similar subject matter, and even wrote a five-sentence research paper. Was every student successful at all of these? No, but I volunteered weekly in the classroom, and I'd say the majority were able to do most of those enthusiastically. They still had time for art projects, recess, and music and PE each twice per week.

I find a lot of the criticism of Common Core to be rather paranoid and misinformed about a lot of things. Many seem to be using it as yet another outlet to criticize President Obama and seem unaware that Common Core's foundations were during the Bush administration. That said, I am not a fan of the increased testing that has sprung up around Common Core, but recognize that the testing is separate from the standards themselves.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:51 AM

13,070 posts, read 18,292,719 times
As an old fogie, who got screwed up with the "new Math" back in the 60's, I see this as the latest generation of a program meant to help that invariably hurts. I liken it to the "No Child Left Behind" program. In theory it seems like a no brainer but the money to implement this program was not part of the equation and the school districts had to bear the expense to comply. I predict the Core Curriculum will also suffer the same fate. I whole heartedly agree with both of these programs, but the implementation of the program is where the train falls off the tracks.
It will do little to no good for one district to be following the CC and another not. The entire purpose was to help students who moved from one school to another to be on the same page essentially. We are a very mobile society today and often times parents move across the coast for a job and the kids are often caught in vast hole called education.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:19 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,640,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin730 View Post
Delaware was an early adopter of Common Core, as our governor was one of the ones who was among the earliest backers of it; he and (I think) Georgia's governor worked together to encourage other states to adopt it. The advantage is that from what I can tell from friends in other states, implementation has gone much more smoothly in Delaware than in other states.

Common Core refers to the standards; the states choose the curriculum to meet the standards. I was impressed by what was happening in my son's kindergarten class last year -- by the end of the year, they were doing addition and subtraction up to 10, had 70 sight words, were able to tell the difference between fiction and nonfiction, used Venn diagrams to compare and contrast two different stories with similar subject matter, and even wrote a five-sentence research paper. Was every student successful at all of these? No, but I volunteered weekly in the classroom, and I'd say the majority were able to do most of those enthusiastically. They still had time for art projects, recess, and music and PE each twice per week.

I find a lot of the criticism of Common Core to be rather paranoid and misinformed about a lot of things. Many seem to be using it as yet another outlet to criticize President Obama and seem unaware that Common Core's foundations were during the Bush administration. That said, I am not a fan of the increased testing that has sprung up around Common Core, but recognize that the testing is separate from the standards themselves.
Some of the criticism maybe paranoia, but a lot of the criticism is legitimate. President Obama (who I supported) is not exactly a friend to public education and his daughters will not endure CC. But you hit the head with the testing. The problem in my state - besides a hugely botched rollout - is that curriculum must look like the test and the curriculum is just bad. Hopefully curriculum coordinators were able to spend the summer developing their own curriculum as my son's class was introduced to a math concept one day than tested on it the next day.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:36 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,582,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
For what it is worth the early adopters of Common Core did it when, two years ago? It is way too early to tell if there is anything wrong with it or not.

Only time will tell..
K-Luv,

That's the problem - only time will tell.

My younger brother ( by two years) got stuck with "new math" in the 60's. What a mess that was! Being a little older I missed the new math, but, during my early school years the new thing was to learn to spell by rote. For a few years they stopped teaching phonetics - to this day I can't sound out words - I have to memorize how a word is pronounced and spelled.

I remember as a kid learning to bowl ( big back in the 50's and 60's.) I was taught right handed because all my friends were taught right handed. I eventually realized that being left handed I would have better control of the ball if I used my left hand- but, once I had learned to bowl right handed I never could change my approach to start off on my other foot. Once learned it is hard to relearn a different way.

A change in the way something is taught can have a huge impact on a child for the rest of their life.

Too often we look back a few years later and wonder "what were they thinking?", but, by then the damage has already been done.

Mary2014

Old 08-05-2014, 03:31 PM

820 posts, read 1,213,352 times
Id suggest teaching your kids algebra, and calculus yourself, that way they will not be left behind with a crappy public school education.

Old 08-09-2014, 01:38 PM

77 posts, read 377,316 times
Id suggest teaching your kids algebra, and calculus yourself, that way they will not be left behind with a crappy public school education.

Not a good idea. You may show your child the methods that you were taught as a child, they will most likely be different than the methods being taught by the todays teacher. Your answer may be correct, but your child will be marked wrong because the process used to derive the answer was not the method being taught.
Talk about confusion for your child! Try to unlearn that, then have to relearn the "modern" method being taught today.
How do I know, my sister is going through this with her high school aged son.
Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: