Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 06:05 AM

9,729 posts, read 14,275,085 times

Advertisements

Sorry to say, I knew it would come to this.

Delaware has been actively luring out-of-state retirees here for at least the last 20 years, resulting in an older, grayer, population. The 50% school tax credit has been a big incentive for those seeking a cheaper place to retire, while yet enjoying Delaware's slower way of life, beautiful beaches, generally lower property taxes, and lower cost of living. Putting all our eggs in one basket is not paying off, is costing us money, and discouraging young people with new business ideas from settling in Delaware. It appears the 50% school tax credit incentive may be, at least, cut in half.

Gov. Markell calls for cuts to senior tax credits, road funds to balance budget | WDDE 91.1 FM | Delaware's NPR News station
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 06:38 AM

374 posts, read 518,006 times
Although in the future I would benefit from the school tax credit, maintaining good schools is critical to the future success of our state & country, and if the money is used directly to maintain good education then I am for that.

Taking (another) unpopular position, I support an increase in the gasoline tax if the money is used to maintain/ upgrade transportation infrastructure such as roads and bridges. IMHO, it is a great "direct" tax, in that the users of the service pay for the service. This is true not only for residents, but for the folks who drive here in the summer to enjoy the beach and "gas up" while they are here.

The problem is when the money is instead used to fund non-transportation projects. Which in many states, is almost always.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:48 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,137,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEveryDay View Post
Although in the future I would benefit from the school tax credit, maintaining good schools is critical to the future success of our state & country, and if the money is used directly to maintain good education then I am for that.

Taking (another) unpopular position, I support an increase in the gasoline tax if the money is used to maintain/ upgrade transportation infrastructure such as roads and bridges. IMHO, it is a great "direct" tax, in that the users of the service pay for the service. This is true not only for residents, but for the folks who drive here in the summer to enjoy the beach and "gas up" while they are here.

The problem is when the money is instead used to fund non-transportation projects. Which in many states, is almost always.
I think you crawled into my computer and typed this for me. Our exact conversation when we heard about the budget. The reduction would be nice but for us it will not break us to continue to pay our taxes.
We were also in favor of the gas increase last year.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I think you crawled into my computer and typed this for me. Our exact conversation when we heard about the budget. The reduction would be nice but for us it will not break us to continue to pay our taxes.
We were also in favor of the gas increase last year.
Hi Nuts! I agree with...... The 50% school tax reduction would not break most of us. For us, it's only $150/year. We certainly were not anxiously waiting here in Delaware, from 1940 to 2005, for that perk.

However, no question that collectively, many $ incentives attract seniors to Delaware. I've always maintained....let's stop the insanity, and for the future of Delaware, let's provide incentives to attract bright, young people.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:37 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,193,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post

However, no question that collectively, many $ incentives attract seniors to Delaware. I've always maintained....let's stop the insanity, and for the future of Delaware, let's provide incentives to attract bright, young people.

Like well paying year around jobs????

Old 01-30-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
[/color]

Like well paying year around jobs????
Exactly. There's nothing here for young people.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:48 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,092,189 times
While it may not mean a lot of money, you have to be concerned about the trend. I had been thinking of moving to Delaware when I retire, but I was concerned that, with so many people moving from states like Maryland, eventually what happened in Colorado would happen there, too. Looks like I wasn't far off. As indicated above in posts from people who have moved from Chicago and Long Island, it is coming to pass.

Too bad Delaware. You have a long fight ahead to maintain your attraction.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
While it may not mean a lot of money, you have to be concerned about the trend.
I agree, and have watched this trend taking place over a period of many years. It's sad for me to read of all the young, bright, people distancing themselves from Delaware, because Delaware is simply a place for the old......the former Florida.

In 1946, when I was 6-7 yrs. old, I sat in front of my parents Mom & Pop store on Rt. 13 near Smyrna. To keep me busy, my parents asked me to count the different kinds of license plates traveling south on Rt. 13 (a one lane highway then) . When I asked my parents why all these people were coming to Delaware, I was told they were older people coming from other states, looking for a cheaper place to live and retire. My interpretation of that - These were poor, homeless people who couldn't afford to live in their own states anymore, and I felt very sorry for them......through a child's eyes.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:36 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,137,639 times
Cruzincat and RDLR, believe me I do understand what you are saying. For me from Long Island, I too experienced the same kind of disillusionment that you are. In 1952 my parents paid $11,750 for a 60 x 100 plot of land with a cape cod home on it. Today that very same home with no additions to it, but renovated kitchen and baths are selling for $550,000.
My dad was making $66 a week back then and took 30 years to pay the house off. The taxes on those homes back then were pennies compared to today where they are $10,000 plus. Today, on L.I. there are few places a young couple can buy without putting a crushing burden on themselves. In 1947, there was a planned neighborhood called Levittown, that built for returning GI's by the Levitts. The GI's didn't need cash down. Google Levittown for a very interesting history.

The sales tax in the county I lived is now 8.625%. The roads have been congested for years and the state has already taken over all available land via eminent domain to widen the Long Island Expressway. I guess my point is that nothing is ever like it was, some improvements are good and others not so good. Time marches on and we can't stop it.

I, for one, can understand that the DE. that you once knew is no longer, but for me it is still a great place to live.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I, for one, can understand that the DE. that you once knew is no longer, but for me it is still a great place to live.
That's not entirely it. Change is good, but Smart Change is not happening. I know nothing stays the same. Nobody understands that more than me. We bought 160 acres of clear, high land in 1965 here in Delaware for $42,500, and farmed it, all sassafras soils, I might add. We sold it 20 years later, with a brand new brick home on it, for $202,000. And as far as some of the most affluent neighborhoods in Lewes and Rehoboth....my father duck hunted on those lands. LOL I've seen lots of changes.

I still think Delaware is a great place to live. If I didn't I would not have spent 74 years here.

The sad part is, most of the young people who were born and raised here, left for greener pastures. Delaware's future looks bleak to me. It could be, our state officials are beginning to realize that now. It starts with minimizing the incentives for older people, and focusing more on attracting the young, smart people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware