Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 08:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,812 times

Advertisements

We are looking to make a move to the Delaware Shore from Long Island. Please can anyone give us any info on the safest towns (low crime) in the area?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 09:52 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,245,566 times
The entire area east of Rt 113 in Sussex County is quite safe. There are of course a few bad pockets. Would have to know what you are looking for to make specific recommendations.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:01 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,937,543 times
Agree with longneckone. Seriously, I would be the first one to whine and complain about crime/dirtbags, and let me assure you that both have been few and far between during my twelve+ years here in Ocean View. We had a couple drug houses in town which were shut down a few years ago and had no problems since then--at least not anywhere near where I live. We mostly have just property crimes towards vacation homes here. I regularly walk/run/bike outside alone all over town and I have never had a problem...ever. I go around with a decent cash wad on me when walking in town to pick up something and never have a worry in the world--it's THAT safe. I couldn't imagine having to live somewhere where I had to watch my back; I've become so accustomed to a worry free lifestyle in OV.

Town of Lewes is another safe place--lived there a couple years, no problems at all. Hope this helps you out....

Old 02-13-2015, 05:12 PM

13,072 posts, read 18,301,775 times
I guess I would want to know what you are referring to when you say crime. No matter where you hang your hat there will always be crime to some degree.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:33 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,174,921 times
Are there any unsafe towns in Sussex county? Naturally, the county is lacking in certain amenities, but I never thought of any of those towns as being remotely "unsafe" in the way that, say, certain neighborhoods in Philly or Wilmington are.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:13 AM

I really don't believe any towns in Sussex County are as bad or nearly as bad as the city of Wilmington or parts of Philly--nowhere even close to it. Now, there are quite a few that I refuse to drive around at night because shootings have become too common and there are just too many degenerates and drug addicts in those areas looking for someone to jump and rob. Seaford, Laurel, Bridgeville, pockets in the towns of Milford and Delmar, and west Rehoboth I would definitely avoid at night if I was a lone female....not that I would have any reason to visit those areas at night anyway.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:00 AM

789 posts, read 1,106,223 times
It's less 'safest towns' and more, 'a couple more dangerous pockets' as far as Sussex County goes. Generally the inner areas of Milford and Seaford are the toughest places you are going to find.

I'd also like to point out that there are numerous seemingly random trailer parks near Georgetown, Millsboro, Laurel and Greenwood that are probably best avoided.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:22 AM

Agree with seanlax....and ohhh yes! Plenty of seedy trailer parks in the county! Some really serious crimes happen in these shadier parks. I'm glad I don't live near any of them.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:46 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,245,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post

I'd also like to point out that there are numerous seemingly random trailer parks near Georgetown, Millsboro, Laurel and Greenwood that are probably best avoided.
There certainly are. There is a big difference between a run down seedy trailer park and an upscale "Mobile Home Park"

Old 02-16-2015, 12:22 PM

9,801 posts, read 14,375,757 times
I'm wondering if all these people asking about crime in Delaware realize that Delaware is only 96 miles long, and between 7 and 39 miles wide at the widest point. Delaware only consists of 2,044 square miles. There are very few definitive "crime lines" because there's so much agricultural land in Delaware. Sure, there are "pockets" but since there are so many crime questions from out-of-staters.....I'm wondering..... They should look at their own states, and see how they compare in size and population, as compared to Delaware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware